Color transfer on coach heritage stripe tattersall tote

mysteriousone

Aug 31, 2008
Hi,

I just recently purchased the Coach Heritage Stripe Tattersall Tote. Any dark colored shirt that I wear, no matter how many times I wash my clothing, color transfer always seem to occur. Does anyone have this same problem?

Because of the conditioning that is put on the purse most of the color transfer comes off, however there are still dark stains on my purse. It literally makes me sick. Does anyone know any products that might help my situation?

I have contacted Coach several times and each time they tell me the same thing: to use a white warm wash cloth with a little bit of soap to remove any color transfer stains. This does not remove all stains. Coach also told me that there is nothing they can do to help me, they said as time goes on the stains wont be as noticeable.

Please Help and I hope this thread will warn people about this purse. I love the purse but the only color shirt that I can wear with this bag is white!!

if you're talking about the coated tattersall tote..then the baby wipes won't work if the transfer already settled in:tdown:
it happened to mine, i was wearing a black shirt and noticed some color transfer on the tote tried the baby wipes and didn't work..can't wear anything dark (tops/shirts) with it because it will transfer to the bag...i usually wear magenta or white colored tops.
there was a few thread regarding the color transfers on the tote awhile back when it first came out and some members posted pics of their coated tattersall with the transfers..
sorry it happened to you...i do recommend cleaning it with mild soap and water before you store it so the dirt does not settle in, also make sure you store the handle and the hangtag inside so the pink on the handle strap and the tag does not transfer to the tote..HTH.

Last edited:
I have been able to get it all off of both of mine (medium satchel before I sold it and the travel satchel) with baby wipes or a washcloth with soap and water.

How serious is the transfer? Out of habit I wipe it down after every trip.

The transfer isnt too bad. But i know its there. So disappointing. And the sad thing is am always wiping off the purse when i get home and still stains. I have noticed the only place the color transfer does not wipe away is right at the seam.

I have the same purse and the same exact problem. I wear a lot of black. I have not had much success in removing the color. I called Coach and they told me there was not much that could be done, as the color transfer is permanent. If anyone has found anything that works to remove the color transfer, please post a response.

I have the mini skinny and the wristlet from the HS Coated Tattersal line, and I too had some transfer onto my mini skinny. I'm guessing it was from my jeans since it's a dark blue. Most of it came off, but there's a faint spot that never came off completely and with which I have made my peace with :sad:

Last edited:
I have been able to get it all off of both of mine (medium satchel before I sold it and the travel satchel) with baby wipes or a washcloth with soap and water.

How serious is the transfer? Out of habit I wipe it down after every trip.

sorry for going OT but... OMG you sold the medium satchel! :wtf:

back to the topic, i rotate between white, black and coloured clothes, so i make sure i always wear white when i'm planning to use the tattersall set. fortunately, i like to wear white the most often.

i heard that anything that cleans or is harsh may smudge the coated canvas, so i'm not sure if those magic erasers would be a good idea. :confused1:

I get transfer on my tattersall heritage tote frequently, but it always comes off with just a white washcloth w/warm water. Also, be careful when using baby wipes, there have been posts about them causing problems on the coated bags.

I have tried the magic eraser. It doesn't seem to help with the color transfer, but it did not seem to hurt the coating on the bag either. I have also tried bleach, oxyclean, ammonia, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, shout, various rug cleaners, window cleaner, regular soap and water, gonzo, purple power, scrubbing bubbles, and holy cow all purpose cleaner. I figured since the bag is ruined anyway, I would try Zep grout cleaner & whitener which has hydrochloric acid in it. Unfortunately, none of these worked. I have been able to lighten the stain, but it is not entirely gone. I must have the cleanest stained bag in the world right now. However, I must say, the coating has not been affected adversely in any way. I am going to try Rit Dye remover this weekend. Maybe that will work. Assuming that it does (I'm still hopeful & persistent :smile:), I plan to Scotchgard this bag. Has anyone tried this?

I have the large tattersall tote and it too has been ruined by color transfer. I'm sick about it! I just started to use this as my everyday bag a few weeks ago, but am now wondering how smart this is..... I would have thought the coated surface would have made prevented this!

Ugh! If anyone ever finds a solution....please post! Sooo sad! I have every imaginable matching assessorie known to mankind. Including pony scarf, winter scarf, spring scarf.....if it matched....I bought it! Im even using the demi bag as my makeup bag (but yes I got the makeup bag as well)...This was a huge splurge for me, but I just absolutrly fell hard for this style. I was going to baby this bag and carry it every spring. I still can......but......BUMMER! :nuts: