Cocker Spaniel's nose got lighter?

MiuMiow

O.G.
May 6, 2008
Hump - see my avatar - had a dark brown nose since birth but the last few weeks it has got considerably lighter, it's now more a caramel colour. He's 19 months old, is it just a part of his growing up?

My mom had an english cocker and her nose seemed to get a little lighter as she aged. Her nose initially was very dark brown (almost black) and became more of a reddish-brown.

I've had a dog with complete pigment intil he was about a year old; now he has no black pigment, entirely pink.

Also, some dogs get "snow nose" where their noses are pink in the winter and get dark in the summer; I have one of those too.

IME the earlier the pigment is lost, the typically it is permanent. Can only speak for the purebreds and mixed breeds I have had.

^^snow nose is interesting...never heard of that. but i did notice the bf's frenchie's nose gets lighter and darker, but i never noticed it changed with the weather...ill have to pay more attention

Also, some dogs get "snow nose" where their noses are pink in the winter and get dark in the summer; I have one of those too.

Yup, I agree- I have seen "snow noses" on some Maltese as well. A friend of mine as a very cute, well bred Maltese, perfect pigmentation..but during the colder months, her usually cute little black nose turns pale..heehee..is actually kind of cute. But once she is out in a sun for a while (maybe 1/2 hr for a couple days.) her nose turns back to normal black.