Computer question

Aug 17, 2008
I have a dell computer and I think it just crashed. I'm not sure why, I use laptop more now. Anyway, I have a lot things saved onto it. If I bring it to dell, or call them, can they fix it without me loosing stuff? :sad:

Sternchen

O.G.
May 16, 2006
Bavaria, Germany
So do I!

Do you think it's the HDD that's broken or the motherboard? If the HDD is still okay, you're probably going to be able to get most (if not all) your information back :smile:

I'd use the Dell Live Chat feature and ask them directly...if the computer is still under warranty, they will get that all squared away too :smile:

Aug 17, 2008
So do I!

Do you think it's the HDD that's broken or the motherboard? If the HDD is still okay, you're probably going to be able to get most (if not all) your information back :smile:

I'd use the Dell Live Chat feature and ask them directly...if the computer is still under warranty, they will get that all squared away too :smile:
I have no idea, because I have no idea what computer parts are and how they work. I'm going to call dell when I come from food shopping later. See how it goes.

socalgem

Fabulous
Apr 23, 2007
California
Dell is great about helping and getting things fixed.

If you do get it fixed, please do yourself a favor and backup everything.

Aug 17, 2008
^^^I will try to do this. :sad:

I called Dell and everything kept going wrong. My dogs ran into the room and I had to hang up and shoe them out. Then, I call and you knpw when that automated voice comes up, my boyfriend called and i said call me later. I went back but it was screwy so I hung up. I get threw. I was told to buy 49.99 extended warranty for one time use. Then he keeps asking me stuff and nothing really happens. He says I need an XP cd. I can[t find. So, I hang up. I'm going to see if I can find it and boyfriend said he'll see if he has one but he's almost computer illiterate.

hartofalyon

foreign contaminant
Jan 14, 2007
NYC
what exactly is happening with your computer? can you get into windows?

what the dell guy is trying to do with the xp cd is do a repair install of xp.

Mar 5, 2008
Eek, I got the "blue screen of death" on my old Dell laptop. One of my friends was able to recover everything from the HD, though. Good luck!

Aug 17, 2008
A blue screen of death? Does it have white writing on it? What were you doing when the computer crashed?
Yes. :sad: O feel bad now. I was trying to upload pics to my conputer from my digi cam but never got that fae. My computer frooze and I turned it off. Turned it on, got that, and unplugged it a few times but no use.

Senbei

H-tastic!
O.G.
Dec 11, 2007
California or Somewhere in the Air
Yes. :sad: O feel bad now. I was trying to upload pics to my conputer from my digi cam but never got that fae. My computer frooze and I turned it off. Turned it on, got that, and unplugged it a few times but no use.
Yikes! That sounds pretty bad.

Is your camera connected to your computer by a USB port? I had this weird glitch on my desktop once. It would sometimes get a blue screen when I turned on my USB connected printer. Are you turning your computer back on with the camera on and plugged in? If you are, try turning it on without the camera plugged in.

If XP is the problem, you should have received an XP cd with your computer when you got it.

Aug 17, 2008
Yikes! That sounds pretty bad.

Is your camera connected to your computer by a USB port? I had this weird glitch on my desktop once. It would sometimes get a blue screen when I turned on my USB connected printer. Are you turning your computer back on with the camera on and plugged in? If you are, try turning it on without the camera plugged in.

If XP is the problem, you should have received an XP cd with your computer when you got it.

I thought it was that, too but I unplugged it and still blue. However, I'm hoping, when I fork over the 49.99 I can savwe stuff to my flash drive. Then buy a new desktop.