Confused with PayPal transaction. HELP!!

MsSJones

Sep 9, 2013
United Kingdom
Hello! :smile:

I really need you help!!

Seven days ago I sold a pair of brand new shoes on eBay. The shoes arrived on Tuesday and the buyer wanted to return because she got confused with the US/UK shoe size distinction. Now, that was not my fault because I had included two different links about the shoe sizes and had highlighted that buyers should be careful with this.

Anyway, I really don't want to get any negative feedback because my feedback so far has been perfect and I worked hard to achieve this. I accepted the return and the shoes are in the same condition, and I just issued the refund.

HOWEVER, I am confused with Paypal. The shoes cost £153 and the postage was for £4 so that brings the sale price to £157. I had the fee of £5.54 from Paypal and that left me with £151.46.

Now that I issued the refund it shows that there is -£157 gross and the fee of 5.54 and the net is -£151.46. Does this mean that I sent her £157 or £151.46????? I am completely confused!!

PS. I am such a idiot when it comes to maths, even basic sometimes, so I am sorry if my question is utterly stupid!! :shame:

Sep 11, 2006
U.K.
Hello! :smile:

I really need you help!!

Seven days ago I sold a pair of brand new shoes on eBay. The shoes arrived on Tuesday and the buyer wanted to return because she got confused with the US/UK shoe size distinction. Now, that was not my fault because I had included two different links about the shoe sizes and had highlighted that buyers should be careful with this.

Anyway, I really don't want to get any negative feedback because my feedback so far has been perfect and I worked hard to achieve this. I accepted the return and the shoes are in the same condition, and I just issued the refund.

HOWEVER, I am confused with Paypal. The shoes cost £153 and the postage was for £4 so that brings the sale price to £157. I had the fee of £5.54 from Paypal and that left me with £151.46.

Now that I issued the refund it shows that there is -£157 gross and the fee of 5.54 and the net is -£151.46. Does this mean that I sent her £157 or £151.46????? I am completely confused!!

PS. I am such a idiot when it comes to maths, even basic sometimes, so I am sorry if my question is utterly stupid!! :shame:
When you issue a refund to buyer then your fees for receiving the initial payment (minus the standard 20p) are refunded by Paypal. So you basically have a loss of 20p on this transaction.

Technically, "you" refunded the net amount and PP refunded the "fee" amount (minus the 20p). Your buyer has been made whole so don't worry about that.

Does that make sense? Don't forget to ask the buyer to cancel the transaction on ebay so that you receive a refund of your ebay fees too.

MsSJones

Sep 9, 2013
United Kingdom
When you issue a refund to buyer then your fees for receiving the initial payment (minus the standard 20p) are refunded by Paypal. So you basically have a loss of 20p on this transaction.

Technically, "you" refunded the net amount and PP refunded the "fee" amount (minus the 20p). Your buyer has been made whole so don't worry about that.

Does that make sense? Don't forget to ask the buyer to cancel the transaction on ebay so that you receive a refund of your ebay fees too.
Thank you for this!! I get it now!!

Oh, and THANK YOU SO MUCH for reminding me about the need to cancel the transaction on ebay. I had totally forgot it! I have send her the request and hopefully she will agree to it! ;)