Confused about Evelyne

ABlovesH

Feb 16, 2011
Hello ladies! I am hoping you can help me out with my first Hermes Evelyne handbag purchase. I have seen pictures of two different sizes-- one is more elongated looking and the other is slightly more squarish. I prefer the less elongated/ more squarish bag. So which size should my SA be looking for for me? Or is the more squarish one an older version?? Thanks so much-- I am very excited to get an Evelyne since I think it will be the perfect bag to use with my toddler since my other H bags aren't always practical. :smile:

cvw1004

O.G.
Apr 1, 2008
UK
The reference section should have the info you need. I'm not sure they are as practical as they look, I certainly don't find mine particularly practical and the strap bugs me. You should definately try one before deciding. HTH.

ABlovesH

Feb 16, 2011
The reference section should have the info you need. I'm not sure they are as practical as they look, I certainly don't find mine particularly practical and the strap bugs me. You should definately try one before deciding. HTH.
I've read a lot of the posts about the Evelyne, and as best I can tell, the more squarish size is the GM, but even in the member pics, some GMs seem to be more elongated, so I don't know if there is a specific type of GM to look for?? And the posts with the measurements don't really help because I don't know if the measurments are taken at the outer edge of the bag, or at the top center. :confused1: My local H store doesn't carry a large selection-- usually just one in stock, if that so I'm only going by pictures I've seen.

I actually don't need my bags to hold a ton--I really just love the idea of being able to wear this bag crossbody if I need to have my hands free. I plan on adding an H scarf so I can wear this as a shoulder bag. What exactly do you find unpractical about this bag? Most of the posts give it glowing reviews! Thanks so much for your input!

Last edited:

hgbag

Leather LVer
O.G.
May 20, 2008
I love the Evelyne and find it very practical with the adjustable strap. If you are looking at a GM Evelyne, the newer versions have an adjustable strap, so you wouldn't need a scarf to make it a shoulder bag. HTH! Enjoy the search!

ABlovesH

Feb 16, 2011
I love the Evelyne and find it very practical with the adjustable strap. If you are looking at a GM Evelyne, the newer versions have an adjustable strap, so you wouldn't need a scarf to make it a shoulder bag. HTH! Enjoy the search!
Hmmm, for some reason I thought the strap didn't adjust to be very short-- that it's still fairly long even on the shortest setting? I actually don't mind using a scarf since I love the look!

hgbag

Leather LVer
O.G.
May 20, 2008
Hmmm, for some reason I thought the strap didn't adjust to be very short-- that it's still fairly long even on the shortest setting? I actually don't mind using a scarf since I love the look!
With the adjustable strap, the bag is very comfortable on the shoulder. I sent mine to my sister to try (she has a toddler and infant and can really appreciate the dual options), or I would be happy to send you a picture.

BHmommy

O.G.
Mar 12, 2008
city of angels
the older-version GM III evelynes used to have straps that could be shortened very short so that you can carry the evelyne like a shoulder bag. however, due to design issues causing the strap to slip and not maintain the desired length, those older straps were phased out/replaced by the new/current-version III straps that cannot be shortened to make a shoulder bag. the new/current III evelyne strap, even at its shortest setting, would put the bag at your hip/thigh depending on how tall you are.

i have a GM II, and it is the perfect mommy bag! the strap of the GM II is not adjustable, but its length is perfect for me - sits a bit higher than a GM III at its shortest strap length (since i'm a shorty i never needed to elongate the strap). plus, i did not like all the extra hardware of the III's adjustable strap, as it aggravated my collarbone when i would carry messenger-style.

ABlovesH

Feb 16, 2011
With the adjustable strap, the bag is very comfortable on the shoulder. I sent mine to my sister to try (she has a toddler and infant and can really appreciate the dual options), or I would be happy to send you a picture.
Thanks!! I'll see if I can find one to try on, though usually I prefer my bags to have short straps when worn on the shoulder. I suppose that's what is nice about this bag-- so many options!!!

mistikat

Bling!
O.G.
Sep 2, 2006
The Evelyne III strap is adjustable, but the strap is not that short when worn at its shortest length. I double the strap and tie a scarf to the d ring to attach it, and that makes it sit right under my arm.

ABlovesH

Feb 16, 2011
The Evelyne III strap is adjustable, but the strap is not that short when worn at its shortest length. I double the strap and tie a scarf to the d ring to attach it, and that makes it sit right under my arm.
I finally tried one on recently & you are right-- it is still very long even at the shortest setting. I wonder if I could custom order a shorter strap? Also it was very strange-- most of the Evelyne bags I saw at the boutique had the same strap, but one had a slightly different strap, so I'm wondering if they redesigned the strap again recently?

It was the GM size I tried on but it was definitely more elongated than some of the Evelynes I have seen pictured here, so now I'm not even sure if I want an Evelyne III or if I should search the resale market for the more squarish shape that I prefer (still unsure which version that is though!).

Seriously, of all of the Hermes bags, the Evelyne is the most confusing! Not only have there been 3 versions but it seems like there are variations even within each version!