Comfortable and stylish sandals for walking around on my NYC trip?

Mar 5, 2006
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations on some comfortable but stylish sandals for my upcoming trip to NYC in July. We will be doing a lot of walking and I don't think any of the sandals I currently own are going to be comfortable enough. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!

I moved to NYC in 2010! Honestly, I don't recommend wearing sandals, even if they're comfortable. Reason being is that NYC is actually pretty grimy and dirty (in my opinion at least) - especially down in the subway tunnels! I would recommend bringing with you a comfy pair of stylish sneakers instead! Sorry I can't recommend any stylish sandals if you're insistent on sandals!

Whenever I wear sandals in NYC, the bottoms of my feet are completely black with dirt by the end of the day. It's disgusting. I also recommend a stylish and comfy pair of sneakers or ballet flats. A pair of the classic Adidas would blend right in for sneakers, and Sam Edelman Felicia ballet flats are the most comfortable flats I've ever owned, hands down. I walked all over major European cities in them and even after being on my feet for 12 hours a day, I didn't have any blisters or discomfort.

Reactions: fashion_junky
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations on some comfortable but stylish sandals for my upcoming trip to NYC in July. We will be doing a lot of walking and I don't think any of the sandals I currently own are going to be comfortable enough. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!

I agree with the closed toe shoe/ sneakers.

I live in NYC and we walk a LOT. When I am not wearing sneakers, I wear Birkenstocks. Not really my style, but once broken in, they provide good foot support for pounding the pavement. (But forget it if they aren't broken in!) Ballerina flats are definitely more my style, but the city sidewalks will eat through your soles and you will feel like you are barefoot after a full day of walking.

Adidas Stan Smiths are super comfy! They're fairly wide so your feet will still be comfortable despite some swelling from a day's worth of walking.

I toured NYC wearing havainas and I remember having to wipe off my feet in the bathroom of Junior's because they were filthy!! yuck! :sick:

Adidas Stan Smiths are super comfy! They're fairly wide so your feet will still be comfortable despite some swelling from a day's worth of walking.

I toured NYC wearing havainas and I remember having to wipe off my feet in the bathroom of Junior's because they were filthy!! yuck! :sick:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!!
Agree with all that your feet will probably get filthy walking around Manhattan in sandals but I still do it in warm weather as I cramp in most closed shoes and I hate sneaks unless I'm on a trail. If you're going to wear sandals pick one with a slight platform, a padded insole and a rubber sole. Make sure the sandal flexes and for sure break them in at home first. If you can wear Birks they're great but be aware that all cannot. I cannot. Way too much arch for me. I have a pair of Birk-ish Chloe sandals with a very padded insole and a cork platform that are great for walking but again, everyone is different so just find a sandal or sneak that's comfy for you. I wear tons of Ballets (mostly Tory Burch and Arche) but find that they don't give me enough support for serious walking although Arche sandals are great for walking IMO. I also wear a ton of Trippen for walking but know that their "look" is not for all. It's an amazing German comfort line but the look is very "Mad Max"/Distopian LOL but they're incredibly comfy and I never cramp in them.

Best advice I can give you-whatever you wear, have an extra pair of ballets in your bag in case you're dying and need to switch.

I blame years of wearing ballet flats and open-toe footwear (without arch support) while pounding the pavements of NYC for my bad feet - I'm not super old, but I have bunions, plantar fasciitis and collapsed arches and wish I had the chance for a do over!

I agree with the other posters here - if you have to wear open-toe footwear, Birkenstocks would be the way to go. I purchased a pair of FitFlop Banda sandals a couple of years ago and find them very comfortable - I've walked long distances in these sandals and they've been very kind on my soles. They also are slightly dressier than Birkenstocks, and the ankle straps offer more support and comfort.

I would prefer to wear leather sneakers instead of ballet flats and sandals, keeping in mind the dirt and uneven-ness of the roads in NYC.

Leather is breathable, so it's great for both summer and autumn!