Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

Post 1 of 2:

I received my courier pouch on Wednesday. I dunked it right away & left it to dry. I wasn’t able to do any CPR coats because I was planning on dying the bag & I needed to make sure the bag was as un-moisturized as possible so that the dye would adhere properly. It dried very quickly & I was able to do my 99% rubbing alcohol wipe downs within a day or so (to help remove excess oils from the grain) here is the before & after of the dunk:

View attachment 5059958View attachment 5059959
View attachment 5059961

After:
View attachment 5059962View attachment 5059963View attachment 5059973View attachment 5059974

Not bad for a dunk with no CPR & Renapur! Now the main issue was the lack of strap! I knew I would never find one that matched so that’s where the dye job came in! Continued in post 2...
Post 2 of 2:

So the dye I purchased was professional grade. The company’s website is leathertouchupdye.com. They have dyes for every type of leather product. I emailed the company & they were more than happy to help me choose the right product & even gave me a detailed explanation on how to go about dying the bag. The dye wasn’t cheap, I paid $150 cad in total :faint: , but it was WORTH IT.

Pros:
-super easy to do, I felt like a dye pro by the end of the project lol :coolio:

-they give you everything you need. You don’t have to buy a separate sealer & you prep the bag with 99% rubbing alcohol & the leather cleaner they provide in the kit

-you can’t tell the bag is dyed unless you look inside (I didn’t dye the suede because I didn’t wanna ruin the texture). All the coats (I did 4) applied beautifully & there was no streaking. You can still see the leather pores & the scars/scratches that the bag originally had!

Cons:
-Cost, very expensive! I wish the dye was less costly so I could do more dye projects. For me the cost of this project was justified because BABY. COURIER.

-Time it takes. It took me 8 hours to dye the bag. I used a heat gun to dry the dye in between coats so I could finish faster. My back ached from being hunched over in the same position for so long!

Anyways, Im SO happy with how my baby courier turned out! Thank you SO MUCH @Morgan_Bellini for giving me this bag, I can’t stop staring at it! I have a black baby courier now & it’s all thanks to you!!!! :hbeat: Special thank you to our amazing leather crafter, @LunaSilver, for making me a custom fit strap. It’s still on it’s way to me so for the time being, I’ve added my Legacy slim duffle’s strap (its the same size as a rambler’s legacy strap) but it’s a little snug & the buckles scratch the piping. Seriously, you both have made me so freaking happy! :hugs:The baby courier is hands down my favourite vintage coach bag out of my entire collection! I love it & Imma carry this thing til Im an old lady lmao

Before dye job:
View attachment 5060041View attachment 5060044View attachment 5060045

After dye job:
View attachment 5060047View attachment 5060048View attachment 5060049View attachment 5060050View attachment 5060051View attachment 5060052View attachment 5060053
Ignore my outfit- it’s the WFH life lol :lol:
My head just exploded...really @Coachaddict4020 , wow,

Omg Dettol?! I’ve always hated the smell of that stuff lol! :lol: Can you smell it on the fabric afterwards?
I can't smell it on the fabric afterwards. I like the smell anyway because I'm used to it - I use it to wipe down my phone, keys and other surfaces etc almost every day and it's easy to use on the fabric. I currently only have around five fabric-lined bags - two bought preloved - and none have any stains (yet) so I just spray some on some cotton wool and wipe them superficially. However, I've decided to prioritise adding unlined or leather-lined bags to my collection now as they are easier to deal with and I like the feel of them! Haha xx

Hello,

I regularly use the authentication portion of this forum. However, I seldom use this forum, so I hope my format is correct.

I recently purchased a Coach Madison Sutton (4410). The care card was inside the bag and states not to use Coach cleaner nor conditioner. It states to clean with soap and water. My question, how do you clean the inside? The inside of the bag is very clean - no stains. But this is a used bag so how do I sanitize the interior? Thank you.
I use a mild (non-bleach) spray cleaner. It's a kind they sell at the dollar store that you dilute with water. Don't use acetone on this lining - it causes it to melt and disintegrate.

What do you think guys? Shoe polished at all? Looks good to me but what on earth would I know? Haha!

Probably not. This is a seller that gets their stuff from thrift stores so it could always have something on it used by a previous owner. Some people have had problems with that seller. I have no personal experience with him.

Dear Rehab Experts, I had an unfortunate coffee spill inside my pretty unicorn tote. Can I safely dunk this heavy canvas bag and not affect the sparkle stars? I’m thinking Dawn and lukewarm water? A couple of quick dunks, and only the coffee stain parts.
I just finished a fun and easy rehab! Many of you already know that one of my favorite reasons for rehabbing bags is that sometimes I have the opportunity to indulge myself with fun, frivolous, and impractical bags that I probably wouldn't buy retail because there won't be many opportunities to use them - and that's what this rehab is all about!

For only $30 I bought the Audrey Cinched Tote Sun Motif 19977 that was released in 2012 for $358. The bag was very dirty and had some nasty stains inside and out and the grip portion of the gold metallic handles were a bit worn, but the bag was intact and it still had both of the original hangtags.

See below for the before and after pictures. It was very grubby, especially the bottom, corners, handles, the lining, and in all the "high-touch" areas. I gave it a sink bath with Dawn and I scrubbed it very thoroughly and was happy that the stains came out easily. There are some stray ink marks inside the inner zip pocket that I was only able to lighten but not eliminate.

I stuffed the bag and let it dry and then treated the leather surfaces with Leather CPR. I used gold metallic paint to touch up the handle grips and I polished the gold hardware. I decided that this bag didn't already have enough bling so I decorated it with my Shells fob; that's all there was to it and now she's just in time for Summer!

Here are the Before and After pictures, I plan to spray the bag with Apple Garde to help keep her clean; what a fun and beautiful tote!

Audrey Cinched Tote Sun Motif, 19977 (2012) Before:
View attachment 4744100

View attachment 4744101

View attachment 4744102

View attachment 4744103

View attachment 4744104

Audrey Cinched Tote Sun Motif, 19977 (2012) After:
View attachment 4744110

View attachment 4744111

View attachment 4744112

View attachment 4744114

View attachment 4744115
I am super amazed at how well this beautiful bag has been restored! You’ve done a wonderful job, katev! It’s just gorgeous. I can’t believe the sequins all hung on through a wash, even by hand.

I have done a lot of painting but never on leather. The handles look really good. Did you apply the gold paint with a brush or sponge?

The shells charm is so cute. I wish I had bought one at the time. I remember it well.

You look like you’re all set for summer with your gorgeous summer bags and accessories!

Reactions: pammbw and LadaZuri
Dear Rehab Experts, I had an unfortunate coffee spill inside my pretty unicorn tote. Can I safely dunk this heavy canvas bag and not affect the sparkle stars? I’m thinking Dawn and lukewarm water? A couple of quick dunks, and only the coffee stain parts.

I am super amazed at how well this beautiful bag has been restored! You’ve done a wonderful job, katev! It’s just gorgeous. I can’t believe the sequins all hung on through a wash, even by hand.

I have done a lot of painting but never on leather. The handles look really good. Did you apply the gold paint with a brush or sponge?

The shells charm is so cute. I wish I had bought one at the time. I remember it well.

You look like you’re all set for summer with your gorgeous summer bags and accessories!

Thanks! I am pretty sure that I used a brush to apply the gold paint to the handles.

I have some experience with coach canvas bags have rehabbed very well and survived dunking without problems. Of course when the bag has sparkly decorations that can be worrisome, but I know that my Audrey Sun Motif bag got more than a few quick dunks. It was really dirty and I had to soak and scrub - especially the bottom and the corners - and it held up very well.

Below is the link for a Bleecker Canvas bag that I rehabbed several years ago. It wasn't sparkly and it didn't have sequins but it was badly stained with red wine. I tried being gentle and eventually had to get tough to finally get the stains out - including 2 trips through the washer!

When I am deciding if I should take harsher measures to try and clean a bag, I usually ask myself "would I wear it in the current condition?" if the answer is "No" then I figure that I might as well take the risk. Of course that gets harder to do when the bag is rare and/or expensive.

Not all of my rehabs work out but I wish good luck with your Unicorn Tote!

Last edited:
Thanks! I am pretty sure that I used a brush to apply the gold paint to the handles.

I have some experience with coach canvas bags have rehabbed very well and survived dunking without problems. Of course when the bag has sparkly decorations that can be worrisome, but I know that my Audrey Sun Motif bag got more than a few quick dunks. It was really dirty and I had to soak and scrub - especially the bottom and the corners - and it held up very well.

Below is the link for a Bleecker Canvas bag that I rehabbed several years. It wasn't sparkly and it didn't have sequins but it was badly stained with red wine. I tried being gentle and eventually had to get tough to finally get the stains out - including 2 trips through the washer!

When I am deciding if I should take harsher measures to try and clean a bag, I usually ask myself "would I wear it in the current condition?" if the answer is "No" then I figure that I might as well take the risk. Of course that gets harder to do when the bag is rare and/or expensive.

Not all of my rehabs work out but good luck with your Unicorn Tote!

Wow! I cannot believe you tackled the red wine stain! That’s awesome! I have to say, Coach bags are pretty tough — the cleaning and scrubbing and soaking — and they still come out looking so good!

I will give my tote a good dunking and a scrub and see what happens.
8A349213-A987-403D-805F-883EDD87698A.jpegCB3B6041-0BEE-4B3B-8C38-A973F4EC09C2.jpeg
The front is fine. But you can see on the back there’s this dark stain from my coffee. I didn’t screw the lid on properly so it poured out through my lunch bag, the tote and the back seat of the car!

Wow! I cannot believe you tackled the red wine stain! That’s awesome! I have to say, Coach bags are pretty tough — the cleaning and scrubbing and soaking — and they still come out looking so good!

I will give my tote a good dunking and a scrub and see what happens.
View attachment 5072951View attachment 5072952
The front is fine. But you can see on the back there’s this dark stain from my coffee. I didn’t screw the lid on properly so it poured out through my lunch bag, the tote and the back seat of the car!

I only paid $12 for the Bleecker so that made it easier to take a chance on rehabbing it.

Your cute tote doesn't look bad so just a gentle bath may be all that it needs. Please let us know how it works out; good luck!

I only paid $12 for the Bleecker so that made it easier to take a chance on rehabbing it.

Your cute tote doesn't look bad so just a gentle bath may be all that it needs. Please let us know how it works out; good luck!
Thank you, katev, for all your help, and for sharing your wisdom and experience. We really benefit from your knowledge! I will update you on my bag when I get a chance to wash it this week.

What do you think guys? Shoe polished at all? Looks good to me but what on earth would I know? Haha!

Doesn't look shiny or waxy so that's a good sign.