Company trying to stick people with goods with hidden covid statement, what would you do?

klb4556

O.G.
May 18, 2009
I ordered a product from a company and would rather not say who yet until I get advice on what to do.

I ordered the item with all things looking normal, that is there was NO *final sale* statement anywhere on ANY of the product pages and there was no covid statement on the product page OR on the homepage.

So I received the item, it doesn't fit and I want a refund.

I went to their "return/ faq" page to see how to start it and I see a Covid statement at the top saying they aren't accepting any returns unless there are defects for an undetermined amount of time. I'm waiting on them to contact me back about if they will make an exception or not.

I'm really frustrated and I feel like that was really shady of them to not put that items are final sale except for on the returns page when people go there after the fact to see how to return.

Would you feel the way I do that it wasn't a disclaimer in bold or that it was hidden? I plan to stress that I think it's really unfair considering all shops/ major corps that don't have fitting rooms open are taking things back left and right. Had I known I would have never ordered at all but most people I don't think plan to have to return some things therefore aren't looking at that page until it doesn't work.

Since you are claiming there was no indication that a return would not be accepted, I would wait until
the company responds to you. I think 3 days is a sufficient amount of time to wait.
If you funded your purchase by credit card, you may have to reach out & contest the charge if you don't
receive satisfaction.
If you can take a screen shot of the order you placed & if need be send that back to the company with
a no final sale & no COVID statement anywhere on your order, you may have a leg to stand on sort of speaking,
if not you may have to consider another route..

Reactions: Gabs007
Depending on where you are, it might actually be illegal
for them to withhold or refuse a refund?

Since you are claiming there was no indication that a return would not be accepted, I would wait until
the company responds to you. I think 3 days is a sufficient amount of time to wait.
If you funded your purchase by credit card, you may have to reach out & contest the charge if you don't
receive satisfaction.
If you can take a screen shot of the order you placed & if need be send that back to the company with
a no final sale & no COVID statement anywhere on your order, you may have a leg to stand on sort of speaking,

I'll wait for their response before doing anything then. I've taken screenshots just in case they change their site after I mention that it's wrong

Reactions: apursenewbie
for them to withhold or refuse a refund?

I'll wait for their response before doing anything then. I've taken screenshots just in case they change their site after I mention that it's wrong

I peeked at your profile, no idea about the laws in your state, but in Europe, due to not being able to try on purchases in shops, you can return items, apart from underwear

Reactions: klb4556
receive satisfaction.

I'm replying again to ask what you'd do. I got a response. This was it " I'm sorry it didn't fit well for you but we are still not accepting returns at this time. What we can do for now is offer you a discount of 40% on a future order"

I'm pretty livid. I responded back that it was deceptive that they didn't have final sale ANYWHERE on their product pages or the home page. Nowhere to be found.

Should I do a chargeback? If I took screenshots of their site, do you think I'd be able to get my money back?

not accepting returns at this time
Did they indicate whether they would accept a return in the future? There was a certain large retailer that wouldn't accept returns on certain items (health/beauty, cleaning products, etc.) specifically in certain states due to covid over the summer. But they said as soon as the restriction was lifted I could return this one item, so I waited it out. I wasn't angry because there was a light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.

As soon as they lifted the restriction I was able to return the still-sealed cleaning product (a replacement mop head that was the wrong size for my mop, which fell into "cleaning" apparently), and everything was fine. So I guess if I were in your situation, I'd go back and ask if I can return the item as soon as they start accepting returns again, before attempting a chargeback.

Maybe I’m a differing voice in this, but surely if it’s written on their refund/faq page, then it’s down to you as the purchaser to read all the information before you make the purchase?
I’m not saying I agree with it, but I don’t trust companies so I always read their policies if purchasing online.
A different example is, in the country I now reside in I have to be extremely careful what I purchase. There are no refunds, anywhere. You can exchange certain goods, but that’s it.

I'm replying again to ask what you'd do. I got a response. This was it " I'm sorry it didn't fit well for you but we are still not accepting returns at this time. What we can do for now is offer you a discount of 40% on a future order"

I'm pretty livid. I responded back that it was deceptive that they didn't have final sale ANYWHERE on their product pages or the home page. Nowhere to be found.

Should I do a chargeback? If I took screenshots of their site, do you think I'd be able to get my money back?

If you are indicating that no where on their product pages was the return policy ( ALL SALES FINAL) & the best they could do is offer
you a 40% discount on a future purchase that for me would not be an option.
I'd reach out to my credit card company, initiate a chargeback & have all the backup for a dispute.
I would have the image of your order ,etc..
Sorry this happened & hope it will be resolved to your liking.

If you are indicating that no where on their product pages was the return policy ( ALL SALES FINAL) & the best they could do is offer
I'd reach out to my credit card company, initiate a chargeback & have all the backup for a dispute.
including the image of your order ,etc..

I would have the image of your order ,etc..

yes that's what I'm saying, but they DO have a returns page, but that is the ONLY place that has a statement about no returns. It was not stated anywhere else.

Thank you, I'm in the process. Thanks for assuring me that I'm not wrong for being upset at this

yes that's what I'm saying, but they DO have a returns page, but that is the ONLY place that has a statement about no returns. It was not stated anywhere else.

Thank you, I'm in the process. Thanks for assuring me that I'm not wrong for being upset at this

No I do not think that you are wrong. If the company has changed their "return policy due to COVID' that
should clearly be stated when the purchase had been completed & according to you it wasn't.
Let us know the outcome....

I would absolutely call your CC company. Usually purchase protection includes forcing a return.
Final sale should be on product pages and 1000% should be at checkout. If one is familiar with a store it's natural to assume return policy remains the same, and if it changes, they should highlight it.