Coach Quality

Valkrie

O.G.
Jun 17, 2007
I am disappointed with Coach's quality. I went to the FP to purchase the Kristen hobo in taupe. They had four in the store and everyone of them had some kind of flaw on it so they ordered one for me. I went to pick it up tonight and the stitching was off and there was even a red thread in with the stitching. I wasn't happy with the zipper either. I told them how the quality of Coach has gone downhill. They gave me CS phone number to let them know and that I wasn't the first one to state this. I didn't purchase the bag. I can't spend that kind of money and have all of these flaws.

I can see this post going very negative..very fast. Its true with anything there are going to be Flaws. From buying a item at a dollar store, to a high end store. People have had issues with some of the bags I own, that I have not had. I have even seen posts in other "premium" forums that thier quality is going down as well. My final word is, All my bags have been perfect, holding up well, and I will continue to be a proud Coach customer.

I didn't notice any flaws on my Kristen Hobo but when I bought my Leather Peyton in Camel, every one in the store had little black specks on them. I ordered a new one from another store and that one had the black specks too! I agree...the quality of some bags especially from the Poppy line have gone downhill. It seems like they're using cheaper materials.

cheaper materials, cheaper prices, or relatively same instead of inflating like everyone else.

its one of those situations where i feel like you can either accept it and move on or reject it and move on

Okay, I can fault Coach with a lot of things...but overall, broad stroke, I cannot agree with the sentiment that Coach has quality issues.

Long gone are the days that bags are made lovingly by hand...and on the rare occasion that they are, they sell for 20 times $300 plus. I would strongly suggest you swoop up the book Deluxe...it's all about how lux has lost its luster...basically this topic on a larger scale.

If you weren't happy with the product, it's best you didn't buy it. But one mans trash is another mans treasure and I'm sure someone will be thrilled to have any of those 4 you passed on. I've been there...I think most of have...it all depends on what you can live with and what you won't accept. For example, I received my medium turquoise Kristin wallet today, I was thrilled and excited...when I turned it over, I noticed a smallish indentation where obviously something had pressed into the leather over a period of time. I realize this was probably made by the zipper pull. I shrugged, and put it away until I'm ready to use it. I can live with it...while, on the other hand, someone else would probably return it post hast. :shrugs: I can live with it, it's not a big deal...but that's just me.

It's not a perfect industry...we're talking leather, thread, and hardware...imperfections will happen...as the consumer we all have to be diligent to make sure we're buying the best of the lot that we can!

OP, I understand where you're coming from, but I think that anyone who's been buying Coach for a while knows that the quality of the brand has declined in the last year or so. However, I've noticed this trend with many others brands as well. For example, I was appalled when I received a MBMJ a few months ago - the quality was terrible. It wasn't what I'm used to from MBMJ.

Nothing, absolutely nothing in this world is perfect. If you look hard enough, you'll find some kind of flaw.

As others have said, when I purchase anything (bags, clothing, etc.), I try my best to look the item over very carefully. If I'm not satisfied, I look at others of the same kind and usually just pick the best of the bunch. If none of them are satisfactory, I simply don't buy the item.

Last edited:
Okay, I can fault Coach with a lot of things...but overall, broad stroke, I cannot agree with the sentiment that Coach has quality issues.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this point. Lately, I've seen too many expensive Coach bags with logos turned upside down and other obvious defects to say that Coach doesn't have quality issues. I don't remember seeing these types of issues until about the last year or so and they're occurring more frequently rather than less.

For example, seeing bags that retailed for $500-$900 with upside down logos on the sales floor is simply not a good look, even at the outlet. Someone should've caught that way before it ever hit any type of retail store.

Coach repeatedly states that it's striving to preserve its reputation, which admittedly has suffered in the past few years due to factors such as lack of exclusivity (i.e., everyone and their mother owns a Coach bag) by implementing measures such as decreasing production, selling less FP deletes at the outlet, trying to stop resellers, etc. Yet, selling obviously defective items at the outlet isn't exactly helping this effort. IMO, those bags should be destroyed and never allowed to see the light of day.

Last edited:
i think what she's saying is that coach may not be top notch but it is hard to find a bag w/design similarities and quality to what coach is producing at that price range

thats key to remember. like said, they have lowered some prices, or kept it the same, while other brands are inflating it.. so in a way, coach has gotten cheaper and while its not reflected greatly (IMHO) in their products you cannot expect the same quality it had, with the pricing it is now, just doesn't make sense.. when other companies are keeping their product the same quality, not better, but charging more