confused: camel o sling: barney's vs saks's (kid vs jazz???)

can008

O.G.
Feb 25, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
Ladies, I am a little confused here.
The o my sling that was in Barney last season vs the one is saks.com now: are they the same?
I am still hunting for camel/beige o sling but it has come to my attention that they might be different.
The one in saks.com looks like jazz (smooth and shiny leather) while the one in Barney's look like the normal leather to me.
Am i right?
I saw a camel o sling here in Melbourne, Australia, that seems shiny/smooth. Maybe it's what you all refer to as jazz? I really like it but it is quite expensive here. I am thinking of ordering from Saks but want to make sure it is shiny/smooth leather (jazz), not the usual leather.
Please help.

Attachments

Mar 7, 2006
the big apple
The Saks version (at least from the online photo) appears to have a slightly higher heel. The O-My-Sling did come in different heel heights. Barneys got the lower version (85-90mm version) for sure. Boutiques had/have them in a higher heel height (exactly like the Decollete 868 heel).

Azusa

O.G.
Mar 9, 2008
Melbourne AUS
can, i know the one you are talking about at DJs, its definately different from the one on the left from barneys.
the barneys one i have a pair but in cobalt blue, they are the same kid leather. but the one in djs, is like a patent leather (i am not sure if thats what you referred as jazz...)

i dont know if the saks photo is the shiny one (though it looks like it) but the barneys one is definately kid. the barneys one is definately not the DJ ones in melb

can008

O.G.
Feb 25, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
Hey, Azusa. Hahaha, yes, glad to know someone has looked at the DJ's one. I am not sure what jazz is either... I think the DJ one is jazz... as it is not kid or patent, but somewhere in between. Hmmm... maybe I should just buy from DJ if they have my size. DO you know if DJ will have some Loubie sale soon?

can008

O.G.
Feb 25, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
yea... i know... I can not be sure that what i saw was jazz though...
but i think it is since it is shiny leather, not patent and not kid. =)

LavenderIce

Vintage CLs please
O.G.
Dec 19, 2006
IMO, camel looks best in patent i.e. the camel patent Decollettes. I think jazz leather sort of dulls it. I'm not sure if the O Mys came in camel jazz, I thought they were kid leather.

snf8

O.G.
Mar 26, 2008
Las Vegas
to me, the second picture looks more like patent than jazz. but thats just my opinion. i dont think jazz is quite that shiny...

linpaddy

O.G.
Dec 26, 2007
I have the camel oh my slings from Barneys.

It is the 85 mm.

The leather is kid and definitely not patent. I actually did not like the camel color in patent since it's very shiny/yellowish and IMO, the kid leather is closer to my skin tone and elongates my legs. I wanted shoes that won't 'break' the line of legs. In other words, naked shoes! :graucho: But again, that's a personal preference.

Barneys had the Oh My Slings in camel, black, blue, and hot pink.

I also want to add that while the kid leather is soft, it's not as soft as nappa leather so the shoes remain crease free!

can008

O.G.
Feb 25, 2008
Melbourne, AUS
Thank you ladies for your thoughts! I do need more opinions on these as I am not sure which one I want.
I think Barney's o my sling has run out so whether I want to get from Saks (possibly jazz/patent) or from the local store David Jones, which I think is jazz. I am sure the one in DJ is not patent but seems a bit shinier than the one next to it, which i think is the normal leather (kid?). It is funny that it stand next to a gray patent o my and a black leather o my. So I am sure those three are different, just can't pin the type.
Probably because I am not sure the difference between nappa and kid either.:sad:
Maybe I should just decide if I want to buy the DJ one....

linpaddy

O.G.
Dec 26, 2007
The kid leather is not actually dull looking. It's very smooth and there's a little sheen on it. I'll try to take a picture when DH is not so busy.