Comparison with College bag Large and Medium

Swedengirl

Jan 20, 2016
This is a post where I will compare the beautiful YSL College bag (also known as the Boyfriend bag) in the sizes Large and Medium. I have done a reveal/review of my Large College bag earlier with pics which you can find here: http://forum.purseblog.com/threads/reveal-of-my-first-saint-laurent-bag-college-large.952215/

I've also done a comparison with the Large College and the new medium Chanel Boy bag: http://forum.purseblog.com/threads/...lege-bag-and-chanel-boy-in-new-medium.954352/

The Large college bag is black with black hardware and was bought in September, the Medium college bag is in the color Dark Red with the aged silver hardware delivered today (24th Nov), both bags purchased directly from the YSL website.

Ordering: I took complimentary shipping when ordering so it took me exactly one week from ordering until delivery with UPS.

Strap: they both come with a detachable shoulder strap and a fixed handle strap. The Large bag you are not able to wear crossbody but it sits very comfortably on your shoulder. The Medium one you can wear crossbody, please note however that the earlier versions had a shorter shoulder strap. I can carry both bags in the crook of my arm with the short handle strap and my arms are NOT skinny.

Backpocket: both have a practical back pocket that can easily fit an iPhone 6.

Inside: of course there is a difference in how much you can carry in these bags but the Medium is surprisingly roomy. I have done a "what's in my bag" pictures with the same items that you can view below. I dont like to play tetris with my bags so there is still room left in both bags but with this you are able to remove something and put it back without having to empty the entire bag first.

Closure: Important! if you buy the bag in a shop please have a look at the magnetic closure on the flap, my Large bag is just a normal flat magnetic but the Medium one has the "new" closure where the magnetic has a small cap on it. This cap makes it easier to close the bag as the magnets slides into place more easily. Without the cap it can be a bit annoying until you get the hang of it. If i could I would def change my black to the new lock. The magnetic closure is very hard so when its closed, it stays closed. I even have to use a bit of force to open it.

Pros: this bag is surprisingly light, the chain is not at all as heavy as one would think. Its very roomy and the different pocket compartments makes ones life easier. I especially love the back pocket where I keep my phone for easy access. It reminds you of an Chanel bag but without the price-tag and the screaming of luxury. I like the subtle YSL logo on the bag.

Cons: the closure if you get the bag without the cap on the magnetic lock. This is seriously my only pain with this bag, but Im getting there to learn how to close it without having to look every time.

Unfortunately I have returned the Medium YSL college today as a) the dark red was more of an oxblood color e.g more purple/brown than any red, and I really wanted a red bag. b) the clasp for unhooking the shoulder strap was faulty, it was impossible to unhook it. So make sure you check you bag and hardware before deciding!

Pictures below.

Thank you for the reviews. I love all your threads! I'm obsessed with this bag, will be travelling to another town next week just so i can see these bags. I love the dark red !!! It looks different online, and after seeing your pics, it's exactly the colour i wanted!! ❤️❤️❤️

Reactions: Swedengirl
Thank you so much for this review. I'm seriously thinking about getting the Medium College bag. I'm curious how tall are you in the modeling photos? I just want to get an idea for size since I will not be able to try on the bag. Also, would you say the Bordeaux color is easy to pair with outfits. I love the color but I don't own any handbag in red.

Thank you again!

Th

Thank you so much for this review. I'm seriously thinking about getting the Medium College bag. I'm curious how tall are you in the modeling photos? I just want to get an idea for size since I will not be able to try on the bag. Also, would you say the Bordeaux color is easy to pair with outfits. I love the color but I don't own any handbag in red.

Thank you again!

Th

I am 163cm not sure What that is in inches but Google knows :smile: yes the bordeaux Color I would def say is easy to pair. I have the Mulberry "oxblood" which is same colour almost in two bags and they go with every outfit so far :smile:

I am 163cm not sure What that is in inches but Google knows :smile: yes the bordeaux Color I would def say is easy to pair. I have the Mulberry "oxblood" which is same colour almost in two bags and they go with every outfit so far :smile:
One more question - do you think there is a way to adjust the length of the chain strap? I am about 2 inches shorter than you and I'm worried that it may be a little bit long. Thanks!

Oh I'm not sure the strap is a chain so you would have to go to somebody who would be able to remove a link or two for you and attach it back together. I felt the bag was kind of long for my taste on one shoulder only so I would carry it xbody only. So if you are 2 inches shorter then it prob will be to long. Perhaps email YSL and ask if they can help with making it shorter? One never knows :smile:

Thank you for your detailed review! I was literally turned onto this bag by another TPFer comparing it to the LV Alma BB, and am liking what I see so far. I like the size of the large and wish it could be worn crossbody, because that is how I wear my bags most of the time.