Coach Silver Issues

MissTiss

Shopping Issues
O.G.
Mar 2, 2007
I searched "Coach Silver" -- didn't find much...if this is a duplicate I'm so sorry...

94244_svsv_a0_front

I've had it with the jewelry. I purchased the Signature Band Ring in late August and the next day I woke up and the ring was completely black on one side. No amount of polishing could get the tarnish out of the etching. I took it back to the Coach store and they were very kind, albeit confused as to why the ring looked like it'd been through hell.

I don't have issues with silver. I can wear it with no problem and have purchased cheap little rings that have held up far better than that ring had.

Skip to present. I took the second ring back yesterday. The quality is POOR! It scratched at the slightest provocation and had to be touched up with a polishing cloth constantly. High Maintenance Jewelry!! This time the black spots in the etching were PITS! I saw them when looking under a magnifying glass. When I returned it, they took it back with no problem and damaged it out. The SA saw the pits and was floored. They said I wasn't the only person to have a problem.

Is anyone else having silver issues? I'm sad. I really loved that ring.

I'm sticking with Tiffany silver from now on. :yes:

Last edited:
Hmmmm....I find Tiffany & Co silver to scratch very very easily too. I don't know if it's the same issue.

I own the gold-plated brass Boyfriend ring and the gold-plated brass Bridget beaded necklace and I notice that the plating is wearing off but I have had not blackness happening to mine yet. In fact, I am looking forward to the gold plating wearing off (yeah, I'm weird) on my ring so I can see the brass underneath. The main reason I purchased the ring (at a boutique with my bridget at retail) is because I love the brass colour of the hardware on my bags and want to wear something that reminds me of them when I am busy working and can't be with my Coach bags at that moment in time.

Sorry the gold-plated brass and the silver aren't working out for you.

Take care,

I own the Bridget bracelet and noticed tarnishing just recently, when my store gets more in I'm allowed to exchange it for a new one. They're jewelry should not be tarnshing like this, especially for the money, I don't care if it's plated or not -- that's not an excuse. I do own 7 other bracelets from Coach (all gold plated) and haven't had a problem yet...just with the Bridget.

I have a tiffanys knot ring that scratches easily but when I use silver polish the scratches buff right out, I'm very sensitive to jewelry, and have heard that the coach silver rings leave green marks on your fingers!!! this can't be good quality silver or even silver at all!

Last edited:
There are products to get the black spots off SS, like Tarnax. When caused by bleach, ammonia is supposed to help remove the black area. I once tried soaking a soft SS ring I had that got the black spots, and the spots did come off with window cleaner (that's all I had around!). It's generally not recommended though, so a SS cleaner dip should remove it.

Also one of those Quicksilver plates (charged plate you put in water & solution with all your jewelry) is really good at making your jewelry look like new. You might be able to find it at your local state fair (since it's that time of year again).

their silver is .925 Italian Sterling..so I'm confused as to why there are so many quality issues. This is really no different than the silver used by Tiffany's.

I have worn my SS script band ring nonstop since I got it a couple months ago, and it still looks perfect. Tiny scratches if you look VERY closely, but any highly polished silver will show scratches. :yes:

Different alloys are often used depending on the manufacturer of sterling silver, and since metals all react to people's body chemistry differently, it may be that you are reacting to something in the alloy. That does not make it a quality issue - different metals just react differently to individual body chemistry.

I am sensitive to nickel in alloys, for example, so there is a lot of white gold and some silver that I cannot wear. For some reason the Coach silver does not bother me, though. :shrugs:

Last edited:
I have the ss "boyfriend" band ring and I've worn it a lot including 2 weeks in El Salvador where it subbed in for my wedding set (not a good idea to wear a lot of bling there) and while it is pretty scratched up, I've not had any tarnish issues. I do have several other of the gold pieces - I guess they are gold plate - I don't wear them a lot and they all look pretty much like new - I totally agree the jewelry is overpriced which is why I only buy it on clearance or on pce, but I've not had quality issues.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with this ring.
I have only worn mine a few times but it still looks as good as the day I purchased it.

I will be keeping an eye on it to make sure that it stays perfect.
Thanks for the heads up.

Glad I read this thread. I have a Tiffany heart necklace that I purchased last year and its been perfect! I just ordered the Coach snaphead earrings so I hope I dont have a problem. I have bangles from Coach and theyve all been great:smile:

I'm glad you all are having no problems. I hope it stays that way :tup:
Maybe I just got two duds.

I suspect it is an alloy issue and perhaps a reaction to my skin -- not all .925 silver is created equal. This ring pitted and tarnished like it had been sitting around for 100 years in the elements. BAD. I've never had silver trouble like that before.

I really wanted to like it, but I give up. It wasn't the scracthes that bothered me, it was the constant polishing it required to look nice.
:shrugs: