Compliment or insult?!

donnalynn11

Jul 25, 2007
I had to work in the office of my daughters religion class this evening as part of a parent volunteer program. One of the ladies who runs the program came over to me after a few minutes and said "Oh my - I look at that bag your are wearing every time I go into the Coach store. Its so beautiful but I just couldnt spend that much money on a color that is "the latest thing" for this year." I was like :wtf:. First off, its the burnt orange satchel which isnt in the stores yet, but she was probably referring the the "new" rose color that is out as its kind of orange-y too. Second, was that a compliment on the bag, or an insult that I spent too much $$ on a trendy bag? I am so not a trendy person! What I said was "well, most of my wardrobe consists of various shades of black/gray/brown, so I thought a pop of color would do me good. I really dont see it as a trendy color, more of a classic neutral with a twist." Then she said "oh, hmm, I never thought of it that way!" I wasnt mad - just amused! I LOVE my bag SO much that I'll take any reason to talk about it, compliment or not!

baglady39

L E G A C Y
O.G.
Sep 15, 2007
She was probably just jealous! I would just laugh it off. I frequently get this from one of the nieces...she never likes my items unless her friends "spprove"...and then it's the coolest thing ever. Or if you buy it for her, she changes her mind real quick, but otherwise she likes to poke fun and make her snide remarks. DH is pretty good at getting her back, but I just ignore it because I figure that hurts her the worst.

Jan 2, 2008
I agree w/bag, I wouldn't have taken it as a compliment or an insult... she was just stating something about your bag... something that you may or may not care about.. usually when someone comments about how expensive COACH is or this and that, I always say "yeah its expensive, but its WORTH it than to buy like 20 cheap bags.." Flaunt your ergo satchel woman! haha :P:upsidedown:

theFlip#2

new with tags
O.G.
Jun 21, 2007
Earth
Is she taking or teaching the Religion class? Maybe she should consider enrolling...

She obviously checks you out all the time and thought she'd get a 'dig' in, Ignore her.

AliWantsNss

Is it 9 yet?
Apr 3, 2008
NJ
I wouldn't be insulted. She looks at the Coach bag the same way I look at the Gucci bag. I like them, but can't rationlize spending that kind of money on a single bag.

alatrop

Motor City Kitties
O.G.
May 2, 2006
Definitely a backhanded compliment. She might not have had snarky intentions.

nns

Mar 30, 2008
Michigan
Wow, I would have been hurt by that frankly, it would have caught me offguard. If I was in a foul mood I'd definitely have said something back like "ahhh...so just why WERE you in there again?" :smile:

donnalynn11

Jul 25, 2007
It was actually pretty funny. I really dont know the woman very well, and I know I would never discuss $$ with someone I dont really know, KWIM? Oh well - at least she noticed my bag! Like I always say, in my area, unless you have a khaki signature bag, I dont think anyone even knows what type of bag it is! And the other mother who was stapling stuff with me had an obviously fake patchwork tote of some sort, making the whole conversation even funnier.

Taralindsey

peněženka blázen
O.G.
Apr 25, 2007
San Antonio
Hmmm, I think it was a jealous compliment!!! :thinking:

I agree. She obviously knows Coach since your bag is not a signature bag. I think she lusts after one and for some reason won't or can't buy one so she feels the need to make comments about yours. My family does this a lot. :lol:

TygerKitty

~*~ addicted ~*~
O.G.
Feb 26, 2008
Colorado
I don't think it was an insult... just a comment and I'm sure she didn't mean it to be taken as an insult! MANY people comment on how they can't spend that much money on a bag (I was one of those people too!!!!) but after I found a Coach I HAD to have then I went crazy as all of us Coachies do! She probably wishes she either had the money to spend or hopes she wouldn't feel guilty spending that on a bag! I would not let the comment get to you and you probably helped her see the practicality of the color she thought was simply 'trendy'! Her savings account better WATCH OUT cause she will probably think on it until she buys one now!

Geminiz06

Feb 13, 2008
New York
I think that maybe she said it the wrong way. Maybe she just meant that she loved it but never would have the balls herself to get a color like that. She probably only sticks to "safe " colors such as brown and black....and maybe gets a little crazy ;) and adds some grey lol. For me an orange bag is not extreme & a metallic silver can be used as a neutral. This is definetly not the case for many people.
A lot of people might like those colors from a far but feel that they wouldnt get enough wear out of it. So they couldnt (for themselves) rationalize getting one, especially at a high price.

I think a lot of people feel like that. Even some of us on this forum: Sometimes second guess a new color, we may love it but not be comfortable purchasing, and ask others opinions.

I think if she makes another remark then its hating---

If this is the only remark she says- and all other comments end up being compliments.
Then she may have truly been admiring the bag and your "courage" to get it. I mean she did say she would walk in and look at it everytime... Maybe it just came out wrong.

Charlie

O.G.
Apr 28, 2007
Why she go the Coach store if she don't like spend the money in that?
Exactly what I was thinking. :confused1:

Definitely a backhanded compliment. She might not have had snarky intentions.
Yeah, there is a lot of people like that, is not what they say but how they say it you know. Maybe, she just doesnt have "touch" if you know what I mean, was she old? :s