Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

Here’s how the rehab on the Saddle bag went.

Ashamed to admit, it totally broke my bag ban. 4 more purchased and on the way after her.

8D726FFD-C05D-475F-9AA2-8BFD35B105FC.jpeg

Here’s how the rehab on the Saddle bag went.

Ashamed to admit, it totally broke my bag ban. 4 more purchased and on the way after her.

View attachment 5439690

What a beauty!!! :heart:

The stitching on my Camel(?) colored Sonoma still looks dark in some places. I've applied Dawn directly to a toothbrush and gently scrubbed, but don't want to break or compromise the threads. So far it's had 2 dunks and 1 trip thru the wash machine so I know it's clean. Could the discoloration be something like body oil build up or general use type discoloration? My next effort is to apply OxiClean stain remover to a toothbrush and scrub the threads again before throwing it back into the wash machine. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve the looks of the stitching?

Is the dark stitching located somewhere on the bag that would have been touched a lot, like the handles? In that case it might be body oil.

I've never used Saddle Soap for rehabs but I recently saw info about someone with a light bag that had dirty corners and spots and SS did a great job removing the ugly areas. I don't know if it will work on your Sonoma, but remember to first test new products in an obscure area. Good luck!

Is the dark stitching located somewhere on the bag that would have been touched a lot, like the handles? In that case it might be body oil.

I've never used Saddle Soap for rehabs but I recently saw info about someone with a light bag that had dirty corners and spots and SS did a great job removing the ugly areas. I don't know if it will work on your Sonoma, but remember to first test new products in an obscure area. Good luck!
After 2 dunks in Dawn and 2 trips through the wash machine (one after scrubbing w/OxiClean) it looks so much better. There is still some thread darkening, but nothing like it started with. After all of that, it is likely body oil because the worst was where a person would reach into the outside pockets and the bag and where the handles attached to the bag. I think I can live with what's left unless I give the SS a try - thanks for that tip.
Now the concern is how much more scrubbing can be done and not compromise the stability of the stitching and the leather finish. Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead. :wondering:

After 2 dunks in Dawn and 2 trips through the wash machine (one after scrubbing w/OxiClean) it looks so much better. There is still some thread darkening, but nothing like it started with. After all of that, it is likely body oil because the worst was where a person would reach into the outside pockets and the bag and where the handles attached to the bag. I think I can live with what's left unless I give the SS a try - thanks for that tip.
Now the concern is how much more scrubbing can be done and not compromise the stability of the stitching and the leather finish. Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead. :wondering:

There have been times when I should have stopped but I kept going and made it worse. There have also been times when I was dissatisfied and kept going and made it better - so it's hard to know what to do in these situations.

I usually ask myself "are you comfortable carrying this bag in the current condition?" If the answer is "yes" then it's time to stop, but if the answer is "no" then I should probably keep working on making it better. Either way, it's always a risk!