computerwhizzes? Wireless help needed

fabgrabs

Jun 12, 2007
so I set up my old wireless on my pc tonight, and it works...just not on my laptop. It says the settings for the network don't match the settings on my laptop. I am completely clueless when it comes to comps, so was wondering if there was an easy fix before I am put on hold for 2 hours or have to call someone out. I thank you in advance!

So even using the same EPA for both computers through the router does not work? I know I forgot my EPA when I got a new computer and it was doing the same thing............

well I did forget the epa (thats the password right?), but it was automatically stored for the wpa2 setting, and not needed for the open connection. I do know how to get to the router site, but when I tried to change the password it spit out a technical error report. My pc does work, as does my iPod touch, on the network. At least I am getting good typing practice with the touch! :LOL:

Did you try Network and Internet connections on your Control Panel? You may need to set up you network connection on your laptop for the wifi to work. Make sure your wireless connection on your laptop says connected, and firewalled.

Not to sound like a smartass at all.....but are you sure your laptop has internal wireless capabilities? Or is it a card you installed?

I also agree with what Caliprincess said.

heehee not a smarts@@ at all. I did use the same router for my laptop last year, so I know it can be done.

I will check to make sure the firewall isn't blocking the network, it does say the lan is not connected, but it does not let me do anything to connect.

The wireless card is built into the laptop, I think, since I never had to use an external one before.

I suppose I should bite the bullet tomorrow and call support. Would I call linksys, or the ISP?

I appreciate the help from you three! I'm sorry I am so clueless! Sometimes technology makes me want to drink!

:tispy::drinkup: Here's to technology!

Or you could also take your computer to Best Buy and have the Geek Squad guys look at it!! If it is a quick fix, they usually won't even charge you for it. They have wifi at the store so they will be able to determine if it is a connectivity issue with just YOUR router or if it is a laptop problem :yes:

Depending on your ISP, it may be better to call them. I know my old ISP were completely useless with technical questions if it didn't involve their own router.
Can you see your SSID under the list of wireless networks?
Is there a button on your laptop to switch wireless on, I know mine has and I was dumbfounded for ages when it wouldn't connect until I realised I had accidentally switched it off.

Can you connect to another wireless signal?

First, check to make sure your wireless card is turned on. It's more than likely in the Control Panel. Once you're sure your internal card is turned on, you should have a wireless connectivity software. From there you should be able to see all the wireless signals your laptop sees. If you can see your home signal, connect to it either by right clicking and clicking the connect option or highlighting it and clicking the connect button. What happens then? If you have encyption turned on, you'll need a password. make sure you have the right encryption setting that the router has. More than likely it's 128, so it's going to have a rather long alpha-numeric password. Also, make sure it's HEX or ASCII. All these settings will be in your router setup. Once you're sure that's all matching and you should be good.

Audrey, Charles, I can see my network but there is a red x by it and it won't let me connect, only diagnose. That is when it says the network security settings are different than the routers. I can see neighbors networks, but they all have password protections.

I will check to see if the internal card is on.

Charles, if I don't know the password how would I go about finding what it is?

I wanted a peaceful day today, so didn't mess with it :lol:. I might call the ISP tomorrow, and take it to geek squad if the call gets me nowhere. (cheers kristie!)

i had this issue because i had to rememeber my passwork then it worked fine! then another time I just called netgear and I just followed their directions over the phone which took 30 mins

To access you router settings, usually you can type 192.168.2.1 into your browser. Try that and see what comes up. If it works, from there you can enable/disable encryption and hopefully reset your password. Like I said, some routers will allow you to select 64 or 128 encryption and have the password displayed in hex or ASCII formats. Pay attention to that so you can mimic it when entering it on your laptop's wireless connection settings.