Colour run on twilly after wash!!

meowcsj

Jan 6, 2008
I am very depressed today.

Having use my twillys to wrap around the handles of my Birkin for one month, I decided that they need a bath. Yesterday night, I diligently soak them with softener and detergent for colour. This morning, when I wash them, I realise that the colour run!

Then white portion was dulled and there are some red transfers on the yellow and orange portion.

Did i do anything wrong? Or the twilly can only be dry clean? This is my first twilly. I also have a scarve which I havent use.

Is dry clean the only solution?

Lesson learnt. Hope this will let other be aware not to make the same mistake as me.

colorrun2.jpg

colorrun1.jpg

Last edited:
:hugs: meowcsj~~ I recently washed one of my twilly and the same thing happened to me.... I didn't soak it, I let the water run constantly because I've read Cobalt Blu's fabulous thread before. But I think it might have been the detergent that I used which caused a problem. I used something that says its for silk..... but the white part of my twilly still turned pink.... :pout: But I figure if I wrap it around the handles, then it's really not that visible ......

So sorry to hear this, meowcsj. It is adviseable to dry clean any silk items actually and it is mentioned on the care tag as well. There is always a risk for DIY. You cannot soak silk overnight because the colors may run.

I read some members only do a quick swish of their silk scarves in cold water added with a pinch of salt. No detergent and softener.

Having use my twillys to wrap around the handles of my Birkin for one month, I decided that they need a bath. Yesterday night, I diligently soak them with softener and detergent for colour. This morning, when I wash them, I realise that the colour run!

Then white portion was dulled and there are some red transfers on the yellow and orange portion.

Did i do anything wrong? Or the twilly can only be dry clean? This is my first twilly. I also have a scarve which I havent use.

Lesson learnt. Hope this will let other be aware not to make the same mistake as me.

colorrun2.jpg

colorrun1.jpg

Ohh.. Im sorry Meow.. I have washed my twillies a few times with baby's shampoo, Nothing happened. I have the same twilly as yours, Red & Orange. No prob at all too.

Ohh.. Im sorry Meow.. I have washed my twillies a few times with baby's shampoo, Nothing happened. I have the same twilly as yours, Red & Orange. No prob at all too.
Really?! I was thinking of washing mine with some johnsons baby soap but wasn't sure, might give it a try. My mum just swishes hers in some cold water and hand soap - she's never had one run to date - wish I was brave enough to take the plunge!

Sorry to hear about your twilly. Look on the bright side - it's a good excuse for next time when you go back to Paris to buy more twillys.

Ooo,I have baby shampoo around for my DD,thats a really good tip! Its super gentle,so I can imagine its gentle enough to use on silks.

This is a favourite topic of mine I like to wash things so I feel they are properly clean. The thread above on washing is great.

For scarves I found the 70cm Vintage silk scarves wash perfectly, no runs to date whatsoever including red in my experience. I washed one last night I got from Ebay no problem I even put Vanish soap on some stains (but not all came out) and I tried another organic remover (no joy there either). It does not help not knowing what the stains are.

Other tpf-ers advised me that if you get things dry cleaned you must make sure that the cleaners use PERC FREE chemicals - also mention to them not to use pins or staples or to iron the rolled hems on scarves!
I have always washed rather than dry cleaned so far - the 90cm silks do run so cold water is key so I would say the same for the Twilly - be as quick as you can and use cold water.

thanks for sharing... will never wash my twilly myself after learning from your incident...:faint:
Dun be depressed, get another pair from the next collection to cheer up

:flowers:

Last edited:

colorrun2.jpg

colorrun1.jpg
One thing you might try to get the runs out - stretch the silk very tightly over a heat proof jug or bowl and pour boiling water though the stains. Rinse in cold water and wrap in a towel to remove excess water. You may have to do this quite a few times (six or so) but my scarf friends tell me it works. I wash my scarves in cool water and plain baby shampoo, swish, never soak, rinse in cold water and wrap in a towel to remove excess water, then dry flat. No problems so far and the oldest one I tried it on was from 1963 and plenty newer.