Coach Scanned Catalogs - DVD

The copyright problem is probably because he's selling unauthorized copies of Coach's photos and graphics and not the original media. Selling actual catalogs is ok but scanned photos is more of a gray area. Think of it as selling a legally-bought music cd or movie dvd on Ebay versus a home-made copy of the same media. The first is ok, the second definitely isn't.

Thanks for the explanation. By doing it this way, he is able to retain the originals and sell unlimited copies.

How many times can this seller list this without being banned?

He's been doing it for years. When he gets listings removed he just sits on them for a while until they're safe to list again.

And yes, it's a copyright violation. But unfortunately the only other alternative is to spend a small - or not-so-small - fortune buying actual copies of old catalogs, since Coach doesn't make any of their old catalogs or records public. They couldn't even be bothered to keep the original Drilldown available.

In this DMCA-obsessed age, I have very little sympathy for anyone who illegally downloads massive volumes of protected media, but I can empathise with someone who's desperately trying to find and obtain one or two Holy Grails that just aren't available any other way. And I wouldn't put it in the same catagory as buying a fake bag. JMO, of course.

The last time it got yanked was years ago.

It is a shame that Coach does not keep their archives on line. And messing around with wayback is a total PITA.
Yep, had I known I wouldn't have put him on blast, meanwhile others are selling the catalogs for $15 each, again small fortune to just research the item you love....I guess I'll have to raid someone's attic......

You didn't get to buy it?

Nope, it was removed, which by the way is kind of scary, lately when I have posted here about authenticity, I go back to eBay to find the listing removed. In one case, the item was authentic and then the seller re-listed with a much higher bidding price.....I had won and then before I paid I had it authenticated...go back to pay, eBay removes the item. Wonder who's stalking the board as their full time job.....

Nope, it was removed, which by the way is kind of scary, lately when I have posted here about authenticity, I go back to eBay to find the listing removed. In one case, the item was authentic and then the seller re-listed with a much higher bidding price.....I had won and then before I paid I had it authenticated...go back to pay, eBay removes the item. Wonder who's stalking the board as their full time job.....

That is kind of scary. I just had an item removed that I had already paid for and in that case, ebay tells you just to wait until you get the item. It makes me nervous because if it isn't authentic, the seller has time to close his paypal account to keep me from getting refunded.

I know ebay is stalking the forum because almost everything that gets posted in the Hall of Shame gets removed within hours. Then one time, they didn't remove an item I had posted in the Hall of Shame until I asked for confirmation in the Authenticate thread and made a comment about how sellers with high feedback seem to get a free pass to list counterfeits.

That is kind of scary. I just had an item removed that I had already paid for and in that case, ebay tells you just to wait until you get the item. It makes me nervous because if it isn't authentic, the seller has time to close his paypal account to keep me from getting refunded.

I know ebay is stalking the forum because almost everything that gets posted in the Hall of Shame gets removed within hours. Then one time, they didn't remove an item I had posted in the Hall of Shame until I asked for confirmation in the Authenticate thread and made a comment about how sellers with high feedback seem to get a free pass to list counterfeits.
That is why I search here sometimes for my own name, being a seller myself :roflmfao: trying to make sure I'm crossing my "tees" and dotting my "eyes" :smile: