Collonil versus Applegard?

chloe speaks

scootering!
O.G.
Feb 17, 2008
Which one do you use and have you tried the other?

Also, if you have used Collonil, exactly which product did you use? There is a new spray called Nanotech collonil; it sounds great, but wonder if that will work well with Bals. I am liking hearing that the Collonil has UV protection which would be really nice w/ all esp. the bright colored bags.

I've used Applegard; works fine, but I'm pretty new, and so my bags have not stood the test of time yet. So far so good. The Sahara 2011 did not discolor and the finish is exactly the same as when I got her after 2 coats, but she has not been in the rain yet. the 2005 Black is worn in already and with 2 coats looked great after a huge rain storm I got caught in.

Which one do you use and have you tried the other?

Also, if you have used Collonil, exactly which product did you use? There is a new spray called Nanotech collonil; it sounds great, but wonder if that will work well with Bals. I am liking hearing that the Collonil has UV protection which would be really nice w/ all esp. the bright colored bags.

I've used Applegard; works fine, but I'm pretty new, and so my bags have not stood the test of time yet. So far so good. The Sahara 2011 did not discolor and the finish is exactly the same as when I got her after 2 coats, but she has not been in the rain yet. the 2005 Black is worn in already and with 2 coats looked great after a huge rain storm I got caught in.

Apple is the only product I will use on my bags and all of my bags are in great condition, even my 2007 white which I have carried every summer off and on since 2007.

Reactions: striveforluxury
I like Colonil but have only used it on my Mulberry purses and frye boots- and works great on them...But Haven't tried on a bal yet. I have used Apple on my bbags as well and am afraid to try anything else.

I really like Apple as well -- it protects my Bals from losing color and rubbing off on my clothing. My black Bal has been in the rain several times with no loss of color at all. I had a red Bal that I didn't rainproof and when it drizzled, it turned the shoulder part of my jacket red :sad:

I also like that Apple products are easy to find and affordable.

I can only speak of Collonil Lotion which I use.
I had pretty dry leather on a few Balbags due to the humidity over here and I used up a number of bottles of LMB and still can't beat the weather condition here so I switched to Collonil and after 2 coats (in between drying up), it works !! Even with the hot and humid weather, the leather is all the more moistened esp. in the case of my mint condition Galet GGH PT which was papery thin-like and really dry almost flaking has finally achieved a distressed soft leather, like it has been given a new lease on life as a totally different bag.
After the treatment, I never needed to reapply ever since and even if it gets a bit rained on, no effect on my bags.
I haven't tried Apple since don't know where I can find one over here so I order my collonil online.

Apple is the only product I will use on my bags and all of my bags are in great condition, even my 2007 white which I have carried every summer off and on since 2007.

I really like Apple as well -- it protects my Bals from losing color and rubbing off on my clothing. My black Bal has been in the rain several times with no loss of color at all. I had a red Bal that I didn't rainproof and when it drizzled, it turned the shoulder part of my jacket red :sad:

I also like that Apple products are easy to find and affordable.

Hi Ladies,

So, the Apple Guard spray dries and leaves the Bal leather feeling like it did before application? I don't want to lose that slickery smooth feel of the Bals and I found LMB left a grittiness, so I switched to Apple conditioner. Love that stuff. However, I've never used their spray.

Also, have you used the Apple spray on your handles too? I use FHO on my handles but it's not the end all protector for handles, as well all know. I'm trying to find another level of protection so I can enjoy using my handles with less worry.

Reactions: handbaggirlde
Hi Ladies,

So, the Apple Guard spray dries and leaves the Bal leather feeling like it did before application? I don't want to lose that slickery smooth feel of the Bals and I found LMB left a grittiness, so I switched to Apple conditioner. Love that stuff. However, I've never used their spray.

Also, have you used the Apple spray on your handles too? I use FHO on my handles but it's not the end all protector for handles, as well all know. I'm trying to find another level of protection so I can enjoy using my handles with less worry.

I spray Apple on my entire bag, including the handles. The spray smells bad so do it in a well ventilated area and spray at arm's length. The spray doesn't change the texture or feel of the leather, but it does have a smell to it. The smell fades with time, though.

I spray Apple on my entire bag, including the handles. The spray smells bad so do it in a well ventilated area and spray at arm's length. The spray doesn't change the texture or feel of the leather, but it does have a smell to it. The smell fades with time, though.

Thanks Jira! Do you feel the handles really benefit from the spray? I know lots of Bal collectors simply don't use their handles to keep their handles looking pristine, but I want to enjoy using my handles. Do you reapply the spray after a certain amount of time/use or is it just a one time application?
Thanks!!!

Thanks Jira! Do you feel the handles really benefit from the spray? I know lots of Bal collectors simply don't use their handles to keep their handles looking pristine, but I want to enjoy using my handles. Do you reapply the spray after a certain amount of time/use or is it just a one time application?
Thanks!!!

For bags I use regularly, I spray about once every 6 weeks. I spray bags I don't use much every 4-5 months. It protects against water especially well! I've been caught in the rain with my Bals and they dried without any marks or stains.

As for handles, I don't think Apple prevents them from darkening because all my Bal handles have darkened.

For bags I use regularly, I spray about once every 6 weeks. I spray bags I don't use much every 4-5 months. It protects against water especially well! I've been caught in the rain with my Bals and they dried without any marks or stains.

As for handles, I don't think Apple prevents them from darkening because all my Bal handles have darkened.

That is very helpful to know. Thanks Jira!

So after reading many many posts and threads on maintainence n care...I understood one thing.

Its a two step process for Balenciaga bag.

1. spray with Applegard Rain and Stain repellant
2. Condition with Apple Leather care (the conditioner)

Anything else to be done?? Too many brands and too many questions...I am dead confused... :smile:

Does anyone know if and when Applegard products expire? I haven't used the rain repellent since last summer, but still use the moisturizer and cleaner regularly. Any advice will be appreciated!