Conflicted -- What to do? What to Do?

Echoes

O.G.
Aug 8, 2008
Heard some meowing the other night which isn't really unusual considering the neighbor has cats and there are some strays around. Went out to the garage the next morning to open the overhead door and found a cat inside the garage where it had been all night. Apparently it got in the day before since I usually leave the doors open while I'm out in the yard.

It scampered at first, then hid out under the car for a while. Final came out and I made the mistake of talking to it. On went the 'cute mode'; meowing, prancing, rubbing my leg, the whole nine yards. Got it outside, closed the doors and went abut my business for the day, but now with a shadow. Under my feet, in front of me so I had to be careful not to step on it or trip over it. Figured it would wander off to wherever it came from. Nope.

Went out this morning and it was still here. Carried it down to the neighbors to see if it was theirs. Set it down and it ran into their shed with the other cats just like it belonged there. An hour later it's back here.

I'm sitting in a chair in the yard working on something. It jumps up on the chair, climbs up my back and plants itself on my shoulders.

Fairly big, black, mid length fur, male. Has just a few scattered white 'hairs' mixed in, typical green eyes. Purrs like crazy.

Now, the problem is, how do I keep it out of the garage? I don't want to have to keep the doors closed while I'm working outside. I don't want it in the house. I'm just getting the place de-catted - scratch and claw marks fixed, fur vacuumed from odd places, etc. This cat has probably never been inside and wouldn't know what to do with a litter box. I'm not in a position to be buying cat food either whether it's inside or out.

I have an outside shed it can use for shelter from the wind and rain/snow, but it won't help for the cold.

I don't really want it around here, but I don't mind too much and I don't want to be mean and chase it off.

I'm no help--I wouldn't know what to do either and would be terribly conflicted about the situation. We've rescued dogs for decades and have never been without one. For various reasons we've decided our current dog will be our last so I too hope to get all traces of doggy damage, smell, hair, etc. out of the house when it's his time to go.

Good luck whatever you do.

sounds like he's adopted you......what I wonder is who had him before? when they're so friendly you know they had a home
did someone take him for a ride and drop him in your neighborhood?
Sorry I don't really have any advice. Could you let him stay in your garage at night and outdoors during the day? would you be willing to feed him?
If he's so cute and friendly I guess you could take him to a no-kill shelter and hopefully someone would adopt him

If he ran into the neighbor's shed with the other cats I would assume that is where he belongs. Maybe he just needs a vacation so he is handing out with you for awhile. :biggrin:

I was adopted by a wild turtle many years ago.
Crawled into the backyard & dove into my way-too-small water feature.
(Not much turtle habitat available, in many cities.)
We became friends & it didn't leave--I dug a larger pond & bought food.

Living with this animal has brought about great experiences I'd have missed otherwise.
I consider it a divine gift, from One who knew more than me @ the time.

Maybe this cat's the same kind of gift, for you?
It sounds like a sweet one.

I would trade a de-furred clean house with spotless furniture for a soft loving purr bundle any day. You can love your things but they will never love you back

Get the furminator. I learned about it from a different thread and got it for my beau's kitty. It works wonders. She used to shed like crazy and now she doesn't shed at all and instead exhibits a very sleek well oiled furry body.

I would almost rather it found another place to hang out. There are wild rabbits around here and I feed the birds. I've seen one of the other cats from the area stalking both and I don't need another hunter.

I don't want to be mean to it, but maybe I should just stop being friendly?

If I start putting food out, that may cause other problems, like drawing racoons. oppossums and who knows what else. I hear Coyotes at night and I don't want them near the house. There are also rumors of Bobcats around.

There is no where I could put food for this cat that other critters couldn't get to it, even in the shed.

If you really don't want the cat around you have to stop being friendly and chase him away every time he comes near you. Don't pet him, don't give him food and don't let him hang out. That said I would definitely have a new cat. He sounds like a really sweetie. :P

Could you chase this off?

Freaking thing follows me around the yard like a dog. I go to work on a spot, it parks itself beside me, laying down, preening, sitting up, whatever. I move, it follows.

It's fairly chubby, so it's been eating somewhere.

Attachments

• DSCF0877.jpg
    DSCF0877.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 258
  • DSCF0882.jpg
    DSCF0882.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 265
seems like you have a beautiful new companion
he probably wants to be at your house instead of being with all those cats where he came from

cats take naturally to a litter box so if you find a place for one (garage or house?) that probably won't be a problem