Common Sense

Godiva

Mar 25, 2006
I admit I am always looking for a good bargain on handbags, but so far I have never found one. This leaves me to conclude that anyone who buys off eBay or a discount seller must suspect the bag is fake and just doesn't care.

I think some people just want the designer label and a good fake is better than an authentic bag that costs a fortune and will be out of style at the end of the season. If you fall into this category, there's nothing wrong with that- if there weren't people out there willing to pay for a fake, there wouldn't be sellers willing to sell to them.

Personally, I stay away from the "must have" bags of the season, and the luxury brands (when I can resist). For every authentic bag I spend my hard-earned money on, there's a dozen phonies out there, making me look just as cheap and skanky as they look.

I am not an expert on fake bags, but I have a simple solution for spotting a fake in public. If a girl looks like she can't afford an education and she's wearing a $1000 bag, you just have to chuckle. You know what I'm talking about when you see them.

Godiva said:
For every authentic bag I spend my hard-earned money on, there's a dozen phonies out there, making me look just as cheap and skanky as they look.

I disagree...it's not about what others think of you, it's about feeling good about the bag you own.

Knowing that you paid full price for a designer bag is a huge peace of mind for yourself, so who really cares if others are narrow-minded enough to automatically judge you and put you in the 'cheap and skanky' category...?:blink:

If you love the bag, that's what counts.

And if others choose to buy fake bags, that's up to them!

Many buy them unwittingly, as did i once.

Some choose to buy fakes to have that little bit of luxury without the hefty price tag.

Personally, i will always prefer the real thing, but if i think i can get a real bargain. i will happily try that option too. (yes there really are still bargains to be had on auction sites - and that doesn't mean i don't care about getting lumbered with a fake, cos i do!!!!)

I will always come here first to get it checked out.

Godiva said:
I am not an expert on fake bags, but I have a simple solution for spotting a fake in public. If a girl looks like she can't afford an education and she's wearing a $1000 bag, you just have to chuckle. You know what I'm talking about when you see them.

That is the most shallow and pathetic statement I've heard in a while.

"I admit I am always looking for a good bargain on handbags, but so far I have never found one. This leaves me to conclude that anyone who buys off eBay or a discount seller must suspect the bag is fake and just doesn't care."

To conclude that because you haven't done it, it isn't possible is simply using extremely faulty logic. There are many lovely ladies who have bought/sold things on ebay quite successfully. There are a zillion and one fakes, but if you take propor precautions you can get a good deal. I recently purchased an older Louis Vuitton Speedy 30, at an excellent price and it's authentic.

"I think some people just want the designer label and a good fake is better than an authentic bag that costs a fortune and will be out of style at the end of the season. If you fall into this category, there's nothing wrong with that- if there weren't people out there willing to pay for a fake, there wouldn't be sellers willing to sell to them."

Fake handbags are a problem, since they're illegal and support awful things. Still, a lot of people are ignorant to this and a lot of people aren't even aware of purchasing a fake! Handbags aren't a huge deal to everyone, so not everyone understands the icky world of fakes. There are a lot of people who do purchase fake handbags with full knowledge of all it entails, and while I simply can not agree with that, I don't think they're bad people. I have no problem with imitations, I personally don't care for the, but they are a viable option.

"Personally, I stay away from the "must have" bags of the season, and the luxury brands (when I can resist). For every authentic bag I spend my hard-earned money on, there's a dozen phonies out there, making me look just as cheap and skanky as they look."

While that is understandable, it doesn't make sense. Yes, it's always nice when someone compliments your designer or IT handbags, but I know most of the lovely ladies here buy it more for their own personal satisfaction. Handbags are little works of art. They're just an insanely fun thing to know about/enjoy. If you want people to recognize how much you've spent on the hanbag, and that it's real, I suggest taping a photocopy of the reciept to it, and making sure to point it out so everyone knows how pricey it was. The fakes don't ruin having a nice bag... knowing you have a quality designer product that's authentic is quite satisfactory.

"I am not an expert on fake bags, but I have a simple solution for spotting a fake in public. If a girl looks like she can't afford an education and she's wearing a $1000 bag, you just have to chuckle. You know what I'm talking about when you see them."

I'm absolutely horrified by this statement. First of all, that's a very flawed way to spot a fake designer product. Affluence does not equal wearing haute couture at all times. Sometimes people go out in their sweats from old navy, but they could be carrying their Chloe Paddington! We all judge others on their appearance, but that is taking it a little too far. I can spot more obvious fakes, because of the actual flaws on the BAG, not the person. Anyways, I will never understand why people think you must be affluent/educated to fully appreciate designer products. I only own three designer bags, a Botkier, a coach, and my Speedy 30 ( I've also only been here for a couple months. :P). I adore them all! I couldn't afford the retail for a brand new Speedy, but I've been wanting one for awhile. I could've waited untill my birthday, but I'm an impatient little person. So, I looked around on ebay, sought advice from the girls hear, and now I have suuuch a beautiful bag that I completely adore. I wanted an LV because an iconic, quality product that will last me for awhile. My handbag is a little older, but still in really good condition- which speaks for the craftsmanship. Do I not fully appreciate LV because I didn't pay retail, and couldn't afford too? Erm, no!

Anyways. You are entitled to your own opinion on these matters, and I appreciate you sharing them with us, but I couldn't not type up any kind of response. :smile: I would very much like to hear further explanations for your logic on this topic.

Well addressed Dani! Good job! I always go out to the grocery store in jeans/tshirt and an LV bag. It doesn't mean mine is fake. It simply means that it makes no sense to get dolled up just to go to the grocery store. It also doesn't mean I'm not educated considering I was salutatorian way back when in HS. Appearances will always be judged. No one can stop that but it shouldn't be on handbags alone.

I admit I am always looking for a good bargain on handbags, but so far I have never found one. This leaves me to conclude that anyone who buys off eBay or a discount seller must suspect the bag is fake and just doesn't care.

I've been spending loads of time in the net surfing for a nice bargain, and after a couple of months I found a great Fendi bag from the 80's... then a Gucci (also 70's)... then another Fendi baguette and last week I bought here a wonderful LV for a great price :biggrin: .
It's a question of loads of patience and a bit of luck... but it pays off!!!

I am not an expert on fake bags, but I have a simple solution for spotting a fake in public. If a girl looks like she can't afford an education and she's wearing a $1000 bag, you just have to chuckle. You know what I'm talking about when you see them

:weird: Sorry, don't get this line of reasoning. I can be wearing jeans and a tshirt and carrying my authentic LV or, as I did it (sorry I have to admit this :shame: ) a couple of times, carrying a fake speedy (mind you, is a very good fake!!:lol: ) and dressing head-to-toe in my lawyer-power-suit LOL and nobody realising it's a fake one!! (well, the "common" people that don't have a trained eye as the ladies over here!!! ;) )
This is the same line of thinking some upscale shops have in the NL: you go with a training suit on a Saturday morning to LV, Gucci or whatever and you won't get served!!!! :evil: Too narrow minded, IMHO.

But anybody is entitled to think & express his/her opinion... Just adding here a bit of mine :amuse:

sorry but i disagree. i walk around with jeans and sneakers all the time with my handbags. most people don't notice me which is great. i'm not wearing my bags to get noticed. it's just something i enjoy as pieces of art. but it's ok to have an opinion.

fayden said:
sorry but i disagree. i walk around with jeans and sneakers all the time with my handbags. most people don't notice me which is great. i'm not wearing my bags to get noticed. it's just something i enjoy as pieces of art. but it's ok to have an opinion.

I so agree here!!! :biggrin: