Color transfer on white togo leather

aethra21

O.G.
Mar 12, 2009
Hi, I recently bought a white so-kelly bag (less than 3 weeks old!) and unfortunately got the back of it stained pretty badly due to color transfer from my (maternity) clothing. I've taken it back to Hermes the next day...but am just wondering if anyone has experience with cleaning their white togo bags. The problem for my bag is it has mykonos contrast stitching (because the lining is mykonos)...so I'm not sure if it can even be recolored or saved!! So sad!! :faint: Anyone has (hopefully positive) experience to share with me???

Hermes has a new policy on white bags that they will only clean them up once in its lifetime. So, if they do manage to remove the colour transfer for you, be extra careful when you get it back because they won't do it a second time. HTH

Hermes has a new policy on white bags that they will only clean them up once in its lifetime. So, if they do manage to remove the colour transfer for you, be extra careful when you get it back because they won't do it a second time. HTH

Thanks, my SA didn't mention that. Have you heard of anyone who's managed to get color transfers cleaned out or white bags actually recolored? I'm not sure if they can do so in my case because of the mykonos contrast stitching.

Yes, this is what I heard also, but I am wondering how can they know if the bag was restored?

I have a white birkin and I restored the handles and corners and you can see in a way that it has been cleaned, but in a few years from now, how will they be able to say if they already did it?

I also wonder what about crocs? like Himalaya i.e.?

As far as I am aware, what our craftswoman told me, is that they do not normally re-colour the bags, at least not on big areas. All they do is remove the stain, clean, condition and perhaps touch up on corners etc. So I think your bag will be cleaned, not coloured.

Yes, this is what I heard also, but I am wondering how can they know if the bag was restored?

I have a white birkin and I restored the handles and corners and you can see in a way that it has been cleaned, but in a few years from now, how will they be able to say if they already did it?

My understanding and don't quote me on this is that they keep a record of white bags including the year & craftman stamps together with which store and customer details were used for the spa request.

I guess until someone tries to get a white bag spa'd for the second time we won't know how good their system and records are

As far as I am aware, what our craftswoman told me, is that they do not normally re-colour the bags, at least not on big areas. All they do is remove the stain, clean, condition and perhaps touch up on corners etc. So I think your bag will be cleaned, not coloured.

When I was going to order a white bag earlier this year I was advised that it will only be cleaned once in a lifetime and I should bear this in mind. Hence I didn't go ahead wth my order. As much as I baby my bags I can see white requiring cleaning more than once in my lifetime

No no white is retouched as in recoulored but it's not exactly true that they won't service the bag more than once they will clean and re do the wax and HW as many times as it may be necessary they will only re glaze or colour the bag once !!!! That is how it goes my sister a collector of all light and clear colors knows this well and darling buy baby wipes and try wiping the bag as soon as you see something and that's it !!!!!! Try cleaning it !! And maintain it well yourself so that you can wait for the reglaze as much as you can !!!

No no white is retouched as in recoulored but it's not exactly true that they won't service the bag more than once they will clean and re do the wax and HW as many times as it may be necessary they will only re glaze or colour the bag once !!!! That is how it goes my sister a collector of all light and clear colors knows this well and darling buy baby wipes and try wiping the bag as soon as you see something and that's it !!!!!! Try cleaning it !! And maintain it well yourself so that you can wait for the reglaze as much as you can !!!

Yes, carry non alcoholic baby wipes in a travel pack inside your bag. As soon as you see the color transfer, wipe it down immediately. It will come off. Don't let it set.

I've never found baby wipes to do all that much, honestly. I think it would just be easier to not wear dark colours when you're carrying a light coloured or white bag.

I've never found baby wipes to do all that much, honestly. I think it would just be easier to not wear dark colours when you're carrying a light coloured or white bag.

It's true. I was carrying non-alcoholic, non-fragranced baby wipes and they didn't do anything to the horrible color transfer (basically the entire back of my so kelly + corneres looked like it was smudged blue) when I realized what had happened. However, baby wipes work extremely well for the usual dirt stains, even newspaper stains, just against inks or clothing dyes, I think.

I think I have to be really careful with what I wear next time with the white bag...my clothing will have to be either really good quality (i.e. no dark-hued high street clothing cuz you can never be sure of the clothing dyes they use) or just light colored so there wouldn't be this issue.

That being said, I don't regret getting a white so kelly at all, I miss my bag and I hope she'll be back soon, as white as possible...!!

I think this time it was really a horrid color transfer...can't wait for a reglaze...because the entire back of the bag looks like it was smudged blue :crybaby::faint: and it's too obvious cuz the so kelly is a longish bag :sad:

Hi costa, did your bring your bag into Hermes or had it cleaned somewhere else? Did it have any denim/color transfer type of stains that Hermes was able to remove? Hope this means my bag can be saved !! :faint:

What about the magic erasor? My friend used that on a cream leather bag she had and it worked to get the dark blue color transfer off from her jeans. It wasn't an H bag though.

Hi costa, did your bring your bag into Hermes or had it cleaned somewhere else? Did it have any denim/color transfer type of stains that Hermes was able to remove? Hope this means my bag can be saved !! :faint:

I brought it to Hermes since I had to refurbish the corners. They didn't do anything for thr handles though.

I really hope they will be able to save your bag. I think it depends of what kind of color it's on your bag.