Color theory & wardrobe planning

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Are there any color experts out there? Below is a picture that represents my winter wardrobe:

As you can see, I love every shade of burgundy. The blues are overstated, I actually have more reds. The green is probably not the best color for me, a jewel tone is better, but I love that color. The pale lavender is only one shirt.

Anyway, I need new summer clothes. Because I look best in jewel tones, I am having a lot of trouble finding summer clothes in light colors--if the color isn't clear (ie, sorbets or pastel) I look awful.

So, does anyone have any advice for establishing a summer palette of colors?

Thanks much...

-E

Attached Files:

2. Doesn't it depend on your colouring? Then you go from there. Rich colours always look better on me.

3. If you look best in jewel tones, then I would guess bright and bold spring colors instead of light ones.

4. ^I'm the same way; I look like death in pastels. I love wearing jewel tones and bold colors...brighter purples and blues are my favorites. It definitely depends on your skin tone and hair color though.

5. i'm a "winter" and look best in the colors you describe.. and much to my husband's dismay at times, I have never had a problem finding & buying clothing, no matter what the season :smile:

6. Yes, I am a winter, and the rich bold colors look the best on me. I just don't like wearing the dark colors in the hot summer. Do you have any recommendations as to how I can "lighten up" my summer wardrobe?

7. i too am completely burgundy obsessed! i really don't like colours that are too bright; i especially avoid the extremely "fluorescent" colours - i think generally a yellow undertone is the problem with colours that don't look good on me. at the same time, pastels don't look that great on me either - so no baby blue, pale pink, lavender, etc in my summer wardrobe.

what i've found works best is the group of what i call "vivid" colours . . . basically brighter shades of the rich colours that i favour in the winter. for example, my summer wardrobe is very heavy on colours like these:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

of course, lots of neutrals like grey & taupe as well!

Attached Files:

8. I actually have no idea what season I am, so I mostly wear black, grey, brown and beige... I did notice that I look good in green and blue, though... Ignorant:sos:

9. I look terrible in pastels too. I wear a lot of the same colors as you, minus the burgandy... but in summer I switch from navy to royal or turquoise, dark purple to bright purple, etc. etc. From darker greens to lime green (the only florescent I can pull off!) But generally, I do "lighter" shades of the jewel tones.

10. hear hear! :woohoo: turquoise is piggy's favourite summer colour!

11. Haha I'm definitely guilty of wearing black year round. I definitely agree to just wear brighter shades of the jewel tones you wear in winter. I like wearing royal blue in summer as opposed to navy like I wear in winter, just as an example :smile: You can definitely find lighter summer colors other than pastels/fluorescents

12. As a fellow 'winter', here's what I do:

1. I buy bright flower-patterned garments. As long as there's flowers on it and it is made from lightweight fabric, this stuff screams 'summer' even when the colors are dark.

2. I pair dark rich-colored tops with light-colored bottoms. Khaki skirts and pants, again, scream summer, even when paired with a burgundy short-sleeved blouse or an olive sweater.

3. Summer-color accessories. I own a nude-colored and a white bag, and a ton of summer light-colored footwear. Nude-colored strappy sandals will 'summerize' a bunch of darker-colored stuff. So does a light-colored bag.

4. The color of the season. This season it is blue. There's many shades of blue such as electric blue and true navy that look good on a 'winter'. Guess who's just bought a bright blue patterned blouse and blue matching cardigan to go with her white, khaki and olive-green summer pants? And so on.

Hope this helps.

p-WA

13. p-WA, very helpful, thanks! Oddly, last summer I had 3 pairs of pants: white, khaki, and black. Couldn't find an olive that fit. I am going to take your advice and up the hunt for nude colored sandals.

14. You could always wear neutrals in the summer, and just accent with the jewel tones. Like a chunky jewel necklace, or a silk scarf.

15. I'm in the same boat except I need warmer colors. My DH and DD are both winters though.

I think white and tan with jewel tones and light/bright acessories look very summer. I see a lot of navy and purple out right now which generally look good on a winter.