Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

It is probably considered a travesty to alter a rare vintage bag, but has anyone given thought to lengthening an attached strap? :nuts:

I have 3 Kimballs I love whose straps are short for crossbody wear and I don't want to part with them. Two are rare colours (sapphire and jade) and the third is red. The Kimballs have the rolled, sewn on straps. I presume the extensions would have to be at the center point... like adding a few inches of Coach's gold coloured chain strap?

Any thoughts?
View attachment 5075763

View attachment 5075764
I hate altering a bag, especially if I feel it is rare. I don't have a solution, just that whatever you do should either look professional or have the ability to be reversed to the original state.

I hate altering a bag, especially if I feel it is rare. I don't have a solution, just that whatever you do should either look professional or have the ability to be reversed to the original state.

I agree that if anything is done it must be by a very competent professional. I am just throwing the idea around right now and appreciate any and all the feedback! :hugs:

Pulley is finished unless I give her another coat of Blackrock in a few days. I feel like I can't get her hydrated enough. She has 4 coats of CPR and one coat of BR. Looking so much better though. I am happy I saved her from whatever pile she was sitting in. She has a few strings I would have already snipped off my other bags, but I can't bring myself to take the scissors to her.

Before
View attachment 5075590
View attachment 5075591

After
View attachment 5075592View attachment 5075593View attachment 5075594

It looks lovely, but when I am trying to rehydrate a dry bag I usually use Leather Therapy Restorer & Conditioner. I usually buy the 16 oz bottle but the link below is for an 8 oz bottle, if case you are interested in trying it out.

It looks lovely, but when I am trying to rehydrate a dry bag I usually use Leather Therapy Restorer & Conditioner. I usually buy the 16 oz bottle but the link below is for an 8 oz bottle, if case you are interested in trying it out.

Thank you! I haven't tried Leather Therapy yet. I'm thinking I might have seen this when I buy CPR at tractor supply. Do you use it alone, or in combination with other products? I feel like I have to support BR no matter what since it's from here in TN, but I would like to try some other products.

Thank you! I haven't tried Leather Therapy yet. I'm thinking I might have seen this when I buy CPR at tractor supply. Do you use it alone, or in combination with other products? I feel like I have to support BR no matter what since it's from here in TN, but I would like to try some other products.

Oh awesome, they do have this in stock at Tractor Supply. I will definitely get some next time I go in. Thanks for the tip!

Usually in combination. I often use the Leather Therapy first, sometimes while the bag is still damp. It has an odor but it's not nasty and it dissipates soon. Next I may use Leather CPR and then finally finish with BlackRocks.

I think that BlackRocks is fabulous for evening out the color, hiding flaws, and giving the bag a nice finish; but I don't think it is the best for moisturizing. Leather CPR is my general, all-purpose conditioner but I often use Leather Therapy on very dry or damaged bags and sometimes on pebbled leather because it's an oil and I find it easier to work with then creamy or thick products for some bags.

Last edited:
Thank you for the idea, but I don't want to damage the leather by stretching it. I've been playing with my red Kimball and a Coach chain strap. Perhaps a new trend is about to be born! :lol:

Yea, I figured lol. I have the opposite problem! I tie a knot in my scooter’s strap when I wanna carry it because it’s too long for me haha. Good luck, I hope you find a solution that works for you :smile:

It is probably considered a travesty to alter a rare vintage bag, but has anyone given thought to lengthening an attached strap? :nuts:

I have 3 Kimballs I love whose straps are short for crossbody wear and I don't want to part with them. Two are rare colours (sapphire and jade) and the third is red. The Kimballs have the rolled, sewn on straps. I presume the extensions would have to be at the center point... like adding a few inches of Coach's gold coloured chain strap?

Any thoughts?
View attachment 5075763

View attachment 5075764

It's your bag and of course you can do what you want to with it, but personally I wouldn't alter a rare, vintage, designer bag. I'd probably look for a different bag that better fits my needs; but in response to your question about attaching a strap extender in the middle of the strap, I think that would make it uncomfortable on your shoulder.

I have seen clip-on/buckle-on strap extenders that attach to one end of the strap, like the one at the link below. Of course this specific extender is designed for a removable strap, not a sewn-on strap, but perhaps a good leather worker could devise something similar for your bag.

I once bought a black Carly bag (that I still haven't rehabbed!) that included an unusual strap extender. Someone had added a double-ended brass clip to one end of the strap to give it a few extra inches - see pic below. I don't know if this was the best solution but the good news is that it didn't damage the bag.

CarlyBlackBefore_001.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my current collection of Coach Scooter Bags 3893! The colors (L-R) are: Navy, Red, British Tan, and Bottle Green and they were all made in the USA in the early 1990s.

I bought the first one (British Tan) in 2011 and I've spent a total of $80 for all 4 bags. I have previously posted photos of my British Tan and Bottle Green Scooters but I will post before and after pics of my recent navy and red rehabs next.

As mentioned before, my interest in Scooters was reawakened by this recent Marie Clare article about the joys of carrying a vintage red Scooter during a pandemic:

https://www.marieclaire.com/fashion/a32655541/vintage-coach-purse-review/

View attachment 4804648

View attachment 4804649
Hi there! Your purses look amazing! May I know what color and brand of paint you were used to restoring the green one? Thank you!

Reactions: Jacynthe
Hi there! Your purses look amazing! May I know what color and brand of paint you were used to restoring the green one? Thank you!

Thank you! I didn't use paint on any of my scooter bags. Basically, I just gave them a bath, shaped them during drying, conditioned, buffed, and polished the hardware; see link below:

I usually try not to use paints when possible because they can be tricky and (when necessesary) mixing colors is difficult. If I really do need to use a paint, like for touching up missing edging on a bag strap, I use acryllic paint from the craft store. Usually just a small amount mixed with leather conditioner.

What are the specific issues with the green bag you want to rehab with paint? Perhaps some of the rehabbers here can advise you.

Thank you! I didn't use paint on any of my scooter bags. Basically, I just gave them a bath, shaped them during drying, conditioned, buffed, and polished the hardware; see link below:

I usually try not to use paints when possible because they can be tricky and (when necessesary) mixing colors is difficult. If I really do need to use a paint, like for touching up missing edging on a bag strap, I use acryllic paint from the craft store. Usually just a small amount mixed with leather conditioner.

What are the specific issues with the green bag you want to rehab with paint? Perhaps some of the rehabbers here can advise you.
Thank you so much for your reply! I'm kinda new to this field, I will post photos of my purse in a new post.

Reactions: Jacynthe and katev
It's your bag and you can do what you want to it but personally I wouldn't alter a rare, vintage, designer bag. I'd probably look for a different bag that better fits my needs; but in response to your question about attaching a strap extender in the middle of the strap, I think that would make it uncomfortable on your shoulder.

I have seen clip-on/buckle-on strap extenders that attach to one end of the strap, like the one at the link below. Of course this specific extender is designed for a removable strap, not a sewn-on strap, but perhaps a good leather worker could devise something similar for your bag.

I once bought a black Carly bag (that I still haven't rehabbed!) that included an non-orthodox strap extender. Someone had added a double-ended brass clip to one end of the strap to give it a few extra inches - see pic below. I don't know if this was the best solution but the good news is that it didn't damage the bag.

View attachment 5075973

Thanks very much for the feedback. It's been very helpful. :hugs:

I think I'll do an outing with it carried crossbody and see if I can adapt to it sitting a bit higher than I'm used to. :smile: