Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

It looks loads better!
It looks so nice when it is wet.

I knowwwww. I’m so spent though. And the leather is in good shape now. It feels great. So I’m going to let it be although I’m still so curious about how it happened.

im at this point now:
How about consider the darkening as part of the bag's journey and history, and enjoy as is? There is a nicer word for it, patina! I don't think the bag looks too bad. If the bag is over 20 years old, I would say just vintage character....

It just took me one last go to get there..

If this happens to anyone else’s bag and you figure it out, please let me know! Ill certainly remember this one forever as an unsolved mystery.

Have you tried the healing balm on it? I was really hoping that would help with my bag’s surface damage... maybe because you applied it in between workings on the green duffel it helped, not after the fact?
Yeah - it was great on the green duffle! I have applied it on the red one and it makes the leather so soft and smushy and healthy looking. The dark spots are still dark but the leather looks so healthy!

Does anyone know much about the framed totes? Style 9998. I imagine dunking isn’t recommended with the metal snap frame inside. Does the frame hold up or has anyone seen problems with them in older bags? Thanks!
I’m still curious about this, if anyone has insight. I found one on PM and I’m wondering if I should entertain the idea of cleaning it up or if it’s not been snatched up for a reason.

Reactions: LadaZuri
I knowwwww. I’m so spent though. And the leather is in good shape now. It feels great. So I’m going to let it be although I’m still so curious about how it happened.

im at this point now:

It just took me one last go to get there..

If this happens to anyone else’s bag and you figure it out, please let me know! Ill certainly remember this one forever as an unsolved mystery.
So frustrating after all the time you put in. I'm sorry.
Hmmm. Did you apply during the process, same as the green duffle? Or anything different?

The red one has been different all around. First, there was all of the acetone to get the paint off. I rinsed and then used CPR and the balm on the bag to add moisture back in after the paint removal. After a few coats of conditioner and a couple of days, I gave it a proper bath and started working on all of the leftover spots - just like the green one. After each time I worked on it with a toothbrush and CPR, I applied some more CPR or healing balm to calm the leather. The leather surface looks great but it got reallllllllly dark after several scrubs. So, it went back in the bath today. It clearly had a lot of conditioner built up in the scrub areas because they wouldn't get wet until I wiped them with a softscrub sponge. Everything was looking nice and even after the bath. I put the first coat of CPR on about an hour later because this thing has had a rough time. Then a second about six hours later. Then a coat of chamberlains. The scrub spots were noticeably darker as the bag dried. So, that is how we got here. Leather looks good - no obvious abrasion - just dark.

Last edited:
So frustrating after all the time you put in. I'm sorry.

The red one has been different all around. First, there was all of the acetone to get the paint off. I rinsed and then used CPR and the balm on the bag to add moisture back in after the paint removal. After a few coats of conditioner and a couple of days, I gave it a proper bath and started working on all of the leftover spots - just like the green one. After each time I worked on it with a toothbrush and CPR, I applied some more CPR or healing balm to calm the leather. The leather surface looks great but it got reallllllllly dark after several scrubs. So, it went back in the bath today. It clearly had a lot of conditioner built up in the scrub areas because they wouldn't get wet until I wiped them with a softscrub sponge. Everything was looking nice and even after the bath. I put the first coat of CPR on about an hour later because this thing has had a rough time. Then a second about six hours later. Then a coat of chamberlains. The scrub spots were noticeably darker as the bag dried. So, that is how we got here. Leather looks good - no obvious abrasion - just dark.

Wow. What a journey! It may settle down in a bit and even out. It’s still beautiful even if it doesn’t!!

What was your process when you scrubbed your red one?
I don’t have chamberlains so I used CPR with a toothbrush and wiped off the excess. Then applied CPR and buffed a bit and let it rest. And repeated. Gave it two baths as well when the conditioner had built up a bit. The stains on the back diminished and it looks egret. No darkening there but I think from years of friction against the wearer, the surface was stronger on the back. I should’ve been more gentle with the front. It’s still dark on the front flap when it dries but beautiful and even while wet. I’m hoping that with a bit more conditioning or some healing balm it’ll bounce back. Just resting at the moment.

that one looks funny at the top. I had a smaller one of these and it wasn't all bent up like that. Maybe the big ones are more susceptible to folding. The fading won't go away with rehabbing.

View attachment 4836600
Oh, it’s too cute! Haha. Like an Easter egg waiting to be scooped up.

thanks for the tip on the tote. I wasn’t sure if it was supposed to be bent outwards like that. I think I could deal with the fading but the mechanism has to be sound.

I don’t have chamberlains so I used CPR with a toothbrush and wiped off the excess. Then applied CPR and buffed a bit and let it rest. And repeated. Gave it two baths as well when the conditioner had built up a bit. The stains on the back diminished and it looks egret. No darkening there but I think from years of friction against the wearer, the surface was stronger on the back. I should’ve been more gentle with the front. It’s still dark on the front flap when it dries but beautiful and even while wet. I’m hoping that with a bit more conditioning or some healing balm it’ll bounce back. Just resting at the moment.
We are in the same boat!

I’ve finished 2 rehabs in the last two weeks! First is a Made in New York City Crescent bag in Navy Blue.
Before:
2AE94793-CB98-4E15-AF9A-90963CBF6980.jpeg
After:
AD90E3CB-3398-492D-B087-E414ACC37455.jpeg
I really thought I would have to recolor the faded flap and strap, but the color came back after the bath and conditioning.

Second bag is also Made in New York City - a Tabac Collegiate bag.
Before:
39E2B45A-184B-4FE1-82E7-AEAD512EA851.jpeg3E3E8306-B314-4A61-9C9A-79A94911CC1F.jpeg
After:
62D2C268-97FF-4319-A6C2-9357A30EF6D7.jpegB4BBE686-D904-41D5-9A87-2BD72C963551.jpeg
I glued the corner back together, but decided not to cover with paint. I thought I’d have a hard time matching the tabac color.