Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

Hi, it’s been ages since I’ve popped in.
I stumbled across this beauty the other day and wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with this. It was marked “as is” with a note about the zipper needing to be re sewn. I don’t see any evidence of it having been sewn in the first place. Could it just be that the original leather cement dried out? Has anyone seen a glued in zipper in any of their bags of this vintage (70’s)? I did a quick search here and found a post where the same bag had the same zipper issue, but I couldn’t find any resolution to the problem. Any help is appreciated.

View attachment 5709231

View attachment 5709232

View attachment 5709233

View attachment 5709234
So I looked REALLY closely with a magnifying loupe and couldn’t see any holes from stitching on either side of the leather. Could see glue residue though. I’m guessing the upper edge of the zipper was attached with leather cement. There’s also signs of it in the front pocket as well.
I did find another post about the zipper coming loose from way back and figure that it’s a common design flaw in this particular bag. Haha, I don’t know who I’m writing this for but I know I’m not the only nerd in the room. I guess I’m just putting it out there, if you find a Suspender bag with a loose zip, leap on it. It’s a simple fix!
Sorry for the novel.

So I looked REALLY closely with a magnifying loupe and couldn’t see any holes from stitching on either side of the leather. Could see glue residue though. I’m guessing the upper edge of the zipper was attached with leather cement. There’s also signs of it in the front pocket as well.
I did find another post about the zipper coming loose from way back and figure that it’s a common design flaw in this particular bag. Haha, I don’t know who I’m writing this for but I know I’m not the only nerd in the room. I guess I’m just putting it out there, if you find a Suspender bag with a loose zip, leap on it. It’s a simple fix!
Sorry for the novel.
Appreciate it!

Reactions: Jacynthe
image.jpg
Coming along nicely. I put an app of Leather CPR on this morning and just gave it an app of Leather Therapy R/C. I’ll keep alternating and do an app of Renapur in the mix, buffing in between.
This fun and just what I needed to get motivated about my rehab pile. They way the mildew smell went away, and the quality of the leather, reminds me how I got hooked on full grain leather. BONUS - no need to polish nickel hardware. Will post at the end of the week.

View attachment 5710024
Coming along nicely. I put an app of Leather CPR on this morning and just gave it an app of Leather Therapy R/C. I’ll keep alternating and do an app of Renapur in the mix, buffing in between.
This fun and just what I needed to get motivated about my rehab pile. They way the mildew smell went away, and the quality of the leather, reminds me how I got hooked on full grain leather. BONUS - no need to polish nickel hardware. Will post at the end of the week.
Haha we all have those “problem children” lurking in our rehab piles. I have an OG Rambler who has been taunting me for the last year. I can’t even look at it anymore :sad:
Happy to hear you are making headway!

Sorry for the novel.
I wonder if they forgot to sew it and glue was the fix.

Hi all!
I have a coach rogue tote bag and the edging on the side of the strap is coming off. I bought some Kote on Amazon to recoat it, but it's very thin and does not look at all like the original. I called the coach store and it's $150 to fix it, which I thought was a bit much.

I'm hoping some of the wise women here can suggest the right product to use for the edge of the strap.

Thanks
Beth

Hi all!
I have a coach rogue tote bag and the edging on the side of the strap is coming off. I bought some Kote on Amazon to recoat it, but it's very thin and does not look at all like the original. I called the coach store and it's $150 to fix it, which I thought was a bit much.

I'm hoping some of the wise women here can suggest the right product to use for the edge of the strap.

Thanks
Beth
How many coats did you apply? Maybe you need a few more.

Hi all!

Thanks
Beth

How many coats did you apply? Maybe you need a few more.
I haven’t done this work, but I know there are a few post buried here in this thread for people who have used this type product. Birdie makes a good point; iirc this process needs lots of coats. Maybe do a search here of edge .

Hi all!

Thanks
Beth
Edge kote doesn't work well. It takes a lot of patience. You have to put on many thin coats. There are other products that work better but I don't know what they are. There was a Hermes thread a few years ago in which someone replaced the edge coating on a Hermes and it looked great. It might have been an Italian or French product. When I've had to do it, I've used fabric puff paint. It makes the smoothest surface of the things I've tried.

Someone, maybe @LunaSilver , has burnished edges that came out great. It's somewhere in this thread.