Ballon Bleu De Cartier Watch

cartier and rolex are both very fine brands with superb histories and will never go out of style in a general sense. that being said i would stay away from a colored dial (too trendy) and I would say that rolex probably makes a better watch (as in the mechanism) and have perhaps a better resale value. again i am generalizing because different styles and combinations have different appeal.

- On the Cartier site it says that the BB is "water resistant to 30 metres" does this mean I won't have to take it off when I go swimming? Do you ladies always take your watches off in the shower?

I always take mine off to shower, do dishes, etc. It can handle a little water, but it's not super duper waterproof.

- I've read a few threads on a watch forum and some of the posters called Cartier a "trendy" brand whereas brands like Rolex are more "classic & timeless". Do you feel this is the case with the BB and will it become "old fashioned"?

Cartier isn't trendy, they've been making watches for 100 years.

And lastly, I can't seem to decide between these 2 BBs - medium 2 tone or pink face medium 2 tone. Which one do you think looks better? I've been slightly put off by the small size BB as it runs on batteries, so medium it is!

I like the white face MUCH better.

Thank you in advance for any input!

Cartier highly recommends routine servicing every 2 years for both automatic and quartz watches.
My jeweler says that currently - in his store - Cartier is more desirable than Rolex.

I am surprised at every 2 years, I thought it was every 5!!

I also prefer the white face. Its more classic in my opinion. Enjoy and congrats on your engagement!

cartier and rolex are both very fine brands with superb histories and will never go out of style in a general sense. that being said i would stay away from a colored dial (too trendy) and I would say that rolex probably makes a better watch (as in the mechanism) and have perhaps a better resale value. again i am generalizing because different styles and combinations have different appeal.

Thank you akoko & Hermesholic. I've had a look at a few Rolexes but none of them jumped out at me like when I first saw the BB - I like its big round face, and how it doesn't look "cluttered" like some watches. Definitely won't ever be selling this one :biggrin:

- On the Cartier site it says that the BB is "water resistant to 30 metres" does this mean I won't have to take it off when I go swimming? Do you ladies always take your watches off in the shower?

I always take mine off to shower, do dishes, etc. It can handle a little water, but it's not super duper waterproof.

- I've read a few threads on a watch forum and some of the posters called Cartier a "trendy" brand whereas brands like Rolex are more "classic & timeless". Do you feel this is the case with the BB and will it become "old fashioned"?

Cartier isn't trendy, they've been making watches for 100 years.

And lastly, I can't seem to decide between these 2 BBs - medium 2 tone or pink face medium 2 tone. Which one do you think looks better? I've been slightly put off by the small size BB as it runs on batteries, so medium it is!

I like the white face MUCH better.

Thank you for your reply lanasyogamama. Does your BB get scratched easily? I understand that it's impossible to keep a watch pristine forever, but scratches tend to be more obvious on shiny, high polish surfaces, which the BB seems to have.

Congratulations on your new watch.
This is a gorgeous style.
Maybe for your first Cartier, get the white face yellow gold, then for the second Cartier have some fun and get the pink face rose gold!!!
Show us a wrist shot when you get it!

I prefer the white face much more as it complements the two tone bracelet as opposed to competing for attention with it. I've also often thought of the ballon bleu but ultimately chose Rolex. Definitely still on the radar though as I don't feel as though the BB will ever be outdated.

Hey there- I've had several Cartier watches including most recent the two tone rose gold one that you pictured except mine is also the dual time zone (you may want to consider that too, it's a fun look). I've had no issues with any of the Cartier watches. I got the two-tone BB in July and still haven't seen any scratches and I wear it 80% of the time. I typically give the watch a good wipe down every weekend with one of those jewelry cloths and it buffs out any minor scratches you may get. Hope this helps!

I prefer the white face much more as it complements the two tone bracelet as opposed to competing for attention with it. I've also often thought of the ballon bleu but ultimately chose Rolex. Definitely still on the radar though as I don't feel as though the BB will ever be outdated.

I think you're right in that with the pink there are too many colours. Definitely decided on the white face :biggrin:

Hey there- I've had several Cartier watches including most recent the two tone rose gold one that you pictured except mine is also the dual time zone (you may want to consider that too, it's a fun look). I've had no issues with any of the Cartier watches. I got the two-tone BB in July and still haven't seen any scratches and I wear it 80% of the time. I typically give the watch a good wipe down every weekend with one of those jewelry cloths and it buffs out any minor scratches you may get. Hope this helps!

I generally prefer clean looking watches with at most a small discreet date, anything else is too much for my liking. Won't have any need for a second time zone either :P

White face. As for whether it is trendy, I think it is more trendy among men. Women have worn them for years and will continue to in the future.

I really enjoy mine and I think this style is classic. Have you also looked at the Tank? If you are concerned about trendiness, this is the safer of the Cartier styles.

Now i absolutely love love Cartier watches and they are my fave but they do have a not as great reputation in the Swiss luxury watch world. Cartier has always been known as a luxury jewelry maker, not a watch maker as something like a rolex is. I would personally get the medium white face bb and that is my next purchase, but if you are comparing it to a rolex, this is what i have learned about older cartier watches and trends. First, cartier will not hold its value at all unless you re-sell it at a time the style is currently being made. Even then you would only get about a third to a half if you're lucky. If you buy a Cartier watch do so to love it and keep it for a long time and not for any potential resale. Older cartier watches are viewed by a lot of resellers and watchmakers as junk. I know this as i have a Panther and that is what every watchmaker tells me. Every service for your Cartier will run about $400 to service the movement. This is recommended to do every two years and takes weeks. But $200 a year is not unreasonable for maintenance imo. Also, Cartier two tones are gold plated and not solid gold like other brands. I think Cartier "dates" their watches themselves by discontinuing their styles often. Other brands have the same styles as they originally had and people view those as classics while cartier gets the tendy reputation due to its turnover. So i do think cartier is a trendy watch but i love them a lot and would buy them every time despite their reputation. So buy the BB but because you love it and don't care what its future value would be.