College Students, Do You Work?

Apr 19, 2009
New York City
Just curious. If you're a college student do you work, where do you work, full or part time, and your age (if you don't mind saying).

I just started working part-time at a high end clothing store. I'm 19 and go to school full time(except for the summer).

Megs

I love bags
Admin
O.G.
Sep 13, 2005
www.purseblog.com
I am out of school, but I did work part time in college. My first 2.5 years I was on the swim team, so I didn't have time to work, but once I got injured I started working part time. I did about 15 hours a week and worked full time summers.

oxyoxy136

D N A
Nov 19, 2007
Texas
No, but I've been looking. Unfortunately, I don't have transportation, so I'm stuck looking at school jobs and I'm really trying to find the time to fit one in.

prof ash

O.G.
Jun 10, 2007
USA
I graduated in May 2008, so a year ago, but I did work all through college. I drove home on the weekends to work, so I worked 16 hours/week for my first 3 years and also taught a conversational Spanish class for 2 hours/week. My senior year, I got a job on campus so I would not have to drive home and could go on interviews, career fairs, etc on the weekends, and worked 20 hours/week and taught 3 hours/week of Spanish :smile:

Jun 18, 2007
I graduated a couple of years ago- I worked 30 hours a week throughout school- My first two years I worked coaching gymnastics and developing pictures at Eckerd- then the next two years I worked at the GAP.

jaded

<3
O.G.
Apr 9, 2006
I'm out of school now, but I didn't work during the school year in university. I did work during the summers though.

chloe777

fall is here yay!!
Mar 23, 2008
LA the state
I'm 27 and work with movies. I work part time during school and full time during the summer or on breaks. I also own a third of my family's business.

TMiranda

Aug 11, 2009
Colorado
I just graduating, but during college (full-time) I always had at least one part time job. I worked at a recreational facility, a hostess, front desk at a hotel, and retail. Majority of time I only worked 30 hours but when times were a little difficult it was 2 jobs and 50 hours.

NoraV

Jul 8, 2008
Costa Rica
I graduated this spring, and any work I did during college was non-essential and simply an extracurricular. I was very strong academically, so I was able to hold two different paid tutoring jobs where I made $15/hour, and it was entirely based on my schedule, so it would have been hard to turn that down. I also worked directly under one of the Deans on a unique program the school offers in conjunction with a major government organization, so that was another hard one to turn down. All the work I did was because I wanted to and because they gave me skills and opportunities that I knew would look good on a future resume and dealt with things I would be interested in doing in the future.

Oct 30, 2008
I'm 20 and work part-time. I currently am looking for another job because the job I have now has not panned out to what I was promised in the beginning. I usually work 20-30 hours a week. My job I'm at now I was getting 20 and now am down to 6-8 because other employees are making demands and I'm the lowest on the pole.

luvhautecouture

Chanelaholic
O.G.
Sep 18, 2007
I worked part time this past school year and it was not a good choice for me. I had to drive about 25 miles to my job and my schedule was not flexible. I got way too stressed out and I had to work on a day when I had a hard final. I'm not going to work during this school year.

maebymarni

May 29, 2009
I work part time as a research assistant for a professor. It's great because I basically just do everything from home whenever I feel like it. I usually also work for the math department as a grader or TA. These jobs usually take up about 10-20 hours a week.

I don't do these jobs for the money though- these really are things that I would have done whether they paid me or not, so in some sense they're very extracurricular types of things, because they directly pertain to both of my majors.

carleymarie

Carley-Marie
Aug 26, 2008
Canada
I'm 21 and going into my fourth year of University. I don't work, but know lots of people who do.

I'm focused on school, but do volunteer work with children through out the year.