Conditioning Really dry Vachetta

karolinec1

O.G.
Jul 5, 2007
Can anyone help? My problem is a little different from those in the Vachetta threads... I managed to clean up the vachetta on my Speedy with the use of a white eraser AND a Magic Eraser (yay!), but now the leather is looking really really dry. I used a light leather conditioner on it (twice), but it's not looking any better. Should I continue to use this leather conditioner, or should I switch to something heavier, like a mink oil leather conditioner? Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks!

I did the same with my popincourt rolled handles, its really dry and the leather conditioner doesn't help?! I have no idea what you can do, mink oil - never heard of that but could be a risk of oil stains on the vachetta?

Borrowing a page from the balenciaga girls.. have you considered just hand/face lotion ? I've put Clinique's yellow cream on my balenciaga handles to give it a little moisture, it has really helped !

I just tried La Mer on my handles too and it does make a huge difference. I tried my face cream. I am sure I somehow damaged the vachetta on the handles. It's ok. I plan on replacing the handles in a few years anyhow. Nothing too good for my LV babies.

This is the issue that I'm having. I understand that you can use the Magic Eraser to clean it, but now the vachetta is severely dry.

Shining Monkey and Appleguard are repellents for water, but what do you use to moisturize the bag before using a protector???

I really don't feel comfortable using La Mer.

i"m sure there would be products that are leather moisterizers ...i know coach has one but i wouldn't use that on an LV just cause they probably use different kinds of leather either way it wudn't hurt to ask!

I'm posting this just in case there are others like me who are looking for this info. but find older threads. I recently purchased an authentic Speedy 25 on Craigslist for a crazy low price - almost free! :graucho:

The bag was in overall good shape, but dirty inside and out and the handles were almost black. But as soon as I saw it, I had to have it. :smile: And I'd been wanting to try some restoration techniques, but not on one of my new store-bought bags!

I took some before and after photos and will post them if I can figure out how to do it (I'm a newbie).

Anyway, I cleaned the exterior canvas with a warm, wet washcloth and a gentle, plant-based cleanser - just a few drops in warm water. That worked like a charm and completely removed all the little white dots and a ton of dirt! Instant shine.

I used the same approach on the handles and leather, and there was sooooo much dirt, that I thought to myself: "hey, why not magic eraser? everyone else is doing it!"

Note to self: never, ever, ever again use magic eraser on my precious LV vachetta! Yes, it works to clean up the leather, but completely dries it out! I was sickened and thought: "what have I just done?"

So, I searched and searched and found a few old TPF threads. I'm sure there are lots of things that work for others. What I used was the Apple Leather Conditioner because that's what I had on hand. I have some LMB on order but it's not yet arrived. After the first application, I was literally nearly crying because I was so angry with myself. No difference whatsoever! I even called my SA about the cost of replacing the handles just so I could forget I had ever done something so dumb!

But then I thought, if the problem is severe dryness, maybe it just needs lots of moisture and one application won't be enough. I did not want to start mixing products, so I just determined that I would do several applications of the Apple product over several days and see what happened. The thing that I think ended up really working the best is that I used one of those triangular makeup sponges to apply the conditioner. That was a dream! And then I gently buffed with a soft cloth (think old t-shirt). I always use white rags and cloths to clean so that I can see the dirt.

Well, I am happy to say, that this morning when I awoke and went to check on my precious new baby, I mean bag, the leather handles were starting to look moisturized and shiny and smooth again! :biggrin:

I'm going to hold off on any further application until I use the bag some - I have a theory that by simply handling it, the oils from my hands will naturally moisturize the handles. All the other leather components now look really, really good.

Hope this helps someone else who may be searching for this same info.

Thank you for posting this! I didn't use magic eraser, but a stiff brush and saddle soap - which cleaned well, but left the handles a bit drier than I had hoped. I will try leather conditioner (repeatedly), and update on this thread too!

I'm posting this just in case there are others like me who are looking for this info. but find older threads. I recently purchased an authentic Speedy 25 on Craigslist for a crazy low price - almost free! :graucho:

The bag was in overall good shape, but dirty inside and out and the handles were almost black. But as soon as I saw it, I had to have it. :smile: And I'd been wanting to try some restoration techniques, but not on one of my new store-bought bags!

I took some before and after photos and will post them if I can figure out how to do it (I'm a newbie).

Anyway, I cleaned the exterior canvas with a warm, wet washcloth and a gentle, plant-based cleanser - just a few drops in warm water. That worked like a charm and completely removed all the little white dots and a ton of dirt! Instant shine.

I used the same approach on the handles and leather, and there was sooooo much dirt, that I thought to myself: "hey, why not magic eraser? everyone else is doing it!"

Note to self: never, ever, ever again use magic eraser on my precious LV vachetta! Yes, it works to clean up the leather, but completely dries it out! I was sickened and thought: "what have I just done?"

So, I searched and searched and found a few old TPF threads. I'm sure there are lots of things that work for others. What I used was the Apple Leather Conditioner because that's what I had on hand. I have some LMB on order but it's not yet arrived. After the first application, I was literally nearly crying because I was so angry with myself. No difference whatsoever! I even called my SA about the cost of replacing the handles just so I could forget I had ever done something so dumb!

But then I thought, if the problem is severe dryness, maybe it just needs lots of moisture and one application won't be enough. I did not want to start mixing products, so I just determined that I would do several applications of the Apple product over several days and see what happened. The thing that I think ended up really working the best is that I used one of those triangular makeup sponges to apply the conditioner. That was a dream! And then I gently buffed with a soft cloth (think old t-shirt). I always use white rags and cloths to clean so that I can see the dirt.

Well, I am happy to say, that this morning when I awoke and went to check on my precious new baby, I mean bag, the leather handles were starting to look moisturized and shiny and smooth again! :biggrin:

I'm going to hold off on any further application until I use the bag some - I have a theory that by simply handling it, the oils from my hands will naturally moisturize the handles. All the other leather components now look really, really good.

Hope this helps someone else who may be searching for this same info.