Considering First B Bag, Le Dix BACKPACK Yay or Nay?

L.Vuitton.Freak

Jason W
O.G.
Aug 27, 2011
Hi ladies and gents,

This is my first foray into the world of Balenciaga and well actually the first time I am on this Forum (check when I joined, yep I know it took me a long time to get to this point! :graucho:)

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has the Le Dix range and what they think of the Le Dix BACKPACK. Its more of an elongated North/South shape of the Le Dix with the added backpack straps on the back.

Has anyone actually handled one of these before? What is the leather like, is it durable or is it fragile? Um I don't know what else to ask but the normal questions apply. I saw the price of it on the official Balenciaga website, and I must say, it is pretty reasonable, compared to LV where the mens backpacks now around 1.5K or above and they are in canvas. Or the ones from Saint Laurent where although they are leather they are over the 2.5K mark!

Where I live I don't have a Balenciaga boutique and the store that does stock Balenciaga does not have this particular style in stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TIA LVF

Ps. I am a guy of Asian descent about 6' tall and wears IT48 and is about 78kgs (171 pounds) swimmer/athletic build. My style is quite minimal - I mean with men's fashion there is not much that you can do. But I normally wear the spectrum from black to white and shades of blue :smile:

Thank you guys for your wonderful words!! It seems as though no one in the whole of Australia actually has this bag :sad: They have the Le Dix in the cross body/shoulder carry option the teeny tiny Le Dix and the bigger version (the Kelly look a likes) and then there is a even bigger one with the zippered compartment and the pochette, but no backpack!!!

It does actually remind of a Herbag backpack once you mention it! Of course, this one would be a whole lot easier to open and close the darn thing!

Thanks for the words of encouragement and considering this is supposed to be a flagship 'top of the range' bag that Balenciaga has to offer the pricing is really good!!

(I have to wait till the end of the year when I go to Hong Kong to purchase it!) Can't wait!! In the mean time does anyone actually have the Le Dix in ANY SHAPE OR FORM???

Okay .. I'm going to weigh in on this .. but a word of warning; I am a long-time Balenciaga collector .. my first bag being the "original" Le Dix Gold Label Flat Brass First (pic below). So, whenever I hear the term "Le Dix", I think about the original .. not the (IMO) sad excuse put out by Alex Wang.

While I have not seen the backpack, I have seen the "new" Le Dix bags and I am NOT a fan. Everything about them (again my opinion) is the total opposite of everything that was beloved of the Balenciaga brand. The leather is not special at all, the workmanship is 'meh' and they do not appear to be sturdy at all. Any Balenciaga "oldie" enthusiast will tell you that Bal bags are workhorses .. and could take a fair amount of abuse. This bag .. ah, NO .. can't see that.

While LV might be more expensive, it will in the long run be cheaper because LV can take the abuse (I can't even imagine this backpack in a massive downpour!). Also, LV stands behind their brand .. need to get something fixed, not a problem at LV .. try getting that at Balenciaga .. NOPE! Just some things to consider ...

Attachments

• LeDixFBF-Front3.jpg
    LeDixFBF-Front3.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 475
Okay .. I'm going to weigh in on this .. but a word of warning; I am a long-time Balenciaga collector .. my first bag being the "original" Le Dix Gold Label Flat Brass First (pic below). So, whenever I hear the term "Le Dix", I think about the original .. not the (IMO) sad excuse put out by Alex Wang.

While I have not seen the backpack, I have seen the "new" Le Dix bags and I am NOT a fan. Everything about them (again my opinion) is the total opposite of everything that was beloved of the Balenciaga brand. The leather is not special at all, the workmanship is 'meh' and they do not appear to be sturdy at all. Any Balenciaga "oldie" enthusiast will tell you that Bal bags are workhorses .. and could take a fair amount of abuse. This bag .. ah, NO .. can't see that.

While LV might be more expensive, it will in the long run be cheaper because LV can take the abuse (I can't even imagine this backpack in a massive downpour!). Also, LV stands behind their brand .. need to get something fixed, not a problem at LV .. try getting that at Balenciaga .. NOPE! Just some things to consider ...

Thanks CeeJay for your valued input!! A bit OT but just to say your B-Bag collection is almost legendary on my side of the woods! (I actually saw a pic of most if not all of your bags stacked up sent by my friend who is not a member of tPF).

At least I have six months or so to decide on it and well in that timeframe a lot can change so yeah, your warning has definitely been noted (I must say the Work and Weekender have also appealed to me too, might take a look at them as well!)

Thanks CeeJay for your valued input!! A bit OT but just to say your B-Bag collection is almost legendary on my side of the woods! (I actually saw a pic of most if not all of your bags stacked up sent by my friend who is not a member of tPF).

At least I have six months or so to decide on it and well in that timeframe a lot can change so yeah, your warning has definitely been noted (I must say the Work and Weekender have also appealed to me too, might take a look at them as well!)

Now you're talkin' .. a Work or Weekender would be PERFECT!

Now you're talkin' .. a Work or Weekender would be PERFECT!

Haha!! I really like the ones with the GIANT huge knobby hardware!! The one where its called G20 or was it 21 or was it 25, got no idea but maybe one in a navy blue or black or anthracite would be nice (maybe all three!) in either a Work or a Weekender format.. Hmm!! Lots of thinking to do!

Also the ones with the strings attached to the zipper pulls look nice too, but knowing myself one day I might get frustrated with them and maybe give them a trim or something, hoping it would grow back or something! :lol:

What do you think? If I was to consider the Work or Weekender, I was thinking of using it for uni. Definitely the Le Dix backpack would not sustain a MBP Retina 15' as well as a sketchbook, notebook and various SLG's stuffed in there and when I am at uni it would have to sustain a good amount of use...

Looks like I am talking myself in and out of purchasing a Le Dix and just go for what Balenciaga is known for!

Haha!! I really like the ones with the GIANT huge knobby hardware!! The one where its called G20 or was it 21 or was it 25, got no idea but maybe one in a navy blue or black or anthracite would be nice (maybe all three!) in either a Work or a Weekender format.. Hmm!! Lots of thinking to do!

Also the ones with the strings attached to the zipper pulls look nice too, but knowing myself one day I might get frustrated with them and maybe give them a trim or something, hoping it would grow back or something! :lol:

What do you think? If I was to consider the Work or Weekender, I was thinking of using it for uni. Definitely the Le Dix backpack would not sustain a MBP Retina 15' as well as a sketchbook, notebook and various SLG's stuffed in there and when I am at uni it would have to sustain a good amount of use...

Looks like I am talking myself in and out of purchasing a Le Dix and just go for what Balenciaga is known for!

That's what I was thinking .. a G21 (the '21' refers to the cm size of the hardware) Weekender .. or Work.

You can find the G21 Work or Weekender on the "usual" suspects (eBay, Bonanza, etc.) .. but scour around any local consignment shops too .. you never know!!

That size bag would be much more practical to carry a laptop, books, etc.; I used to use mine Weekenders for BIZ travel back and forth from the US to Europe. As a matter of fact, I used to put a City inside of the WE (abbreviation for Weekender), so that I could use it for everyday. The fact that the leather is lightweight is great and while other styles (Celine) appeal, the leather is just too darn heavy (and then try fitting all your stuff in and you feel like you're carrying a ton of bricks!).

That's what I was thinking .. a G21 (the '21' refers to the cm size of the hardware) Weekender .. or Work.

You can find the G21 Work or Weekender on the "usual" suspects (eBay, Bonanza, etc.) .. but scour around any local consignment shops too .. you never know!!

That size bag would be much more practical to carry a laptop, books, etc.; I used to use mine Weekenders for BIZ travel back and forth from the US to Europe. As a matter of fact, I used to put a City inside of the WE (abbreviation for Weekender), so that I could use it for everyday. The fact that the leather is lightweight is great and while other styles (Celine) appeal, the leather is just too darn heavy (and then try fitting all your stuff in and you feel like you're carrying a ton of bricks!).

Ohh ok G21 is size of the studs.. I assume it is in millimeters right?? LOL Imagine 21cm studs.. I bet you the B-bags won't be light anymore!

I just came back home and I am on ebay as we speak looking at WE and Works :smile: Thanks for the 101 on Balenciaga terminology!

Wow you could fit a bag within a bag and other things for trips!! And still light!! Now that is a good selling point!

Like you said carrying a Celine, especially a large Phantom (the one Celine that I do own) is like a brick empty and then put a 2.5kg computer in there as well as books and stuff it is really heavy (gives me a good workout though!)

Thank you again for you help CeeJay!! Don't worry as I will be asking you a lot of questions if you don't mind!