Coachies w/ the Original Heritage Stripe- How are your straps holding up?

glamgirl84

Sep 10, 2007
I have one of the original heritage stripe totes. I loved it from the start but have always been super scared about staining the (really stupid IMHO) straps. I dont understand why the whole bag is coated to repel stains and yet the straps look like they will stain in an instant. Anyway, I have been REALLY careful w/ my bag and have maybe only carried it 15-20 times. Im a freak about what top i'll wear with the bag (nothing dark that might rub off on the handles), where I store it, letting it have its own seat at restaurants :shame:, etc.

Still, the inside of my straps have color transfer from the leather trim, and one of them looks as though it has worn a weird way from rubbing against the trim of the bag and the shape is distorted, making it look like a snag or something. Im also a bit sad that the handles, once pretty light tan, now just look a little dingey. Im just not impressed with the way my bag is "wearing" if you can even call it "wearing" when I've only used it 15 or so times. Is anyone else feeling this way? Im jealous of those who were patient and now have the totes w/ the leather straps that will wear a lot better. :sad:

I have actually had a good experience with the straps on my Heritage baby bag.. no stains or anything and I have had it since Jan.

My daughter even spilled some food on it and it kinda rolled off the bag and down a handle.. so not a direct hit, lol... but, I just wiped it with a baby wipe and I can't even see where it was now.

I bought this bag to beat up though.. well.. not really BEAT up but it's my diaper bag so it gets knocked around a bit and still looks brand new.

I haven't had any problems yet *knock on wood*

They do look a little darker than when I first got it. I'll probably try using a baby wipe next time I pull her out of her dustbag.

I've seen a couple posts where people have complained about the new leather straps digging into their shoulders since they are thinner. No matter how heavy my large gets, it doesn't really hurt, so I'm personally happy to have the wider straps :yes:

I'm sorry you're having problems though :sad:

I love the bigger straps on my khaki/grass Heritage bag. Personally, I don't like the thinner straps because I carry enough that the straps would dig into my shoulders, and I don't personally like the look as much either on the new bag. The new Heritage bag seems to have its own problems according to some TPFers mentioning that the plastic coating disintegrates with alcohol (cleaning wipes) and the stripe colour 'bleeds.'

So far, I have no problems with my Heritage bag. I think that if it does get dirty, why not just wash the straps and blot them dry? They look durable. Maybe try some cleaner like Sunlight dishwashing soap on the strap?

I would think the strap, like the fabric on all signature fabric would be sprayed with ScotchGuard--as one Coach SA told me. This does not guarantee that it won't get dirty, but if it does get dirty, then you can clean it easily off. Mind you, she warned, that if the dye or stain remains for a period then it may not remove as easily. I was lucky that when I first saw dye transfer from my jeans onto my khaki siggy gallery tote, that I used Clinique facial wash (the only thing I had with me and I refused to use the public bathroom soap), it removed most of the stain and when I got home, I used the Coach siggy cleaner to remove the rest of the stain. Now the gallery tote is as good as new.

HTH!

Take care,

Last edited:
i saw a small transfer on the inside of one of my straps nothing to big to worry baout yet but i really do constantly worry that the straps may get snagged or dirty. I always make sure my hand are clean before touching the straps. They are a little dirty just from normal wear but i hope thats as bad as it gets!

I am really happy with my pink heritage stripe bag. I have very minor pink transfer on 2 straps but nothing really noticeable. I love this bag and I am considering getting a berry one because I think its a great bag for the winters here, rainy and snowy.

I have not had any issues with my straps yet. They did get a little dirty, but I just cleaned them off with a mild detergent and they look the same as they did when I bought the bag!

I have not had any problems with color transfer because I have the white bag! :P

would you be able to post pics?

I have the tote in white and the straps are fine mostly because I wear it on my shoulder. If anything I have to clean the coners of the bag more than the handles

I would call coach and see what they can do for you.

I had the Geranium tote, and yes there was red transfer onto the straps..I was able to clean it off with baby wipes but got so sick of it I sold it! I think you can return it to your boutique for this reason, when these first came out I know someone did do that even after wearing it. HTH

i have the brown one and i have loads of color transfer and pilling. i will be calling my boutique to see if i can return it. i've only had it since March and i haven't exclusively used it, it's been switched out.

has any one else returned it successfully w/ these problems??