Collonil leather spray

jennifer-j

O.G.
Oct 6, 2007
Hi everyone,

A friend told me she was advised to use Colonil products on the vachetta of her mono LV bags, to protect them against water stains and dirt. Colonil is advised by Mulberry, so I guess it is a high quality brand. But my friend is afraid to use it, because she doesn't want to ruin the vachetta of her new bag. She would like to know how the bag ages, as she loves bags with a bit of patina (but not the almost black look that the top of the handle of hand-held bags get after years of use).

I read on this forum that a lot people have good experiences with LMB and Apple, but these products are very hard to get in Europe. Colonil is a German product and is available in many European stores. Therefore I would like to hear some experiences, especially of long time users.

Hi everyone,

A friend told me she was advised to use Colonil products on the vachetta of her mono LV bags, to protect them against water stains and dirt. Colonil is advised by Mulberry, so I guess it is a high quality brand. But my friend is afraid to use it, because she doesn't want to ruin the vachetta of her new bag. She would like to know how the bag ages, as she loves bags with a bit of patina (but not the almost black look that the top of the handle of hand-held bags get after years of use).

I read on this forum that a lot people have good experiences with LMB and Apple, but these products are very hard to get in Europe. Colonil is a German product and is available in many European stores. Therefore I would like to hear some experiences, especially of long time users.

Funny, I was looking for the same information. I bought an azur Eva in 2014 and sprayed it with Collonil. I bought it preloved, but it was only a year old and had the slightest patina. It was truly in like new condition. The vachetta darkened slightly immediately after spraying, but not enough to worry me. I pulled the bag out over the weekend and was surprised by how dark the leather has gotten. It's in the medium honey range with a slightly different tone than some of my other bags that I haven't treated. I've probably used it less than ten times in the past 4 years (shameful, I know), so I know the darkening isn't due to use. I'm wondering if the spray doesn't allow the leather to breathe and therefore speeds the patina process??? I just got a new azur bag last weekend and am not going to spray it...

Reactions: Izzybet
Thanks so much for sharing your experience! I've read a few older posts about the Colonil leather spray. Everyone seemed happy about the product immediately after using it, but no one had any long term experience with the product.

I love the way most of the LV bags age, but after I heard the advice my friend got, I also was considering using it on only held hand bags or DE bags. Good to know that it can speed up the patina process.

I do think the patina process continues when the bags are stored in a dark place. I used to think it needed to be used and exposed to sunlight for the vachetta to darken, until I noticed that one mono bag that stayed in my closet for a long time had gotten a lot of darker as well. But if the patina differs from your other bags that weren't treated, then most likely it will be caused by the product you used.

You may be right that the spray doesn't allow the leather to breath. In the following thread you can see the effects of the colonil water stop spray: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/amazing-result-collonil-waterstop-spray-on-vachetta.868410/ It does give amazing results to prevent water stains, but it obviously lays an impermeable film on the vachetta.

Does the smell from the Collonil spray dissipate? It’s horrible. I sprayed my nubuck bag last night, and it still smells of the chemicals this morning.

Does the smell from the Collonil spray dissipate? It’s horrible. I sprayed my nubuck bag last night, and it still smells of the chemicals this morning.
Yes.
Spray it outside. Let bag air a bit.
Or use collonil leather gel on smooth leather. Fine indoors, no propellents.
----
Used for years, all sorts of items/bags, no problems.
Sprayed my lv iena handles, interior, leather details.
Sprayed interiors of both zippy wallet & key case. Helps keep cleaner, imo.

My patina-desired bags still patina with collonil use. Just no watermarks or coffee spill stains. Great.

Okay thank you! It’s the Collonil Waterstop/UV spray. It was amazing to me how strong the chemical smell was. I sprayed it on the bag outside late last night, and brought it in - then the house was filled with the smell. It’s not as bad now as it was even this morning, so there’s hope! I loved the leather smell of this bag, and would be so upset if it was replaced by a chemical scent.

Has anyone used this spray on The canvas of DA? I heard it helps against color transfer /makes it easily wipeable on leather products but not sure how it would do on canvas? Thanks!