Come in for a chat...part two

VanBod1525

O.G.
May 19, 2009
The original chat thread is so old it won't allow responses. I wonder now that we have been bumped to a link how long TPF will keep those forums open?

Such a shame as BE, HH, Kooba etc used to have such lively forums.

The original chat thread is so old it won't allow responses. I wonder now that we have been bumped to a link how long TPF will keep those forums open?

Such a shame as BE, HH, Kooba etc used to have such lively forums.

I know, it's sad.

I don't even think to check this SF anymore since it's been relegated to a small part of the overall site. Plus, no new designs for almost two years now. I love what I have but I don't really think much about anything new. That's kind of where it ends for me now.

If they do decide to come back with something new, I'd love to see it but I don't really anticipate anything. Always open to new designs if that ever comes to pass, but I'm good for now.

I have HH stuff which I love. I know they had troubles bu they seem to have come out of that and their forum hasn't really picked up.I also have a couple of Linea Pelle bags that are lovely quality.

What is it about the more Indie designers that they aren't seeing as much traffic on the forum? Are buyers swinging back to more recognisable brands?

Perhaps. I've bought a couple of bags since my last BE purchase - one new (a recognisable brand) and one used (again a recognisable brand). Honestly? My bubble was popped on this sub-forum - I didn't know who was who, who was being genuine, and what the heck was going on quite frankly... (which may say more about me than anything else...!)

I'm very fond of the BE bags I have. When I turn to them, I turn to them for a long time and find it hard to break way from them. I have a modest amount of other bags, and along with a chosen few, BE bags are up there. I know there was a bit of a brouhaha here. There were problems. But heck when you got a good bag, it was really good. Unfortunately, there were bags that seemed to have quality problems. And then things seemed to go pear-shaped. Which was a shame. And things got personal.

I really miss the chat and camaradie that went on here. I really do. Such fun and good humour and such appreciation of a bag well-made. I live in hope....

CB, so do I! I just hope the indie designers as a whole, not just BE, can make a come back. I'd hate to only have the recognisable brands to choose from because when I look at their bags, and compare them to the bags I have from smaller designers, their leather isn't all that amazing and their prices frankly are insane.

Yes, I mean is BE still trading even? I fear Milo & Saint may have gone the same way. A very small British bag designer with some very nice styles and leathers and great prices. I guess the recession played a part and people stuck with buying bags they would get a decent return when the time came to sell them on.

Tote, I think they are still trading as their site is still live (despite no new stock for nearly 2 years). Another tpfer emailed them about a dust bag and it took them about 3 weeks but they did reply and say she could buy one, so somewhere there is still a light on.

Marco, the guy who used to make the bags has cut ties with BE apparently and will be launching his own company at the end of August.

I used to like Loren Taylor bags but it looks like they are not trading anymore either. Too bad about Milo and Saint. It is tough out there and I think you are right, a lot of people wanted to be able to sell a bag to partially fund another and some indie companies have poor resale value.

Hopefully, when the economy finally picks up and has been stable for a while, we'll see the resurgence of some original companies.

That's interesting news about Marco, I wonder what styles and leathers he will use. I guess we will soon find out!

I saw that, too. I would love to see what Marco comes up with. I hope he is successful in his launch. I love the bags I have left and am sad to see that BE hasn't been active for so long. If anything changes, I'm sure they will send us an email. I continue to carry mine and appreciate the craftsmanship.

I think it is a brave move for Marco and I am also curious/excited to see what leathers he uses, what the designs look like.

I love my BEs and use them every day and I don't need any more bags but I would like to support him in his venture.