Considering a Cartier Ballon Bleu... have a few questions

BabyPo

Oct 2, 2011
To my surprise my mother has said she'll buy me the 2 tone Cartier Ballon Bleu I'd been coveting since forever as my engagement present :biggrin: Through her company she can get a discount at one of the Cartier stockists, so it works out a little cheaper too.

As this will be my first luxury watch (also first Cartier!) and I want to make sure it will last me for years to come, I made a list of questions I would really appreciate if someone could answer. I don't know much about watches and pick them based on looks, so apologies in advace if some questions are a bit noob.

- Do Cartier watches last a long time? i.e. 60+ years, I can pass it on to future generations etc.
- Will I need to have it serviced often? Will this cost a lot?
- On the Cartier site it says that the BB is "water resistant to 30 metres" does this mean I won't have to take it off when I go swimming? Do you ladies always take your watches off in the shower?
- I've read a few threads on a watch forum and some of the posters called Cartier a "trendy" brand whereas brands like Rolex are more "classic & timeless". Do you feel this is the case with the BB and will it become "old fashioned"?

And lastly, I can't seem to decide between these 2 BBs - medium 2 tone or pink face medium 2 tone. Which one do you think looks better? I've been slightly put off by the small size BB as it runs on batteries, so medium it is!

Thank you in advance for any input!

ame

O.G.
Mar 22, 2007
I prefer the one on the left. The pink one would get "old" after a while. Not very adult IMO.

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
I will try to help you as I own an automatic ss medium ballon blue.
I don't know the longevity or if it would last 60+.
Cartier highly recommends routine servicing every 2 years for both automatic and quartz watches.
My jeweler says that currently - in his store - Cartier is more desirable than Rolex.
I don't believe that the ballon bleu will ever become old-fashioned.
I also have a pink face cartier roadster and often I regret that I did the pink and wished I did white. So therefore I recommend white face to you.
Hope that helps!

BabyPo

Oct 2, 2011
Thank you for your replies ame & Hokaplan! I'm starting to lean towards the white 2 tone too, the contrast makes the numbers look nicer.

akoko

Oct 18, 2010
I also prefer the white face. Its more classic in my opinion. Enjoy and congrats on your engagement!

May 6, 2007
cartier and rolex are both very fine brands with superb histories and will never go out of style in a general sense. that being said i would stay away from a colored dial (too trendy) and I would say that rolex probably makes a better watch (as in the mechanism) and have perhaps a better resale value. again i am generalizing because different styles and combinations have different appeal.

lanasyogamama

What time is it?
O.G.
Oct 30, 2007
Juste Delighted!
- On the Cartier site it says that the BB is "water resistant to 30 metres" does this mean I won't have to take it off when I go swimming? Do you ladies always take your watches off in the shower?

I always take mine off to shower, do dishes, etc. It can handle a little water, but it's not super duper waterproof.

- I've read a few threads on a watch forum and some of the posters called Cartier a "trendy" brand whereas brands like Rolex are more "classic & timeless". Do you feel this is the case with the BB and will it become "old fashioned"?

Cartier isn't trendy, they've been making watches for 100 years.

And lastly, I can't seem to decide between these 2 BBs - medium 2 tone or pink face medium 2 tone. Which one do you think looks better? I've been slightly put off by the small size BB as it runs on batteries, so medium it is!

I like the white face MUCH better.

Thank you in advance for any input!
Cartier highly recommends routine servicing every 2 years for both automatic and quartz watches.
My jeweler says that currently - in his store - Cartier is more desirable than Rolex.
I am surprised at every 2 years, I thought it was every 5!!

BabyPo

Oct 2, 2011
I also prefer the white face. Its more classic in my opinion. Enjoy and congrats on your engagement!
cartier and rolex are both very fine brands with superb histories and will never go out of style in a general sense. that being said i would stay away from a colored dial (too trendy) and I would say that rolex probably makes a better watch (as in the mechanism) and have perhaps a better resale value. again i am generalizing because different styles and combinations have different appeal.
Thank you akoko & Hermesholic. I've had a look at a few Rolexes but none of them jumped out at me like when I first saw the BB - I like its big round face, and how it doesn't look "cluttered" like some watches. Definitely won't ever be selling this one :biggrin:

BabyPo

Oct 2, 2011

I always take mine off to shower, do dishes, etc. It can handle a little water, but it's not super duper waterproof.

Cartier isn't trendy, they've been making watches for 100 years.

I like the white face MUCH better.
Thank you for your reply lanasyogamama. Does your BB get scratched easily? I understand that it's impossible to keep a watch pristine forever, but scratches tend to be more obvious on shiny, high polish surfaces, which the BB seems to have.

gelbergirl

hubba hubba ;)
O.G.
Sep 23, 2006
NYC metro-area
Congratulations on your new watch.
This is a gorgeous style.
Maybe for your first Cartier, get the white face yellow gold, then for the second Cartier have some fun and get the pink face rose gold!!!
Show us a wrist shot when you get it!

angelalam5

O.G.
Apr 4, 2008
I prefer the white face much more as it complements the two tone bracelet as opposed to competing for attention with it. I've also often thought of the ballon bleu but ultimately chose Rolex. Definitely still on the radar though as I don't feel as though the BB will ever be outdated.

DA Club

O.G.
Dec 20, 2008
Blissful in Cali
Hey there- I've had several Cartier watches including most recent the two tone rose gold one that you pictured except mine is also the dual time zone (you may want to consider that too, it's a fun look). I've had no issues with any of the Cartier watches. I got the two-tone BB in July and still haven't seen any scratches and I wear it 80% of the time. I typically give the watch a good wipe down every weekend with one of those jewelry cloths and it buffs out any minor scratches you may get. Hope this helps!