confuse over GHW and SHW

lpp

Aug 26, 2009
Hi everyone here,, I am new in this forum. I would like to get some precious opinions from Chanel fans here.. I purchased my 1st Chanel classic flap , lamb skin, medium with Gold hardware in Paris in 2008 Dec.. I dont really like the lambskin and I did not use it and sold it to my friend. So currently I am planing to buy another 1 but in caviar skin. I like Gold hardware very much but I realized that the CC is no longer marked 22k gold plated anymore as discussed in another thread. I went to 3 different shops in Paris, all the SAs told me they dont have any idea about the changes but 1 of the manager told me that even thought it has changed but the material for making the hardware is still the same quality and Chanel has never use any real gold in making the hardware. She seems impatience and unhapppy because some customers were also listening to our conversation and looking at her to answer me.:s I dont know if I can believe her's words as she looked at me as I dont know anything about Chanel and also I am an asian.. When I showed her mine and compared with those they have in the store, she looked at me as I am stupid and told me it is just new pattern of making the hardware but no different in term of the materials..:weird:I was really upset and asked if she can show me the silver hardware. She told me the whole paris, UK, and Italy now is run out of silver hardware. I asked how about in September? will they get any new stock? She told me that normally in winter they dont produce silver hardware. I was a bit pissed but still requested her nicely if she can reserve 1 (SHW) for me if there is any new stock coming in SEP since I fly to paris for work very often. She refused and said they dont do reservation. :sad: I was speechless as all the SAs in the shops were looking at me as I was asking them a stupid question..

So anyone here can help me ? I love GHW, but because of this, I am thinking to get a SHW but they are not in stock for a long time.. If I just buy the new GHW that they are making now,, is the quality will be the same as last time?? and can I really believe in Chanel with such SAs that working for it?? I have purchased many bags from LV and all the time the SAs there could answer my concerns pretty well and they are all very good in term of product knowledge. I am quite upset with the way that Chanel SAs treated me and it actually made me feel scared to go back to those same shops to buy things from them.. Anyone here have any idea regarding the new Gold Hardware made off and is it the same quality as those previous one?? Because if it the same,, I dont mind getting a new medium classic flap with caviar skin (GHW) since I love the bag so much.

P.S . Sorry for my broken english above.

lallybelle

O.G.
Jan 28, 2009
NYC
Nobody knows why the hallmark is gone. It is assumed (probably correctly) that the gold is no longer 22K plated. Since this is new there is no way to tell yet if it will last the same amount of time or not.

lpp

Aug 26, 2009
Lallybelle, Yes that is what I told them too but the manager insisted that they never used any real gold for GHW and there is no different between the one now and before. I also afraid of the quality of the current GHW as I have heard many people said it might crack over time and that is why I am looking now for the alternative which is SHW but they told me no more stock and they might not produce it for winter and many months. :sad:

Yes bcbggirl, it sucks that being treated that way. I am an asian girl with petite size. I normally dont talk loud but then the way those french SAs treated me is really scary to me..I thought as a customer we have the right to ask questions we dont know but it seems not that way in paris. I remember once I was shouted by a make SA and he told me that he has no idea what I am talking about the GHW and he is has no time to answer me since he has others customers who want to buy bags from him..:shocked:

kichichan

Apr 5, 2009
USA
Sorry to hear your bad experiences in Paris botiques. I have been to rue Cambon and Fabourg St Honore and I had a good treating from the SA (even thought I am an Asian as well). I have no idea about what made of the GHW but I think the SA might be right, they have never made any real gold for the hardware (since I have heard about it from a friend who was working in Chanel before).

lpp

Aug 26, 2009
Hii kichichan,Thanks for spending time to read my post. So as what you have said that chanel have never used any real gold for the hardware,, then why I have read some threads saying that the hallmark on the CC is representing the hardware is 24k gold plated? I am just wondering. If its really like what you told me then there should not be any different between the gold hardware before and now and it should be fine for me to still purchasing chanel bags with Gold Hardware? I am sorry that I sound annoying here but as paying such a high price for a bag, I really hope Chanel can maintain the quality of the product. Anyone have any idea regarding the quality between the Gold hardware before and now?

theknees

O.G.
Nov 22, 2006
i just came back from Milan and they didn't have the Black Caviar Jumbo in silver hardware. but they had the medium/large in silver hardware. i had a bad experience there too. :sad: i posted my experience in another thread. i didn't even know there was soft caviar and hard caviar. :sad: