Coloring blonde hair red?

elizat

Sep 21, 2007
Has anyone done this before and have it look nice? I am in love w/ Isla Fisher's hair from the Shopaholic movie, but am naturally blonde (fairly light, more of a golden tone than yellow if that makes sense). I'm not sure if a red tone would even look okay, but I really liked hers!

In college, I went really dark and it was a disaster, leading to having my hair stripped of the color. I've not done anything w/ color since (close to 10 years).

Did the red just fade gradually and were you able to get back your natural color- or did it turn pink as it faded? Any advice or thoughts?

I would maybe use a warmer toner & get some strawberry blonde lowlights/highlights, rather than going all-out red immediately. You can make it gradually more & more red if you like it, or easily change it back to blonde if you don't. Good luck!

I would have a salon do it. I have brown hair, and my red still fades out pink. After too many accidents with box colour, I let my trusted colourist do what she is trained to do!

Thanks all. I would go to a salon for sure, b/c I don't know what I am doing. I am just concerned w/ how it will grow out and turning pink if I let it grow out (especially w/ UK2ME's post). I know maintenance is a big issue w/ any red tone too.

I think if anything it might look brassier than Isla's color as it fades, but I think only super white hair fades to pink.

I think it would get brassy too...

I am concerned w/ upkeep too, as LMK pointed out. I like your signature too, LMK. :tup:

Fun idea, but I think it is likely too much work for me. I just get so sick of being blonde though!

I have dark brown hair with blonde and red highlights - the red ones fade all the time and require a massive amount of upkeep. And I only have very thin ones!

In college I had the full out "rocket fire" color red streaks....... I would have to get color pigmented shampoo and only put it on the individual streaks to help maintain the color.

Red is beautiful, but for those of us who color our hair to get it -- it can be a headache for sure....

E, if you're willing to put in a little extra cash, it's really not that bad to maintain. I had red hair for a few years. I used a special shampoo from Aveda to prevent fading and just didn't wash it as often. I could go 5-6 weeks without coloring it. The only color I don't need to do that often is dark brown.

^ Thanks. I don't mind some maintenance, but every 3 weeks is too much for me.

Do you remember my blacked out face photo? I don't know if it would even look okay w/ my coloring... I switched hair stylists not too long ago and am going to go back to my original and I know she would be honest w/ me if it would look awful.

I am a natural blonde and went red a few years ago and it was major upkeep. It always started to fade to pink within a few weeks. My hairdresser said it is because the cuticle on blonde hair is open and can't hold the colour. I also found it surprising how many colours I use to wear didn't look good anymore.

I went from naturally med-dark blonde to red a couple years ago. I found that my hair wouldn't fade to pink, but it would fade to a muddy reddish brown- not nearly as vibrant as the freshly dyed color. That would happen after about 3 wks. It was also really hard to get out- it took 3 dye lifting treatments and several months to get back to anything like blonde, and I could still see strawberry tones for about 6 mos until I dyed my hair dark brown to cover it. A couple colorists told me that red is the fastest to fade and the hardest to get out. That said, being a redhead was fun, although I did have to reevaluate what colors looked good.

I'm a natural blonde and went red. It looked OK, but be sure to have a salon do it and it doesn take A LOT of maintenance. It can fade to pink of you don't keep up with it.