comments/questions/review re: darley (clutch/crossbody)

eliuuuu

Apr 4, 2017
Hi everyone! i'm fairly new to the mulberry brand (discovered last week actually) and I'm a little enamored by some of the styles. I know the popular style is the bayswater but I'm really loving the Darley (medium/large sizes specifically). I stopped by the NYC store and Lakeria was super helpful. However, I have not seen a whole long online about how the Darley has held up to use.

A couple of my concerns:
1- The inside is lined in napa leather - is that super scratch prone?
2- The chain is pretty thin, has anyone has trouble with the durability?
3- I've seen somewhere that the lock on these are smaller than they used to be - have these locks held up to wear? it seems like the lock is the primary holding point for the weight of the rest of the bag.
and finally:
3- if I were going for a max utility bag, should I go for the medium or the large? the strap on the large seems more versatile but i'm wondering if maybe that size is too big for weddings or things like that. (and if the lock is a concern, perhaps a smaller bag is recommended to avoid overweighting the bag)

I'd love any comments back or photos of you and your darley in play!

Same as the other comments. I got to see the small Darly and regular size during my last visit to the So Cal location. In person, the small looked SUPER small and the regular just right. However, I was focused on some discontinued Alexas they had. So my focus was very different and quite distracted. In looking back, I wish I would have spent some time checking out the Darlys.

I can tell you this much: I have never seen any Mulberries IRL. I was initially interested in the regular and large Darly. I saw the small and regular ones in person but didn't spend much time truly looking at them. I dismissed the small without even holding it because it was SO small. The regular Darly was beautiful though. They did not have a large in store.

My mind may have changed now, though, after hearing people refer to the small as a WOC. That makes sense to me. I wasn't interested in it until that point AND after seeing a Chanel WOC in person and realizing I love the style.

Not sure this helps anyone. It didn't help me. Just made me more confused as to which size I want. So end of story- I want one in every size [emoji23]

I have the small Darley in the clay colour and I absolutely love it. I've had it since June last year so hope these comments will help.

1) The lining is quite soft but so far I don't have any marks on mine. If you try to be a little careful with rings and long fingernails you should be fine. I tend to keep my keys or any sharp items in a tiny pouch (I do this with all bags, not just this one) and this really helps.

2) I personally think the chain is quite sturdy. I've had no issues with tangling, the gold pleating fading etc. I believe the chain is still the same as in the original model, so this hasn't even crossed my mind.

3) The postman's lock is smaller than in the previous style the Darley replaced, and I personally think it looks more balanced and grownup. The lock on mine doesn't have any scratches on it and it's just as smooth as on day 1.

4) The small Darley looks quite small as you pointed out but it's surprisingly spacious. I once managed to fit a mini umbrella in it! What really helps is having the card slots and pockets so you don't need a wallet. I normally keep some cash or random bits in the front zip pocket (also fits a passport), and a travel card in the back zip pocket for easy access. My iPhone 6 and all small essentials fit perfectly. But the size question really depends on what you're looking for. If you want a bag for running errands, to take to a restaurant, or keeping your travel documents organised and on hand when travelling, then the small size is great. But if you might need a bit more stuff and don't want to overstuff your bag, then the medium size might be the most versatile option. The chain on the medium one is the same length as with the small size, but you can't really wear the medium one cross-body. I haven't seen the large one in real life, but a sales associate said it's more of a work bag.

I posted some pictures here when I'd just bought it. It was originally called the new Postman's Lock Clutch but soon renamed as Darley:
https://forum.purseblog.com/index.php?threads/Reveal!-Postman's-Lock-Clutch.944164/

Good luck with your decision! I can wholeheartedly recommend the bag, it's become a real staple in my collection and I know I'll be able to wear it for many many years to come.

Reactions: USCGirlie
I have the small Darley in the clay colour and I absolutely love it. I've had it since June last year so hope these comments will help.

1) The lining is quite soft but so far I don't have any marks on mine. If you try to be a little careful with rings and long fingernails you should be fine. I tend to keep my keys or any sharp items in a tiny pouch (I do this with all bags, not just this one) and this really helps.

2) I personally think the chain is quite sturdy. I've had no issues with tangling, the gold pleating fading etc. I believe the chain is still the same as in the original model, so this hasn't even crossed my mind.

3) The postman's lock is smaller than in the previous style the Darley replaced, and I personally think it looks more balanced and grownup. The lock on mine doesn't have any scratches on it and it's just as smooth as on day 1.

4) The small Darley looks quite small as you pointed out but it's surprisingly spacious. I once managed to fit a mini umbrella in it! What really helps is having the card slots and pockets so you don't need a wallet. I normally keep some cash or random bits in the front zip pocket (also fits a passport), and a travel card in the back zip pocket for easy access. My iPhone 6 and all small essentials fit perfectly. But the size question really depends on what you're looking for. If you want a bag for running errands, to take to a restaurant, or keeping your travel documents organised and on hand when travelling, then the small size is great. But if you might need a bit more stuff and don't want to overstuff your bag, then the medium size might be the most versatile option. The chain on the medium one is the same length as with the small size, but you can't really wear the medium one cross-body. I haven't seen the large one in real life, but a sales associate said it's more of a work bag.

I posted some pictures here when I'd just bought it. It was originally called the new Postman's Lock Clutch but soon renamed as Darley:
https://forum.purseblog.com/index.php?threads/Reveal!-Postman's-Lock-Clutch.944164/

Good luck with your decision! I can wholeheartedly recommend the bag, it's become a real staple in my collection and I know I'll be able to wear it for many many years to come.
Thank you so much for this info! It was very helpful and solidified that I do want to try out the small!