Color transfer on hermes bags? Please advise a newbie!

May 14, 2012
Hello everyone,
I'm a newbie to the Hermes world so I apologize if this has been discussed before. I just purchased my first J28 bag in etain and a B35 in the color feu. My question is do I need to worry about color transfer from dark jeans on to either bag? I've had this happen to my Chanel jumbo in pink so I'm a bit concerned this might happen with my birkin or jypsiere. Any advice is truly appreciated. TIA!

I'm super careful when carrying my red kelly, gold birkin, and natural sable swift constance when wearing dark denim for fear of the transfer. I probably look really silly with my arm stretched out to the side as I walk! :P In all seriousness, just be careful that the bag doesn't keep brushing up against the jeans. I know there is a thread on this topic, and I'm sorry that I don't know where it is. Perhaps, do a search? Congrats on your bags! Enjoy them to the fullest!:smile:

I have worn my B30 Orange poppy (very similar to Feu) with dark jeans and have no issue with color transfer. And I always carry few non alcohol baby wipes with me just in case of accidents on the bag. I think swift is more prone to color transfer than clemence/togo...

Reactions: Bereal
I wear denim all the time and it transfers on lighter bags. A Lexol leather cleaner wipe will take it right off. I keep a shoe and bag care kit in my closet including a canister of Lexol, and just take a swipe on the bag at end of day. I do NOT recommend baby wipes on bags personally.
I have seen H spa take serious transfer off a bag but it is wise to not let it sit for long.

I think that Chanel lambskin bags are more prone to color transfer. I had that problem with a pale pink bag I wore with a navy chanel coat. It was not cleanable and I sold it at a huge loss rather than keep it. I have never had a problem with color transfer on any of my clemence, togo or swift bags and I have many colors (except craie, which I am hoping for this year). And I wear jeans all the time.

Reactions: Sunshine mama
I think that Chanel lambskin bags are more prone to color transfer. I had that problem with a pale pink bag I wore with a navy chanel coat. It was not cleanable and I sold it at a huge loss rather than keep it. I have never had a problem with color transfer on any of my clemence, togo or swift bags and I have many colors (except craie, which I am hoping for this year). And I wear jeans all the time.
Thank you for the advice. My b35 is in the epsom leather so I'm hoping there won't be a color transfer issue.

Color transfer can be an issue with any leather and is not brand specific. Hence why I'll never buy a car with light leather seats. Just be careful with lighter leathers and enjoy your bags.
Thank you! Good point on the lighter leather as I learned my lesson with my pink Chanel lambskin jumbo so that's why I was a bit scared!

My advice to minimize (not solve) the problem is about the jeans, not the bags:
- wash them before you wear them the 1st time in cold water and air dry to avoid fading.
- use a color fixative (best) or color grabber sheet (2nd choice, but more readily available since it's sold in supermarkets).
- something that I just thought about, but have never tried, so please test it on an inexpensive pair of jeans and leather bag you don't mind experimenting with before grabbing your Balmain jeans and Craie Birkin. Wouldn't spraying your jeans with a Scotch guard for fabrics minimize the color transfer? If it prevent stains, dirt, etc from getting 'into' the fabric' it should minimize dyes feom getting 'out' of the fabric as well, no? Again, it's just an idea, I've never tried and if you do, please let us know the results.

Reactions: PJW5813