Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

So here is the scoop!
rust Saddle back.jpgrust Saddle bottom.jpgrust Saddle front.jpgrust Saddle under flap.jpg
I haven't figured out how to maniputlate the order of my photos after I insert, but you see the before of my amazing Saddle Bag, Large in Rust. It has the little Coach cartouche that others have mentioned is likely mid '70s. It was a sweet deal on eBay, with over 40 watchers and somehow no one (except me) willing to pay over $100 for it. I won it at $93. These are the sellers photos that were very accurate. The big unknown was would the leather be the nice full weight, or would it be on the thin side. I was happy to find it was the nice, original full weight.
It was very clean outside and inside, except for what looked like a dried up, white piece of gum or candy that came out with no problem in the dunk. I gave it a thorough vacuum inside. I filled my kitchen sink with warm water and 1/2 ounce of Lexol Leather Cleaner (not Leather Therapy Leather Cleaner like I mentioned in a prior post). I put on disposable gloves as did not want to scratch this bag! For about 10 minutes I used a toothbrush over the inside suede and just ran my fingers on the smooth leather surface of the bag and strap. Usually I will dunk for 20 minutes and use my toothbrush on the smooth leather surface too. This is the oldest bag I have dunked and it already had a lot of color loss and wear. Since it was clean, given all the wear, I was okay with minimizing the soak time and contact.
I drained the water, rinsed the suds off and filled the sink with cool water and one cup of white vinegar (which I usually forget!), for about 5 minutes, running my hands over all the surfaces.
I let the water drain out of the sink and I let the bag drip dry for about 15 minutes upside down on the Lexol bottle. Then I put it flat on a big towel with a smaller towel inside. Since it was so worn/dry, after about an hour I put the first app of CPR , with my fingers wearing a glove. It was after dinner at this point. I let it lay flat. The next morning, I put another app of CPR on. It was starting to dry after just 12 hours. After dinner, I gently buffed with an old cotton t-shirt rag, very soft and then gave it a third app. At this point I hung it with shoestrings tied to the buckles with a small towel inside. It was mostly dry within 48 hours. The next day, more buffing and the 4th app of CPR after dinner. It was looking great. The strap got an additional app of CPR. On both the bag and strap, I was generous on the last two apps of CPR on the piping. I think I gave it a night off and the following night put on an app of Renapur. Which was just all tacky sticky with the warm weather. I tried to be a little light with it, but I wanted to thorough and not leave any spots undone and I ended up with what felt like a greased pig! I just took as much off as I could with a paper towel. It was all tacky wacky! I let it alone for 24 hours and then by this time I had found my brush and just took my time alternating between buffing with my cotton cloth and the brush and the tackiness dissipated.
And the result is . . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: Aku_no_Hana
So here is the scoop!
View attachment 4777572View attachment 4777573View attachment 4777574View attachment 4777575
I haven't figured out how to maniputlate the order of my photos after I insert, but you see the before of my amazing Saddle Bag, Large in Rust. It has the little Coach cartouche that others have mentioned is likely mid '70s. It was a sweet deal on eBay, with over 40 watchers and somehow no one (except me) willing to pay over $100 for it. I won it at $93. These are the sellers photos that were very accurate. The big unknown was would the leather be the nice full weight, or would it be on the thin side. I was happy to find it was the nice, original full weight.
It was very clean outside and inside, except for what looked like a dried up, white piece of gum or candy that came out with no problem in the dunk. I gave it a thorough vacuum inside. I filled my kitchen sink with warm water and 1/2 out of Lexol Leather Cleaner (not Leather Therapy Leather Cleaner like I mentioned in a prior post). I put on disposable gloves as did not want to scratch this bag! For about 10 minutes I used a toothbrush over the inside suede and just ran my fingers on the smooth leather surface of the bag and strap. Usually I will dunk for 20 minutes and use my toothbrush on the smooth leather surface too. This is the oldest bag I have dunked and it already had a lot of color loss and wear. Since it was clean, given all the wear, I was okay with minimizing the soak time and contact.
I drained the water, rinsed the suds off and filled the sink with cool water and one cup of white vinegar (which I usually forget!), for about 5 minutes, running my hands over all the surfaces.
I let the water drain out of the sink and I let the bag drip dry for about 15 minutes upside down on the Lexol bottle. Then I put it flat on a big towel with a smaller towel inside. Since it was so worn/dry, after about an hour I put the first app of CPR , with my fingers wearing a glove. It was after dinner at this point. I let it lay flat. The next morning, I put another app of CPR on. It was starting to dry after just 12 hours. After dinner, I gently buffed with an old cotton t-shirt rag, very soft and then gave it a third app. At this point I hung it with shoestrings tied to the buckles with a small towel inside. It was mostly dry within 48 hours. the next day, more buffing and the 4th app of CPR after dinner. It was looking great. The strap got an additional app of CPR. On both the bag and strap, I was generous on the last two apps of CPR on the piping. I think I gave it a night off and the following night put on an app of Renapur. Which was just all tacky sticky with the warm weather. I tried to be a little light with it, but I wanted to thorough and leave any spots undone and I ended up with what felt like a greased pig! I just took as much off as I could with a paper towel. It was tacky wacky. I let it alone for 24 hours and then by this time I had found my brush and just took my time alternating between buffing with my cotton cloth and the brush and the tackiness dissipated.
And the result is . . . .
And this is the after:
Rust Saddle back after outside.jpgRust Saddle bottom after.jpgrust Saddle cartouche.jpgRust Saddle front after outside.jpg
Rust Saddle under flap outside.jpg
I am just amazed at how much color came back on the flap and especially the piping. I knew it would be distressed, but I am just thrilled. It was a lucky combo on the wear, without any grime, funky stains, etc. The back piping that usually gets worn down from contact was in good shape. Thank goodness the prior owner must have hung it and not put it on the floor. A small pen mark on the front flap came out, and the long scratch is still visible, but I can live with that! I did more or less the same with my Letter Brief and that came out great too. Two Holy Grail bags in the matter of a few months, I'm still kinda in shock! I felt like I was taking a risk on the condition, but my gut told me the seller's pics were good and that at the least. It had been worn, but not completely abused or trashed. I figured at least it would look nice and distressed after some CPR and Renapur.
And it has been four years on my vintage Coach journey, but the wait was completely worth it :smile:
:flowers: to all here who post their processes, their wins, their misses and those who gab, support and hang out.
eta LOL I've been calling it my budget Pony Express :lol:

Last edited:
View attachment 4777601View attachment 4777602View attachment 4777603View attachment 4777604View attachment 4777605
And this is the after:
View attachment 4777601View attachment 4777602View attachment 4777603View attachment 4777604
View attachment 4777605
I am just amazed at how much color came back on the flap and especially the piping. I knew it would be distressed, but I am just thrilled. It was a lucky combo on the wear, without any grime, funky stains, etc. The back piping that usually gets worn down from contact was in good shape. Thank goodness the prior owner must have hung it and not put it on the floor. A small pen mark on the front flap came out, and the long scratch is still visible, but I can live with that! I did more or less the same with my Letter Brief and that came out great too. Two Holy Grail bags in the matter of a few months, I'm still kinda in shock! I felt like I was taking a risk on the condition, but my gut told me the seller's pics were good and that at the least. It had been worn, but not completely abused or trashed. I figured at least it would look nice and distressed after some CPR and Renapur.
And it has been four years on my vintage Coach journey, but the wait was completely worth it :smile:
:flowers: to all here who post their processes, their wins, their misses and those who gab, support and hang out.
Beautiful!!...what a great job. She really glows.
Two in a month ...wow...someone up there is looking out for you.

And this is the after:
View attachment 4777601View attachment 4777602View attachment 4777603View attachment 4777604
View attachment 4777605
Amazing transformation!!! She just glows! Where are you going to (or did you) carry her first??

And this is the after:
View attachment 4777605
That came out amazing.

Reactions: Lake Effect
Beautiful!!...what a great job. She really glows.
Two in a month ...wow...someone up there is looking out for you.
I believe so. There are bags I missed out on because I waited, and bags I missed out on because I did not want to spend more. I decided to go for this one!
Amazing transformation!!! She just glows! Where are you going to (or did you) carry her first??
Given COVID, probably to CVS next week.
That came out amazing.
Ty! I give equal parts credit to full grain leather properly dyed, someone who did not believe in putting this bag on the floor, CPR and Renapur.

Reactions: katev and Narnanz
This is what I got with today’s project
View attachment 4777268
View attachment 4777269
View attachment 4777271
View attachment 4777272
View attachment 4777273
it came out a bit bluer/brighter when seen in sun even though I did it in the sun. And now dry I see some thinner parts. I may just buy blue jean in a tube and use it solo but I don’t want goopy layers. Even with it slightly off color the whole bag looks brighter and fresher to meView attachment 4777268View attachment 4777269View attachment 4777270View attachment 4777271View attachment 4777272
Oh it looks great!

Reactions: aerinha
Thank you. Noticed some spots I didn’t get it on evenly. Not sure if I want to remix, buy straight blue jean in a tube and do a really light overcoat or just let it be.
I would probably leave it. One time I tried to touch up something I had painted and when I touched up, it removed the previous paint, so I almost had to start over.

This has been a project weekend for me Which necessitated buying the 32oz bottle of CPR off Amazon today as I need it to finish off my 3 in progress bags and for the purple station that I don’t know if I will dunk or not.

So far I have:
painted edges of periwinkle lunchbox
continued doing CPR on red lunchbox
started recoloring UA black Stewardess bag (why the big bottle was necessary)
made 3 new hanky style masks
spent my kohl’s cash
put gas in my car
spent an hour over various calls getting my Disney trip moved to next year straightened out knowing I still might not get to go then if they still have the no value for your money policies in place in 2021.

I need to:
put pull on red lunchbox zipper, finish cleaning its hardware, decide what I am doing about edge paint and do its final CPR and brushing.
do a final CPR on the periwinkle lunchbox
buff the black stewardess bag, see if it needs more coats of dye, decide if dying the back panel, CPR newly colored sections,
cpr the purple station
take in an exsiting mask that slips while worn

There might be more but that has kept me busy.

This has been a project weekend for me Which necessitated buying the 32oz bottle of CPR off Amazon today as I need it to finish off my 3 in progress bags and for the purple station that I don’t know if I will dunk or not.

So far I have:
painted edges of periwinkle lunchbox
continued doing CPR on red lunchbox
started recoloring UA black Stewardess bag (why the big bottle was necessary)
made 3 new hanky style masks
spent my kohl’s cash
put gas in my car
spent an hour over various calls getting my Disney trip moved to next year straightened out knowing I still might not get to go then if they still have the no value for your money policies in place in 2021.

I need to:
put pull on red lunchbox zipper, finish cleaning its hardware, decide what I am doing about edge paint and do its final CPR and brushing.
do a final CPR on the periwinkle lunchbox
buff the black stewardess bag, see if it needs more coats of dye, decide if dying the back panel, CPR newly colored sections,
cpr the purple station
take in an exsiting mask that slips while worn

There might be more but that has kept me busy.
You are very busy.

At the moment Im sitting of my lazyboy with a little dog curled up on the arm...looking for another court and deciding if I want it in BT or Forrest green or do I go for a stewardess instead.
No bags here to do at the moment... the pulley bag is still in transit.

Will be listing a few shoes and bags later on and hoping the weather clears a bit so I can take some decent photos in natural light.

What about everyone else....?......doing anything for your 4th July?

How long will the Saphir juvacuir smell last? How do I get rid of it? It is currently stinking up the garage. I want to hand it outside, but I have outdoor cat buddies who, in spite of being neutered still spray. I do not want cat pee sprayed on my bag. Although that might smell better.