Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

I imagine it would cost a fortune! Once I asked a guy about replacing a zipper in a basic bag. The brass zipper was $35 and the labor was $70, IIRC.
There is a wide range how leather workers price their work. I am in a leather worker’s private Facebook group ( for learning, the folks there are very helpful in answering questions, or sharing their knowledge). Many times I saw the price of sold products showing to the group, and wondering how someone will pay that much. For example. $350 for a nicely tooled sheath (for a medium size knife), it is a nice sheath with good stitching and tooling, but $350 is a lot for a small sheath. While some other guy only charge $20 for a similar sheath with no tooling.

Let myself down by being optimistic. Nothing really changed and it only got worse. Piping and handle are parched, weird small brown specks, and the worst thing is it completely REEKS of the Renomat! Stinking up my bedroom and I don't want to put it in the boiler room to speed up the drying (hoping the smell will leave by way of evaporation or something) because our freshly washed clothes are in there. Think I'll put it on my window sill above the radiator and then leave it outside tomorrow. We're supposed to have some sun. Sigh!!! So much £ wasted.
Sorry to hear that. I only used Renomat to clean stain marks, never on a large area not mention whole bag, so the smell never bothered me as it disappeared fairly quick, I only used a little bit each time. ( it removed stain marks sometimes, sometimes just lighten them a little).

Sorry to hear that. I only used Renomat to clean stain marks, never on a large area not mention whole bag, so the smell never bothered me as it disappeared fairly quick, I only used a little bit each time. ( it removed stain marks sometimes, sometimes just lighten them a little).
Thanks. I've either gotten used to the smell or it's fading as it dries but I can still see the layer of polish over the whole bag. The only progress made is the leather pores are finally visible but overall the bag still has the matte look of polish. Whoever did it used tough stuff because I really went in on the bag. Half a bottle of Renomat and half a cup of Fairy. It's just super dry now and I'm slathering conditioner on it yet the actual layer of shoe polish is still all over it!!! So infuriating! Removing everything but the actual polish!

I also tested the strap by rubbing it back and forth on an old tee and the colour transferred. At this point the whole experience has ultimately rendered it a very expensive unusable decorative piece which is super annoying. I feel so bummed.

@pammbw do you have photographs of your city? Maybe once mine's fully dried it'll be in better shape.

Thank you to everyone for putting up with my ranting about this nightmare, haha.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I decided to get a new to me bag that needs some TLC. I have had my eye on this style for some time and found one in red recently. It's the Hamptons Large Hobo from 2005. When I looked it up in the Wayback, it didn't show the red leather as an option so I'm wondering if it was a dept store exclusive? The leather on this bag feels like Costa Rican leather but made in China, I was surprised at how soft it felt! It really just needs some conditioning and shaping, it's in pretty good shape.
I'll post after pics after this weekend.
20210422_204822.jpg

It's been a while since I decided to get a new to me bag that needs some TLC. I have had my eye on this style for some time and found one in red recently. It's the Hamptons Large Hobo from 2005. When I looked it up in the Wayback, it didn't show the red leather as an option so I'm wondering if it was a dept store exclusive? The leather on this bag feels like Costa Rican leather but made in China, I was surprised at how soft it felt! It really just needs some conditioning and shaping, it's in pretty good shape.
I'll post after pics after this weekend.
View attachment 5063380
Iv often thought of getting one of these to see if I could handle a Gucci Jackie

Thanks. I've either gotten used to the smell or it's fading as it dries but I can still see the layer of polish over the whole bag. The only progress made is the leather pores are finally visible but overall the bag still has the matte look of polish. Whoever did it used tough stuff because I really went in on the bag. Half a bottle of Renomat and half a cup of Fairy. It's just super dry now and I'm slathering conditioner on it yet the actual layer of shoe polish is still all over it!!! So infuriating! Removing everything but the actual polish!

I also tested the strap by rubbing it back and forth on an old tee and the colour transferred. At this point the whole experience has ultimately rendered it a very expensive unusable decorative piece which is super annoying. I feel so bummed.

@pammbw do you have photographs of your city? Maybe once mine's fully dried it'll be in better shape.

Thank you to everyone for putting up with my ranting about this nightmare, haha.
I had to take time outs when working on my Rambler project. I would lovingly buff other favorite bags to keep me from doing anything drastic. :yes:

I have a question for all of you knowledgeable rehabbers. I am in the middle of my own shoe polished/painted mess of a bag. I have never done one of these before so not sure of the next step.
I bought a spectator city bag and had it authenticated here, but it's had lots of work done on it. Little did I know it had also had shoe polish or paint applied. Not sure which. It was shiny and stiffer and had a waxy feel to it, so I used CPR to try and soften it up. I saw some black color come off on the cloth. So I used guardsman leather cleaner, more color on the cloth. I moved up to acetone and lots more color on the cloth.
I figured the bag was trash anyway so I had nowhere to go but up and gave it a good once over with acetone. Sorry I was in a rehab zone and didn't get photos!
Then I dunked it. This is where it gets weird- it turned whitish and slimy in the water. I scrubbed with a microfiber cloth and the water was black. I thought I got all the shoe polish off. Rinsed twice.
Let it dry overnight and put CPR on it twice. I woke up to a still wet bag and still shiny. I got photos of this stage-

View attachment 5031468View attachment 5031469

Another round of acetone. Finally my question is- do I dunk again and start over or just let it keep drying and continue CPR?

If you have read this far I applaud you!! Thank you!!
The end result of my City Spectator Bag rehab. I have gone as far as I dare with this bag. I think I have removed almost all of the shoe polish, and the feel of the leather is much improved. No more stiffness or waxy feel. It is not a perfect bag but it looks like a 30 year old bag probably should look. I would carry it now, I just need to find a replacement turnlock for a good price.

Here are my posts about my City Bag and the photos. The bag is useable but not anything great. I may dunk again, because it's a trash bag anyway and experimenting and learning is always fun, lol! @americandreaming

Here are my posts about my City Bag and the photos. The bag is useable but not anything great. I may dunk again, because it's a trash bag anyway and experimenting and learning is always fun, lol! @americandreaming
Mine looks the same! Waxy and matte. I've been slathering conditioner on in the sun for hours. Me too, this will be the bag I just experiment on and beat up

The strap is still transferring colour and it's so thin it's hard to attack the same way so I won't bother with it unless I'm really bored one day. I'll just use another black strap for it if it ever turns out OK enough to use (ie no colour transfer) and I'll use it as a 'rough day' bag like maybe for long days out in the park where I would feel fine just sitting it on the ground and not baby it in my lap etc.

C46E94C4-122B-4A21-AAE5-B1B386656CA9.jpeg

Problem #1 and she's not even in the bath yet

I thought I would pull back the little cover and see how the leather and staples were holding up after all these years. Apparently she's had some issues :lol::tdown:20210423_143146.jpg

Trying to figure out where to go from here.

The leather isn't torn. The staples are just pulled out.

Should I :

A) put the staples back in the holes and try to clamp back down with my pliers

B) Do the above and also put a dab of glue so if the staples bend more easily now that I will have a bit of reinforcement?

C) New staples?

D) Some other solution I am not thinking of?

Any help appreciated, and I normally wouldn't do this but tagging some people for help, accepting opinions from anyone! @houseof999 @whateve @katev :panic:

Should also add the straps seem to be filled with the cardboard stuff. Should I even dunk the handles? I really don't want to ruin a metal tag bag.

Problem #1 and she's not even in the bath yet

I thought I would pull back the little cover and see how the leather and staples were holding up after all these years. Apparently she's had some issues :lol::tdown:View attachment 5063989

Trying to figure out where to go from here.

The leather isn't torn. The staples are just pulled out.

Should I :

A) put the staples back in the holes and try to clamp back down with my pliers

B) Do the above and also put a dab of glue so if the staples bend more easily now that I will have a bit of reinforcement?

C) New staples?

D) Some other solution I am not thinking of?

Any help appreciated, and I normally wouldn't do this but tagging some people for help, accepting opinions from anyone! @houseof999 @whateve @katev :panic:

Should also add the straps seem to be filled with the cardboard stuff. Should I even dunk the handles? I really don't want to ruin a metal tag bag.

I forgot to tag our resident leather worker @LunaSilver