Colour retouching for matelasse wallet?

ckris06

Nov 23, 2010
Recently, while my Miu Miu wallet was in my purse, the sticker from my pack of kleenex somehow got stuck to the back of the wallet, and when I removed the sticker, the colour got lifted off the leather! Now, there's an ugly blemish on the leather about the size of a standard postage stamp. :crybaby:

Of course, I'm absolutely choked about it, and I hate looking at it! I've only had the wallet since August, and since I bought it in HK, I can't go back to the store to ask them about it. I can't believe the colour came off the leather so easily, because those kleenex stickers aren't even that strong!!

So I need your input: I found a place that does handbag/shoe restoration and I want to know if you think it's possible that they can fix it or if anyone has had a similar problem like mine, what did you do about it?

This is the handbag restoration place: http://www.breezecleaner.ca
I haven't had a chance to bring my wallet in to get an estimate. Colour retouching is approximately $10-40.

It's the zip around matelasse wallet in Argilla. I have taken a few pictures so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

Attachments

ThingumyPoppy

Love&Addiction
O.G.
Sep 12, 2010
Scandinavia
I would try one of two different things (tha damage is a bit difficult to see from the pic):

1. If the very colour, not only the glaze, is missing on the spot I would try with regular shoe creme in the same colour as the leather and put on a very small amount on the spot, it will not help the missing glaze but when the spot gets coloured again you will notice it less. Then polish to get some shine back.

2. If the colour is okay, but only the glaze is missing and the damage is more of a "scratch" to the skin, which it looks like from the pic, I would try neutral shoe creme on the spot to get away the dryness on the spot and also protect the damage - it will too make the spot to blend in more and give back some shine if you polish a bit after.

ckris06

Nov 23, 2010
Thank you ThingumyPoppy! I do appreciate you taking the time to answer :smile: I wasn't too sure which of the two situations that you described applied to my wallet (the damage is similar to the regular wear & tear that is happening to the seams).

Unfortunately, LoVienne, there are no Miu Miu stores where I live! Very few stores in Vancouver sell Miu Miu. The closest location is probably Los Angeles.

I took the wallet to the handbag restoration store I mentioned above to get an estimate, and the girl there seemed very confident that she can restore my wallet to brand new condition. I'll have to wait and see how it turns out!