Conflicted About My Judgement Call

CassieH

Apr 20, 2015
Hi, everyone.
Can I get feedback on this situation?

I bought a used Chanel jumbo at regular Canadian price (but is considered discounted by USD standards) and with an extra large six hundred and fifty dollar customs fee (totally didn't know there was one that expensive) from the trusted Ann's Fabulous Finds. The service was great and the bag arrived as advertised, so I haven't had any issues. This was around Xmas of 2015.

I wanted the single flap jumbo in black caviar from the early 2000s to the late 2000s in silver hardware and black caviar. And the condition must have been considered excellent so it narrowed down the choices. Anyway, after it was shipped I paid about 6990 dollars CAD for everything including taxes, customs, and the USD / CAD conversion rate.

Just this Febuary they increase the price of the Chanel jumbo to 7,075 Canadian dollars two months I got mine shipped from the USA to Canada. I had considered waitlists and everything, but I knew, by that time, there would have been two more price hikes in Canada for a double flap model I had less interest in.

Was I a Schmuck to buy something from the USA? I honestly can't tell right now with my particular criteria for owning the jumbo and not living in a city with a boutique. I had saved about eighty five dollars at most but when another price hike comes it will feel like I saved money. So, I don't know if I made a good call after hearing that the earlier models were better quality, etc. Because if I had an issue with a Chanel bag in Canada, I would have had to pay for another ticket to travel to a store to refund it, etc. My only faulty move I own up to was not realizing ordering from AFF came with hefty customs charge fee.

I guess with Chanel officially making decisions to continue raising the prices but not improving quality, I kind of felt like I was voting with my money as well. Because ultimately, money has one of the biggest ability to keep a business thriving or not thriving.

With all the stories I hear about customers having to go back to a store to exchange a bag for crooked CCs, depuffed caviar quilts, etc and price increases... it's hard for me to do business directly with Chanel, its like rewarding them for shoddy workmanship at high costs to consumers.

:pokey:

I'd rather give my business to AFF and the previous owner of the jumbo bag as well. I guess my decision was part politically based too.

At the same time, I kind of feel like a schmuck for paying slightly higher prices for a used bag (granted, it was a 2008 jumbo in excellent condition).

:shrugs:

I just need to get this off my chest.

Hi CassieH,
I think if it were me I would look at it this way.. Yes, it was a lot of money, but it was for something you really wanted that isn't currently available directly from Chanel anyway.
Most of my friends think I'm crazy to spend anything over about £100 on a handbag (they will happily spend a small fortune on a holiday though!). My boy bag was by far the most I had ever spent on a handbag, but it was exactly what I wanted and nearly a year later I haven't regretted it for a second! If it makes me happy and I can afford it, it's not hurting anyone else then why not?
Anything is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it, otherwise no Chanel bags would be worth even a fraction of their retail price, they certainly can't cost that much to make! If you hadn't bought your jumbo someone else would have and you would probably be regretting missing out on your dream bag and maybe getting a double flap which wasn't what you really wanted.
I would say just enjoy your beautiful bag and don't over think it!

If you love it, then love it! In terms of the quality of Chanel declining (and I am not saying it is or it isn't), but angry people tend to voice their frustrations more than happy people. For all of the horror stories you hear think about all of the happy people who have bought classic flaps from the stores. Between my mom and me we own flaps made from the 80's until 2015 and have never had a serious issue. Also, there were no forums for Chanel back in the 1980's, so we don't really know if there were any "lemons" so to say.

You probably paid a little too much for a used bag IMO, but I am sure you are not alone.;)

So, do not look back and enjoy your bag.

+1

I have a jumbo in that exact specs. I do believe they are better made than the jumbos now (and the single flaps are so much roomier) so I would just enjoy the bag. :smile:

Considering what people are saying about the quality, nowadays, I think you made the right decision. Also, strangely enough, I think I'd rather have one that looks like I've had it a long time, than just got it, kwim?

it's like at holiday time, when you buy something for $100 and the next week it goes on sale for $65 and you're upset that you didn't wait for that deal. but, you can't run around adjusting prices for everything you buy, or regretting a purchase because you overpaid. just be happy you got the style/color/condition you wanted. everything at some point will either go up/down.

Hi CassieH,
I think if it were me I would look at it this way.. Yes, it was a lot of money, but it was for something you really wanted that isn't currently available directly from Chanel anyway.
Most of my friends think I'm crazy to spend anything over about £100 on a handbag (they will happily spend a small fortune on a holiday though!). My boy bag was by far the most I had ever spent on a handbag, but it was exactly what I wanted and nearly a year later I haven't regretted it for a second! If it makes me happy and I can afford it, it's not hurting anyone else then why not?
Anything is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it, otherwise no Chanel bags would be worth even a fraction of their retail price, they certainly can't cost that much to make! If you hadn't bought your jumbo someone else would have and you would probably be regretting missing out on your dream bag and maybe getting a double flap which wasn't what you really wanted.

What she said.

Hi CassieH,

+1 such great points - enjoy the beautiful find! :smile:

Hi CassieH,

If you love it, then love it! In terms of the quality of Chanel declining (and I am not saying it is or it isn't), but angry people tend to voice their frustrations more than happy people. For all of the horror stories you hear think about all of the happy people who have bought classic flaps from the stores. Between my mom and me we own flaps made from the 80's until 2015 and have never had a serious issue. Also, there were no forums for Chanel back in the 1980's, so we don't really know if there were any "lemons" so to say.

Such Valid points about angry people voicing their frustrations more than happy people, and the less available forums for "lemons" in the past potentially... great to hear about your family being consistent patrons of Chanels over generations and don't find particularly steep decline.