Coach Shrink needed :p I enjoy owning over wearing!

I know how you feel about not wanting to use certain bags because you're afraid to, but I will tell you my biggest Coach secret:

THESE BAGS CAN TAKE A TON OF ABUSE!!!!! Trust me!! Unless they are a super delicate material (lurex, scarf print, CERTAIN leathers) they can be stuffed to the brim, rained on, carried for months on end, tossed to the side, taken anywhere.

Your bags want to be used! They were made to be taken out and carried and shown off!

Hi,
I have to agree with Lovecoachmore's comment. I do love Coach, however if I am searching for a particular color leather bag I look at other lines that are a good bag and not breaking the bank if you know what I mean. I had been wanting a Fushia/Magenta pinkish leather bag. Though I did not see anything that took my breath away in the coach line, while at Macys I did see a B.Makowsky all leather Magenta East West Satchel and it was marked down 30% off of the already redlined 179.00 price so I scored big time with my leather B.Makowsky bag and still get so many compiments whenever I carry her people have stopped me to ask where I got my bag from. So I try to look at other designers so this limits me from impulse buys at Coach and having to return them. I am holding out for the large Claire in Black and hoping to pick it up at outlet this coming weekend since its a big holiday weekend here in New York. A lot of sales going on, hopefully Riverhead Outlet will have my baby waiting for me. I see a lot of them on ebay but I think I can get her much cheaper with the 20% coupon they will probably give out since its a holiday weekend next week. I Love Coach but I am frugal in the sense that I only will purchase the bag if it hits the outlets or a sale at Macys, Bloomingdales. I just saw someones Audrey in Jade yesterday and I am thinking this would be a great purchase for spring summer but only if I get her on sale otherwise I will pick a different handbag designer in the Jade color.

You are soooo not alone! I'm fortunate (and feel appreciative) to have a closet full of beautiful bags; however, I tend to revert to wearing the same ones again and again. Clearly, those are the bags that I feel comfortable using and which function well to meet my needs.

So much good advice has been offered in this thread:

be really conscious about how a bag that you are jonesing for will meet your needs/complement your style/fill a hole in your current collection;

prolong the "hunt" by searching for great deals/hard to find items;

use your d$mn bags! Yes, they are beautiful, but they are going to look even more beautiful on your arm or your shoulder than on the closet shelf;

shop in your own closet (this helps me, at times). I spread out all of my bags on the bed, model them for DH (I'm sure that he just loves this--sarcasm), then, pick 2-3 for the upcoming week.

Good luck! We feel pain!

Practice tough love...rip the tag off and force yourself to take her out for the day tomorrow. Once you use her and she doesn't crumble, you'll see that even pretty bags are meant to be worn and adored in equal measure!!

I totally agree! But, if you would like, I can come right over and be your "mannequin for the day." You choose the handbag you want to adore for the day and I will wear it for you!:nuts: That way, you get to admire her from afar, like you do now, and I get to wear her and get all the compliments!

No, but seriously italiahaircolor, I adore my bags too. I don't have a money tree in the yard, so I really treasure mine; I have become a Coach "connoisseur" just because I want them to last forever and have the best care and maintenance. But I do ENJOY them. You need to think about life and how fragile we are and think about how much you will enjoy her NOW when you go places with her. If you think you can sell/return her with no pain, then you shouldn't buy her, unless you are doing it to make a profit?? But if you would like to carry her and something in your heart is stopping you, then "rip that band-aid off" and cut the tags to your favorite and just go out with her. Have someone take your picture and post it in the "Coach in Action" thread and see how that makes you feel. Anyway, you are not alone. Everyone feels differently about their handbags and we understand. That what we are here for... :hugs:

I feel the same way (lovecoachmore - my husband is the same way too so he doesn't make me feel guilty about it). I do LOVE the thrill of the hunt getting the bag(s) at a steal. My problem is I don't let them go, so it just accumulates.

Sometimes I hate myself for it.

Look over the bags in question. If you can look at a bag and say I love this bag, it will look so great with _________, I cannot wait to carry it, then rip off the tag and wear it. But if you look at a bag and DON'T feel that way; if you look at it and think this was a great deal, or everyone wants this bag and I have it, etc. they run to the store to return it. If you are really afraid that a bag is too fragile for your lifestyle then return it. Own what you can enjoy. If it's making you feel guilty or anxious get it out of your life. Of course this is just my opinion.

First of all, you have to get over the idea that it's a "collection"...it's not. They're just handbags. Most of them aren't going to appreciate in value...as you pointed out, they only depreciate in value over time thanks to the outlets.

Second, it's a handbag. If you aren't going to carry it, it's kind of pointless to own. Return what you aren't using.

Third, it's a handbag...like clothing and shoes, it's suppose to wear out and be replaced over time. Plus, like all fashion, handbags go in and out of style. If you love the bag use it, enjoy it without thinking about scuffing it up.

Finally, if that isn't enough, take an inventory of all the bags you have sitting in your closet and add up all the money you have tied up in handbags that will never see the light of day. Think about all the things you could be doing with that money--buying things for your kids, paying down your car loan/ home loan, credit cards, taking your spouse out to dinner, or taking a vacation. If that doesn't motivate you to return what you aren't using I don't know what will!

I ended last year by cleaning out my closet--any bag that was more than a week old and still had a tag went back. I ended up returning 3 bags and getting over $1K back!

I have not purchased a new bag in 2010, which is unheard of for me! Instead, I'm using the bags I already own and saving loads of money for other things.

Good luck!!

^^^ Good advice.

I don't really do that anymore. I used to. I found that if it was something I really wanted and loved, I would be wearing for sure. Now, I buy only if I know it'll be used. I have to confess I buy charms and ponytails just to look what, which is bad :shame:

First of all, you have to get over the idea that it's a "collection"...it's not. They're just handbags. Most of them aren't going to appreciate in value...as you pointed out, they only depreciate in value over time thanks to the outlets.

Second, it's a handbag. If you aren't going to carry it, it's kind of pointless to own. Return what you aren't using.

Third, it's a handbag...like clothing and shoes, it's suppose to wear out and be replaced over time. Plus, like all fashion, handbags go in and out of style. If you love the bag use it, enjoy it without thinking about scuffing it up.

Finally, if that isn't enough, take an inventory of all the bags you have sitting in your closet and add up all the money you have tied up in handbags that will never see the light of day. Think about all the things you could be doing with that money--buying things for your kids, paying down your car loan/ home loan, credit cards, taking your spouse out to dinner, or taking a vacation. If that doesn't motivate you to return what you aren't using I don't know what will!

I ended last year by cleaning out my closet--any bag that was more than a week old and still had a tag went back. I ended up returning 3 bags and getting over $1K back!

I have not purchased a new bag in 2010, which is unheard of for me! Instead, I'm using the bags I already own and saving loads of money for other things.

Good luck!!

Thank you! You said everything that I had in my mind.

We've been in our house for 5 years and hubby has always wanted to get a nice surround sound system, but I always had the excuse that we didn't have the money for it (forget the fact that I had money for lots of bags and accessories!). So I finally sold some of my bags and accessories that I rarely use and made enough money to get a nice surround system with blue ray player and we upgraded our DVR player. It was nice knowing that things that weren't being used were sold to fund something that both hubby and I could both enjoy.

I don't have much storage space so if I'm not using a bag or anything else, I give it away to a friend or charity (I haven't had anything good enough to sell up until now).

I really have to think before I buy anything new due to this space issue, because I'll have to give up something else to make room for it. I tend to go back and look at something a few times to make sure I really want it, and by the time I make up my mind it's out of the store and there are other choices!

I can see that if I really, really loved a particular bag I might display it on my bookshelf and never use it though.