Color Enhancing Shampoos, Tried any?

Echoes

O.G.
Aug 8, 2008
Just curious if you've noticed any difference.

I've been using the ones from Pantene for brown tones ( Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions ) and it does seem to be doing something with the grays, but I'm wondering if it's just my imagination.

I have used a couple of colour enhancing shampoos, but only to maintain the dye. I colour my hair auburn-ish, and haven't really noticed any longer-lasting effects with the enhancing shampoo vs. the regular one.

My roommate has ash blonde highlights and swears by this purple coloured shampoo which supposedly keeps the blonde from turning yellow.

I've tried several of the reds for my auburn hair and if anything I think they can add a slightly brassy tone. I'll sometimes use one for gold/blonde hair to add a bit of brightness, but I'm not sure I see a huge difference.

I have lots of blonde hilites and I use purple shampoo. I have a lot of brassy undertones in my hair and this shampoo really does keep that away. It's super drying though so I always follow up with a deep conditioning treatment and I don't do it more than 3 times a week.

I started using Loreal Professional Line (used to be called Artec) color depositing shampoo to keep my color from fading quickly and so far I like it. My color is more vibrant when I use it, suggested to use every other shampoo.

I started using Loreal Professional Line (used to be called Artec) color depositing shampoo to keep my color from fading quickly and so far I like it. My color is more vibrant when I use it, suggested to use every other shampoo.

Yeah I use the same Loreal Professional Colorist Collection (use to be called Artec), it slightly helps cover my grays but helps keep my color brighter.

Colored shampoos will take the edge off of your grey hair. Since the color in them is what is called a direct dye (Which is much like food coloring) it will add stain to the hair...pigmented or otherwise.
Absolutepink,( and all of us other blondes out there) you should give a try to the new Pravana Pure Light system. It is a fantastic shampoo and conditioner with a fabulous high dye load blue color to both the shampoo and conditioner. Both are sulfate free and the conditioner is very thick, luxurious and moisturizing. Positively the best on the market!!!!

I have used the Black Malva line from Aveda. I have black hair with a few grays. While the shampoo/conditioner didn't completely cover the grays, it did make them slightly less noticeable.

Colored shampoos will take the edge off of your grey hair. Since the color in them is what is called a direct dye (Which is much like food coloring) it will add stain to the hair...pigmented or otherwise.

I don't know. It looks like it's doing something. I guess 'taking the edge off the grey' might be a good expression.

When I had to reevaluate the amount of money I was spending on hair care products a few months back, I started using the John Freida Brilliant Brunette shampoo instead of the $30/bottle stuff I was using. I used it on my black hair and still use it now that my hair is more of a reddish brown, and I think it has done a great job with both, and definitely doesn't fade my hair any more than the expensive stuff did. My black was already a bit faded when I started using it, so I can't tell exactly how well it would do with such a drastic color, but I've been quite pleased with it. Plus it's 1/3 of the price of my previous shampoo, and I don't notice any appreciable difference. If anything, my hair looks and feels better now.