Considering doing my own make up for my wedding-- Tips?

may3545

Happy living
O.G.
Mar 15, 2006
I generally do not wear much make up, and I am hesitant to have a make up artist put on a lot of make up on my face for my wedding, and paying a lot for that.

I plan to apply my own make up for the big day. Any tips for long lasting make up and suggestions for practice?

Thanks in advance~!

Would you consider going to an artist whose work you like before the wedding, explaining the look you want, and asking her to help you replicate it?

The only reason I would work with a makeup artist is that you will know your makeup/skin will look perfect for photos. If you do it yourself, it may look wonderful in person, but not the same in pictures, if you KWIM?

Let me move this to our Make Up forum for you. Good luck!!

I did my own. I went to the Bobbi Brown counter at NM and told them I wanted to. We walked through it all start to finish and I bought everything. I was very happy!

Would you consider going to an artist whose work you like before the wedding, explaining the look you want, and asking her to help you replicate it?

The only reason I would work with a makeup artist is that you will know your makeup/skin will look perfect for photos. If you do it yourself, it may look wonderful in person, but not the same in pictures, if you KWIM?

Thanks!

I just spoke with a good friend who does amazing professional makeup, and she's going to help me out. Phew! I have over 7 months to practice.... I just like to jump the gun and plan ahead. :biggrin:

I did my own makeup when I got married! It was in Hawaii which is a different climate that my skin was used to but it turned out beautifully!

The reason why I did it? Only I know myself and what I like and dislike. Sometimes having someone else doing something for you is hard because the person does not know what you like and can go the opposite of what you want. I did not wanted to regret my wedding pictures by having too much makeup on which I never do normally.
Plus, I know the products that work for my skin type (i have very oily skin) and those are products that maybe a makeup artist would not have in her makeup bag. The last thing you want on your wedding day is having a major breakout! From my own experience, having too many layers of concealer, foundation and powder does not give me a flawless look but makes me break out instead! I also apply my blush a certain way because of my square face etc etc... It sounds silly but to me it makes perfect sense. They are little details, but they are very important!

I would say go with what you feel the most comfortable with and with what you think you will never regret. It is not because "traditionally" women get their makeup done professionally on their big day than everybody has to do the same!

I did my own makeup when I got married! It was in Hawaii which is a different climate that my skin was used to but it turned out beautifully!

The reason why I did it? Only I know myself and what I like and dislike. Sometimes having someone else doing something for you is hard because the person does not know what you like and can go the opposite of what you want. I did not wanted to regret my wedding pictures by having too much makeup on which I never do normally.
Plus, I know the products that work for my skin type (i have very oily skin) and those are products that maybe a makeup artist would not have in her makeup bag. The last thing you want on your wedding day is having a major breakout! From my own experience, having too many layers of concealer, foundation and powder does not give me a flawless look but makes me break out instead! I also apply my blush a certain way because of my square face etc etc... It sounds silly but to me it makes perfect sense. They are little details, but they are very important!

I would say go with what you feel the most comfortable with and with what you think you will never regret. It is not because "traditionally" women get their makeup done professionally on their big day than everybody has to do the same!

I'm Asian, and I have an oily face most of the time. My wedding is in July, so it will also be warm (hopefully). Can you tell me some of your makeup suggestions?

I did my own, but then again I'm a makeup artist! :P

Choose a good primer and a foundation that matches your neck and doesn't streak when you cry/sweat. Always use waterproof EVERYTHING around the eyes and invest in a really good eyeshadow primer that you can use on the lower lash line, too. Have your MOH or one of your BM carry blotting papers, powder and your lipgloss/lipstick for you.
Go easy on the foundation and use concealer where needed (liquid for under the eyes, cream for spots etc.) and don't be afraid to use fake lashes! If you choose the right ones, they can look very natural and just enhance what you already have :smile:

I'm Asian, and I have an oily face most of the time. My wedding is in July, so it will also be warm (hopefully). Can you tell me some of your makeup suggestions?

I swear by Almay TLC. It is the only foundation that works for me. I always get compliments on how beautiful my skin is when I wear it. At my wedding, I used my favorite foundation, did my eyes with my favorite Maybelline eye shadow in "Sunlit Bronze" (the "bronze Tlitz" is very good too) and applied mascara. For the eyeshadow, I like how natural the colors are but also how sparkly they are. They is something about sparkles that gives life to the eyes! For my cheeks, I used a little of bite of bronzer to give it some definition (it works for my face type). Finally for my lips, I used some clear lipgloss.

I did my own, but then again I'm a makeup artist! :P

Choose a good primer and a foundation that matches your neck and doesn't streak when you cry/sweat. Always use waterproof EVERYTHING around the eyes and invest in a really good eyeshadow primer that you can use on the lower lash line, too. Have your MOH or one of your BM carry blotting papers, powder and your lipgloss/lipstick for you.
Go easy on the foundation and use concealer where needed (liquid for under the eyes, cream for spots etc.) and don't be afraid to use fake lashes! If you choose the right ones, they can look very natural and just enhance what you already have :smile:

Awesome, thanks!

I did my own makeup for my wedding with a mix of drugstore and high-end products. I wrote about it for my blog a while back, so if you're interested you can check out the link below:

http://madeupinboston.blogspot.com/2011/06/diy-wedding-makeup.html

I'm not a makeup artist and the advice given in the post if just my own opinion, so don't feel like you have to adhere to everything I did. They're just tips that I know worked very well for me :smile:

Either way, best of luck to you, and congrats on your wedding! I'm positive you'll make a lovely bride no matter what, makeup or no :smile: