Collette satchel in crimson - thoughts?

kcoach

Jul 23, 2013
My FOS purchase arrived today - the Collette satchel in crimson with gold hardware. I'm not sure if I'll keep it or not. The color is really pretty (similar to Scarlet, but not quite as bright), the gold hardware looks great with this shade of red. It's a nice size and I like that the shoulder strap isn't too long, so it doesn't hang way down and look weird when you're carrying it by the handles. It came beautifully wrapped, all the way down to plastic covering on the little metal feet on the bottom of the bag! It reminds me a lot of the Sophia.

I'm undecided on the leather. I'm not a fan of MFF stuff generally. I do think Coach is upping their game with this line though, and the leather is nice and thick. I actually like this leather better than the new Rhyder leather, which I find to be thin and cheaper-feeling (especially at the price they're asking for it). It's no Legacy leather, but it's nice, especially at the price I paid. The bag is marked $428 (I know, ridiculous) and I paid $177 with tax. It's just a little shiny, but I don't know that that's a bad thing. I guess I'm used to the flatter Legacy leather. This would not be an every day bag for me - just a fun colorful bag I could put in my fall/winter rotation. This color is actually nice year-round I think. I do have another bag that's a similar shade of red, but it's kindof small and I don't tend to use it much, as it has a turnlock and it's a little harder to get in and out of.

Anyway, I'd love to get opinions from you all. Before it even arrived, I started second guessing my purchase and figured maybe I'd take it to the FP store and put the money towards a Dakotah (that's the only bag I'm really liking right now in the boutiques). But the small Dakotah only comes in black and light blue and I don't need either of those colors right now.

Tell me what you think of this one! I need help deciding!

Attachments

• collette.jpg
    collette.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 451
  • collette2.jpg
    collette2.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 448
  • collette3.jpg
    collette3.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 445
If you are having second thoughts right away, I say return it and get something else. This bag reminds me of a cross between the Sabrina and the Juliette in a way. It is pretty, but it doesn't speak to me like some of the other styles do.

My FOS purchase arrived today - the Collette satchel in crimson with gold hardware. I'm not sure if I'll keep it or not. The color is really pretty (similar to Scarlet, but not quite as bright), the gold hardware looks great with this shade of red. It's a nice size and I like that the shoulder strap isn't too long, so it doesn't hang way down and look weird when you're carrying it by the handles. It came beautifully wrapped, all the way down to plastic covering on the little metal feet on the bottom of the bag! It reminds me a lot of the Sophia.

I'm undecided on the leather. I'm not a fan of MFF stuff generally. I do think Coach is upping their game with this line though, and the leather is nice and thick. I actually like this leather better than the new Rhyder leather, which I find to be thin and cheaper-feeling (especially at the price they're asking for it). It's no Legacy leather, but it's nice, especially at the price I paid. The bag is marked $428 (I know, ridiculous) and I paid $177 with tax. It's just a little shiny, but I don't know that that's a bad thing. I guess I'm used to the flatter Legacy leather. This would not be an every day bag for me - just a fun colorful bag I could put in my fall/winter rotation. This color is actually nice year-round I think. I do have another bag that's a similar shade of red, but it's kindof small and I don't tend to use it much, as it has a turnlock and it's a little harder to get in and out of.

Anyway, I'd love to get opinions from you all. Before it even arrived, I started second guessing my purchase and figured maybe I'd take it to the FP store and put the money towards a Dakotah (that's the only bag I'm really liking right now in the boutiques). But the small Dakotah only comes in black and light blue and I don't need either of those colors right now.

Tell me what you think of this one! I need help deciding!
That bag is beautiful and I would keep it as it is a true classic that will coordinate with both dressy and casual clothes.

It's a pretty bag, but I'm just not drawn to it.....yet. It reminds me of the Ashley line which I don't care for. I have not seen this IRL though, and that could change my opinion. If you're not feeling it, return it.

I love it! I've posted this before, but this really reminds me of my Campbell turn lock satchel shape-wise. The Campbell is so comfy to carry. I wish that bag had come in the crimson!!! I could definitely fit that into my rotation for a fall/winter bag. I'd wear it dressed up and dressed down. I'd wear the heck out of it!! I know some women here are anti MFF on principle - and I can understand their pov, and I agree that some of the factory stuff is "meh", but imo the Colette satchel is a stunner. I'm seriously considering getting one now because the shape, the color, the leather-are all calling my name...loudly...lol.
All that said, if it isn't calling your name, you should return it and get something you love and will wear.

I think is pretty, but if you don't love it, return it. Take a look at the Collette tote in suede - now THAT is a bag to behold, especially in the teal color! It's a beauty.

It's nice, but after seeing & touching the leather in person at the outlet, I'm just not a fan. To me it felt plasticky & I didn't like the shine. I also didn't like the logo plate size. If it were me, I would put that money toward a different purchase.

Sent from my iPad using PurseForum

It's nice, but after seeing & touching the leather in person at the outlet, I'm just not a fan. To me it felt plasticky & I didn't like the shine. I also didn't like the logo plate size. If it were me, I would put that money toward a different purchase.

Sent from my iPad using PurseForum

+1... I saw this bag at the Outlet yesterday. IMO I would return it and get the Dakota or another bag.

Thank you guys - I so appreciate your comments. I wondered if I was just being prejudiced against it because it was MFF. I agree that the leather is shiny and a little plastic-like. It doesn't feel like plastic and it actually smells really good!

I'm going to take it back - but if I don't buy something with the credit, I guess I need to send it back to FOS since I don't want a FP store credit and have that hanging over my head.

I think as some do that if it were under 100 and you loved the leather, then yea, but for me, I'd much rather put that 177.00 toward a beautiful FP bag...heck, I've gotten beautiful FP bags for close to 100...

I'm not really a fan of the leather, either...

I think as some do that if it were under 100 and you loved the leather, then yea, but for me, I'd much rather put that 177.00 toward a beautiful FP bag...heck, I've gotten beautiful FP bags for close to 100...

I'm not really a fan of the leather, either...
Good point - $177 is a good chunk of change to go towards something I'll love!