Workplace coffee shop mtg.. is it an interview??

rcy

O.G.
Dec 30, 2011
hey ladies... i informally applied for a position (and by this i mean i know the ceo casually, he said they were hiring x position & if i was interested to let him know. i said i was & sent my resume, which he forwarded on to who i assume is the hiring mgr.. i will call her p. proper channels to apply for this position would have consisted of applying online and going through hr for an interview.) so p emails me asking if we can meet for coffee to discuss the position.

my question is, do i wear a suit? my inclination is not to, as it is off site and it was never phrased as being an official interview. if i were to meet with her at her ofc, of course i would wear one. i am thinking business casual, pencil skirt and cardigan? thoughts?

tia!

Usually, if it's any sort of interview I would wear a suit. I think it's always best to be slightly over dressed than under. Sometimes people will meet you at a coffee shop etc if they're thinking of letting someone go and you could be the replacement. I've also seen this happen with smaller companies who work in an open concept and they want you to feel a little more comfortable. Yes, you're still in an open concept but at least your potential co-workers aren't ease dropping on your interview.

It could very well be an interview, and I'd treat it as such. It sounds promising, particularly if you'd normally have to go thru HR and other things, but they're not making you do that. I'd still wear a suit and come prepared with another copy of your resume and whatever other documents you think would bring to a formal interview.

I'd go with business casual. A coffee meeting isn't very formal, and it's simply to discuss the position. Of course she's going to get a good look at you too, but my guess is the bulk of it is going to be what you would get in an initial HR phone screen - here's the position requirements/expectations, and maybe finding out why you're interested in it. But not a full interview, more of an informational interview for you.

so how did it go??

ahh, thank you for asking :balloon:
while i think the company is very cool, and what they do sounds very interesting. . the position: not so much! i would be able to do it just fine, it just doesn't sound like something i'd really enjoy for very long. thankfully i don't have to take just anything that's offered, i am fortunate enough to have the luxury to pick what floats my boat!