Collection bag sale anywhere (Neiman Marcus in particular)

crissy11

O.G.
Jun 23, 2009
I went to Montreal yesterday to check out possible ideas for Christmas gifts from Michael Kors. Sadly the only bags I am interested in at this point are from his collection line. I have no desire for another Hamilton, quilted or otherwise. The medium gunmetal quilted was really cute but I don't feel any burning desire to own it.

Do the collection bags ever go on sale or are they ever a part of any event? I'm loving a couple of them, but the prices in Canada are criminal. One was $995 on the website and $1295 here, another is $795 on the website and $995 here.

If I could find a sale in the US it might be worth the drive. Only thing is, it looks like Neiman Marcus is the only one to carry the one I like (and they must run the MK website - it's identical), and thre MK store itself.

Macy's doesn't seem to carry the collection bags, Nordstrom and Bloomingdales carries some but I haven't seen the ones I like on their websites.

I'm also considering the new Marcasite Kristin from Coach and at $298 that feels downright cheap compared to the Kors bags, and the Kristin leather is absolutely divine and I do love the Kristin line, probably my fave from Coach. I already own 2 though, so it would be nice to get something different but it's hard to make the jump from $300 to $1000 which is why a sale would be nice!

Any info on sales would be great - esp. at Neiman Marcus or Michael Kors iteself. THANKS!!

i got my collection bag 40% off at nordstrom a year or so ago. they subsequently went down to 60% off. I believe the pre-sale on designer bags is going on now at nordstrom, so i'd call a few and ask them what they have. they have way more than what is on the internet.

The MK boutique had a private sale on the Fall Collection line--40% - 50% off. The public sale is going on now--30% - 40% off.

Both MK.com and Nordstrom also put a selection at 40% off--also on their website.

Come Friday, I think even more of the MK Collection will be on sale at the department stores. The Macy's I frequent was setting up an area in the MK department with all the fall bags, so I am guessing they are preparing for Friday's big sale.

Here are the ones I am interested in - in order of preference.

Tonne Shoulder Tote in Smoke ($1300 in Canada)

http://www.michaelkors.com/store/ca...cat8501&index=8&cmCat=cat000000cat8501cat3003

Tonne Hobo in Smoke ($1000 in Canada)

http://www.michaelkors.com/store/ca...at8501&index=10&cmCat=cat000000cat8501cat3003

I like this bag a lot - but not the colors. I wouldn't get this one unless the price was really good since I don't like the colors. I do love the leather and the style though.

Crescent Pleated Hobo

http://www.michaelkors.com/store/ca...at8501&index=16&cmCat=cat000000cat8501cat3003

At the beginning of the month, MK Boutiques put a lot of the collection bags on sale for 40% off (this was posted in the deals thread - Post #52, http://forum.purseblog.com/michael-...-and-steals-thread-631943-4.html#post17036792)

Neimans does put MK Collection bags on sale - I almost bought the Roslyn in Parchment last summer. It was marked down to $6-something and was another 25% off so the final price was around $476 -- not bad for a $1200 bag!!

Nordstroms also carries collection bags and I'm almost positive that they're included in the upcoming Designer Sale (starts Fri, but they're pre-selling right now) - Call the store on Michigan Avenue in Chicago (312/464-1515, ask for Designer Bags). I KNOW they carry the MK Collection bags and they'll know what's going on sale (and as someone else said, they have way more in the stores than they do on the website)

Nascarfan buys MK Collection bags -- usually from the boutique - so she would be the best person to ask about sales on the bags

Last edited:
Chrissy, the first two are brand new releases, so it will be a while before you'll find them on a deep discount.

The third one, the barley cresent, is from the fall collection. I want to say that it's on sale now...but not 100%. It's probably 30-40% off. Maybe call the boutique or NM?

Thanks for the info - Nordstrom does ship to Canada so I will call that store tomorrow. Chicago is not driving distance from where I live, and I think it would kill any profit margin if I had to fly there. :P But if they had it at 40% off and could ship it here, now we're talking.

I'm kind of obsessing on this bag now. I dreamt about it all last night!! My DH would buy it for me here, but I really don't think it's worth $1300 - and that price opens up a whole world of other bags. But I'm not interested in other bags (I actually checked out Prada, Dior, LV, etc.). I really, really love this bag, I just don't think it's worth more than about $500.

Hopefully if I'm patient I will be able to get it.

At the beginning of the month, MK Boutiques put a lot of the collection bags on sale for 40% off (this was posted in the deals thread - Post #52, http://forum.purseblog.com/michael-...-and-steals-thread-631943-4.html#post17036792)

Neimans does put MK Collection bags on sale - I almost bought the Roslyn in Parchment last summer. It was marked down to $6-something and was another 25% off so the final price was around $476 -- not bad for a $1200 bag!!

Nordstroms also carries collection bags and I'm almost positive that they're included in the upcoming Designer Sale (starts Fri, but they're pre-selling right now) - Call the store on Michigan Avenue in Chicago (312/464-1515, ask for Designer Bags). I KNOW they carry the MK Collection bags and they'll know what's going on sale (and as someone else said, they have way more in the stores than they do on the website)

Nascarfan buys MK Collection bags -- usually from the boutique - so she would be the best person to ask about sales on the bags

Chrissy, the first two are brand new releases, so it will be a while before you'll find them on a deep discount.

The third one, the barley cresent, is from the fall collection. I want to say that it's on sale now...but not 100%. It's probably 30-40% off. Maybe call the boutique or NM?

OOPS, I just saw this post. That's too bad. Does the US have big sales after Christnas like we do here in Canada? I wonder if there might be a chance of getting it on sale then. I honestly love that bag but cannot see how it is worth even the $1000 it costs in the US much less the $1300 in Canada.

It's fairly easy to see when a bag is worth a few hundred dollars, but when you get up to $1000+ it's hard to see the value anymore - outside of just paying for a brand name.

^ quick clarification...the first bag is on sale now in black...the second bag is a new style released this month...and the Smoke color is a holiday color, so bags in this color are new releases.

As far as sales, most designer clearance sales are going on now or starting in the next week or so. Nordstrom starts their sale officially on Friday...but they are pre-selling now some items. The initial discount is 40% off and then at some point...I think the day after Christmas it goes to 60%.

This has been fun. So far one Nordstrom has had no idea what purse I am talking about even though I have all the info on it. Then I tried another one where I said I was calling long distance from Canada and was put on hold for 10 minutes (literally, I watched the timer on the phone and finally gave up after 10 minutes and no one came back). Then I thought I'd call Lord and Taylor in Syracuse because that's a 3.5 hour drive and was transferred 3 times and then cut off.

Maybe a sign that this isn't meant to be and that I should just stick to Coach.

I just called Neiman Marcus and apparently they carry completely different inventory in store and on the website. He was looking at their lookbook and it sounded like there were a whole bunch of bags from the Tonne collection that aren't on either the MK or the NM websites. Very confusing indeed. And he didn't seem to think any of it was going to be on sale any time soon - not the "Tonne" items anyway.