Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

That’s interesting. At one point I had not been inside a Coach store in forever. After taking a deep dive into vintage Coach a ways back, I found tPF and was seeing all the chat on new styles too. It made me curious and I started going to the two local stores regularly. I have gotten hang tags and like to check out the fobs and wallets. Many of the younger employees noticed I was carrying vintage and were extremely interested, often asking, “can we see what the inside looks like?” But there is a manager of one store who is my age an she can smell that I’m not going to make a full price purchase and is really icy toward me!
Once I went in and a young associate had just purchased a copy of “Coach, Story of NY Cool” from Coach just before it went out of stock and she whipped it out on the counter and let me page through it!
I have more non-vintage Coach than vintage. I've bought a few items at the boutiques. I don't have a local store anymore. I consider Las Vegas to be my store as the only time I ever go to one is when we are in Las Vegas. I haven't seen anything I really want in a full priced store in a few years. The SAs are always different every time I go.

It's been a while since I've found a bag I wanted to rehab. I came across this sad girl and boy did she perk up after a good spa day(s). The verdigris was so thick, it was like paste and it was in every nook within all the brass. She encapsulates "scars, scratches and veins". The hide has what I assume are barb wire marks (on the lower left on the backside) as well as veining under the flap. I think this is deepest rust color I have encountered and the patina is beautiful IMHO. She may lighten a bit as she just had an application of BR.

IMG_0809.jpgIMG_0810.jpgIMG_0846.jpgIMG_0848.jpg

I have a problem. Every time I rehab a bag, I develop "feelings" for it. I want it. This bag especially, even though I bought it for re-selling. It's called "rapport." Every time I touch it, I'm like: "This is SUCH a nice bag!"
I *so* relate! I too develop feelings for the bags I rehab and then when I end up selling ones that just don't work for me, I feel sadness and a bit of grief.

I recently bought my first vintage coach piece, and safe to say I am obsessed and my shopping list immediately grew. I want to try my hand at rehabbing old bags, but am not sure how difficult something like this could be? Would it be hard to get out the stains pictured with just the dunk and condition? Just trying to assess what’s possible for a beginner!

I recently bought my first vintage coach piece, and safe to say I am obsessed and my shopping list immediately grew. I want to try my hand at rehabbing old bags, but am not sure how difficult something like this could be? Would it be hard to get out the stains pictured with just the dunk and condition? Just trying to assess what’s possible for a beginner!
The duffle sacks are great, you love it. I’ve never seen a ring like that before. Have you asked them if they know how that got there?

The duffle sacks are great, you love it. I’ve never seen a ring like that before. Have you asked them if they know how that got there?
I’m waiting for a reply, but not hopeful. The seller has two others and I’m tempted to bid but I don’t know how to assess how realistic these projects are. I’m also just super new to handbags and the used market in general so I’m still figuring these things out (like, beware of smells or torn pieces or mold?)

Last edited:
Reactions: vintagecoachuk
I’m waiting for a reply, but not hopeful. The seller has two others and I’m tempted to bid but I don’t know how to assess how realistic these projects are. I’m also just super new to handbags and the used market in general so I’m still figuring these things out (like, beware of smells or torn pieces or mold?)
I think because the quality of Coach vintage leather is so good that it’s generally really lovely to work with and even pieces which look like they’re ready for the bin can look like they’re ready for the ball with some love and tlc. It’s super personal and trial and error is the only way to really know what will suit your needs and that you’ll fall in love with. Bags I thought I would love, I haven’t used and bags I bought to test my rehab skills, I’ve just fallen for.

I went through decades of rehab advice on here. They’ve been a God send :idea:

To me it looks like there was a spot there they tried to clean and that lightened the leather, so then they took a sharpie and drew two circles around it to make it look like it was on purpose. If it's sharpie, it is permanent.

Thank you for your encouragement! I’m going to keep an eye out and try to get a bag I can rehab.
I think because the quality of Coach vintage leather is so good that it’s generally really lovely to work with and even pieces which look like they’re ready for the bin can look like they’re ready for the ball with some love and tlc. It’s super personal and trial and error is the only way to really know what will suit your needs and that you’ll fall in love with. Bags I thought I would love, I haven’t used and bags I bought to test my rehab skills, I’ve just fallen for.

To me it looks like there was a spot there they tried to clean and that lightened the leather, so then they took a sharpie and drew two circles around it to make it look like it was on purpose. If it's sharpie, it is permanent.
Oh this is amazing insight! I guess this means to watch for ink stains if I want to rehab something to look more new.

I am in a total awe...the vintage are....I am unable to describe...they have a softness to the leather and all the designs are so excellent and really...
I do have words...