Codes in Vintage Bags!

C_24

-Claus-
O.G.
May 26, 2007
I`m officially crazy, because it´s 03:39 a.m. here, I just got back from a night out with friends, but I simply had to share my excitement.

I talked to a friend of a good friend of mine and turns out she used to work at Bottega, when there still was a store here in Vienna (in the mid-90s!)!

I asked her if she could still decipher old Authentication Codes and she told me how to do it!

I took this example to explain it better:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTH-BOTTEGA-VE...4QQihZ018QQcategoryZ63852QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So, in bags, the code always starts with "100" or "105", because 1 stands for the category of bags.

Second comes the material (in this case "001" for Intrecciato, "005" is something called Kent, a material that they used back then, usually "009" for fabrics)

Then, a 5-digit code for the product. Bags are starting with 0, "05390" stands for the Veneta and she told me that it`s like the bigger the bag, the bigger the number ("01..." for small clutches, "07..." for big totes). Small Leather Goods start with a 2 ("25..." for card holders, "27..." for key cases and so on)

And last but not least a code of 2 or 3 letters for the color (TER standing for Terre, NE for Nero and so on).

I hope this will help with authenticating older BVs!

Wow! I'm writing all this down and saving it. This obviously applies to the bags after the really old ones like I have. Mine have only the metal nameplate, no tags or numbers inside at all.

Thanks so much!!!:flowers:

^I`m not 100% sure, but I think you can explain it like that:

The first 6 digits are the product code, in the case of a Medium Veneta it`s 115653. The numbers do not give any information about the size or design of the material, but you can vaguely determine the season. Currently the bags begin with 16 or 17, even 18 is used in the FW 2007 collection, I guess.

Then comes the V plus 4 digits- material code, Nappa begins with V001, V0013 in the case of the Medium Veneta and Nappa Umbria begins with V77..

Colors are the last 4 digit group, Neto is usually 1000 (though not completely consistent, sometimes there are black bags that have a different color code), Noce is 2510, 2040 is Ebano, 2640 is Camel (brown shades beginning with 2...), reds begin with 6..., I think 7... and 8... for metallics