College Students, Do You Work?

Apr 19, 2009
Just curious. If you're a college student do you work, where do you work, full or part time, and your age (if you don't mind saying).

I just started working part-time at a high end clothing store. I'm 19 and go to school full time(except for the summer).

I am out of school, but I did work part time in college. My first 2.5 years I was on the swim team, so I didn't have time to work, but once I got injured I started working part time. I did about 15 hours a week and worked full time summers.

I graduated in May 2008, so a year ago, but I did work all through college. I drove home on the weekends to work, so I worked 16 hours/week for my first 3 years and also taught a conversational Spanish class for 2 hours/week. My senior year, I got a job on campus so I would not have to drive home and could go on interviews, career fairs, etc on the weekends, and worked 20 hours/week and taught 3 hours/week of Spanish :smile:

I graduated a couple of years ago- I worked 30 hours a week throughout school- My first two years I worked coaching gymnastics and developing pictures at Eckerd- then the next two years I worked at the GAP.

I'm 27 and work with movies. I work part time during school and full time during the summer or on breaks. I also own a third of my family's business.

I just graduating, but during college (full-time) I always had at least one part time job. I worked at a recreational facility, a hostess, front desk at a hotel, and retail. Majority of time I only worked 30 hours but when times were a little difficult it was 2 jobs and 50 hours.

I graduated this spring, and any work I did during college was non-essential and simply an extracurricular. I was very strong academically, so I was able to hold two different paid tutoring jobs where I made $15/hour, and it was entirely based on my schedule, so it would have been hard to turn that down. I also worked directly under one of the Deans on a unique program the school offers in conjunction with a major government organization, so that was another hard one to turn down. All the work I did was because I wanted to and because they gave me skills and opportunities that I knew would look good on a future resume and dealt with things I would be interested in doing in the future.

I'm 20 and work part-time. I currently am looking for another job because the job I have now has not panned out to what I was promised in the beginning. I usually work 20-30 hours a week. My job I'm at now I was getting 20 and now am down to 6-8 because other employees are making demands and I'm the lowest on the pole.

I worked part time this past school year and it was not a good choice for me. I had to drive about 25 miles to my job and my schedule was not flexible. I got way too stressed out and I had to work on a day when I had a hard final. I'm not going to work during this school year.

I work part time as a research assistant for a professor. It's great because I basically just do everything from home whenever I feel like it. I usually also work for the math department as a grader or TA. These jobs usually take up about 10-20 hours a week.

I don't do these jobs for the money though- these really are things that I would have done whether they paid me or not, so in some sense they're very extracurricular types of things, because they directly pertain to both of my majors.

I'm 21 and going into my fourth year of University. I don't work, but know lots of people who do.

I'm focused on school, but do volunteer work with children through out the year.